Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bamboo trouble

Options
  • 28-12-2010 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭

I have 3 thriving Phyllostachys bissetii at the end of my garden right in front of a wood panel fence.
    Anyone else having trouble with bamboos bending right over even though the snow was brushed off each day?
    I'm reluctant to tether it to the fence, so individual supports would be the best way to go about giving it a bit of a chance to become stable again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭kindredspirit

I think that when this bamboo grows into a big clump, then the outside stems bend down quite a lot.

What about a horizontal wooden rail attached to posts at each end?

bissetti4.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Although it's planted in front of a fence, I can actually get in behind it and do the horizontal rail, then attach the stronger shoots to it. Good idea.
    As it is, the wind seems to whip behind the bamboos and blow them inwards into the garden, so providing support at the back is probably the best plan.
    Thanks!

Advertisement