Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here goes...again!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Nules10 wrote: »
    Have you decided on a tri event for next year ?

I was aiming for the North Tipp Sprint in April but I'm now thinking of Tri Laois a few weeks earlier as I've been told the pool is the same depth the whole way which might be a little less scary for me:)

I've been totally out of it for the last week or so. No real training at all. I've just been wrecked- physically and emotionally. Picked up a horrible dose last Wednesday too so I havent been doing anything useful at all. Only real session I made all last week was Meta's spinning on Wed which was very enjoyable again. I swam on Wed morning with work but that was really floating round with a few lengths thrown in every now and then. Nothing else except for walking the dog on Saturday.

I had planned to get back on track tonight with circuit training but it hurts too much when I bend over (my sinuses are making my face want to explode out through the bridge in my nose) so I decided to leave it.

Hopefully I will make turbo class tomorrow night. I really really have to cop on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Any chance it's over-training that has you physically wrecked? I'm doing a bit of a Bally8 at the moment doing all sorts of exercise and really don't want to burn out! I'm sure you'll get back into it once you feel up to it :)

Any chance it's over-training that has you physically wrecked? I'm doing a bit of a Bally8 at the moment doing all sorts of exercise and really don't want to burn out! I'm sure you'll get back into it once you feel up to it :)

Hee hee 'doing a bit of a Bally8 ' :D love it!!

You're probably right though Micilin, looking back over the last few months I went from doing very little to doing multiple sessions nearly every day of the week. I've been loving all the training but was almost waiting for something like this to happen- I couldnt believe that I was managing to do so much for so many weeks. I suppose it had to catch up to me soon enough. Fingers crossed you dont go the same way:)

Plan is to get back into it but just focus on doing 1 quality session per day for now.

Turbo tonight. It was an easy enough session which was probably the best way of easing me back into training. My mood has lifted tonight- it's amazing how big an effect getting exercise in can make.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

It's no wonder you've been knackered B8 with the amount of swim/ bike / run you've been doing. I'd say the rest will have done you good though and you'll cme back rejuvenated!

Thursday 8th Dec - Tri club turbo session. Really enjoyed this one. Recently I was wrecked before the session even started and I was struggling my way through. Now after the few days rest I feel so much better. Had enough energy to really push myself. So much so that I thought I was going to puke at the end of the main set during a 10 second sprint. Eammon- the guy who calls the set - was delighted with me, said I had to be doing it right if I nearly spewed:D

Nearly forgot to mention I had my last physio this morning. All good. He says he can do nothing more at the moment. Its up to me to keep doing the eccentric exercises and work on strengthening my foot, hips and core. I have a list of exercises to do, really must cop on and do them from now on.

Friday 9th Dec - Decided to run out on the road today. I actually cant remember the last time I did a road run. I've been taking the easy option of the treadmill for weeks now. It was a lovely evening though so at about 3.45 I headed out in my shorts but with 3 layers on my top. I got a few strange looks from one or two local old ladies as it was bitter cold but I was grand. It was just fab. Totally fab acutally. So crisp and fresh. Ran according to feel and focused on good form. 3.05miles in 31:49. Lovely, lovely run:)

Came home and did 12 minutes on the rowing machine. I usually set the resistance at 4 but decided to up it to the max of 8 today. Managed 6 minutes at that but my arms were screaming at me so put it down to 7 for the last 6 minutes. I have a feeling I will be in a whole world of pain tomorrow:o

Saturday 10th Dec - Plan was to go on group cycle with the club but I woke at 7.10 and turned off my alarm was way too snuggly in bed to get up. Finally crawled out of it at 11 and got ready for a long cycle on my own only to discover my rear tire had no air in it at all. Tried to pump it back up but nothing happening so I just left it there and got my hybrid out. Havent been on the hybrid in months, wow it felt strange. Its so big, heavy and slow but a much more comfortable ride on these bumpy roads. Decided to do a short butextremely hilly route. Tough going but I realised Im more confident on this bike now that I've learned how to use my gears and I can definitely see strength in my legs from the turbo. About 10k in 35 mins.
    Back home and straight on the rower to do the same 12 minutes as yesterday. Then on to the treadmill for a lovely 32 min jog. First mile at 6mph, second one at 6.5 and last 1.28 miles at 6 again. No pain or aches. Good times:D

Did all my stretches and strength stuff too. Thats 2 days in a row. Lets see how long I keep that up.

Club Christmas night out tonight. Doubt I'll be capeable of much tomrorrow so scheduling it in as a rest day.

Monday 12th Dec - Finally back to circuit training after missing the last two weeks. Good session, I'm getting used to the routine now so I find I can push myself even more.

Tuesday 13th Dec - Group Turbo session. Another tough one, a repeat of Thursday nights set. Warm up lots of one legged bits then 4 X 10 second sprints and a 10 minute time trial followed by the 10 second sprints to finish main set then cool down. Even though it was very tough it found it easier than last week.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Just catching up on your log now Bally8. Everyone falls off their bike while still clipped in, it's like an induction and it ALWAYS happens in slow motion. That's some serious speed for a bike training sesssion. Really impressive - great training going on here. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks RQ, now if only I could get my swimming up to scratch. Its so dire, starting to get very frustrated at how difficult I'm finding it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Are you only learning or did you swim before? Swimming's a bitch to get right, getting it right makes it so much easier.

Are you only learning or did you swim before? Swimming's a bitch to get right, getting it right makes it so much easier.

I've always been able to swim a little - my own version of the front crawl and breast stroke but not very well. I had 6 improver lessons in Sept and Oct this year. I thought I just needed to learn how to breath properly but quickly learned that I have a lot more to improve on. My technique is very poor and it makes me very tired in the water.

:mad:
    Wed 14th Dec - Disaster swim. I'm struggling to keep my legs high enough in the water and have the correct body position. Because Im always sinking down it makes each length a struggle and Im exhausted from the effort. Very disheartening. 520m

Thurs 15th Dec - Disaster Turbo. I was out of sorts from the beginning tonight. Just seem to have lost my confidence. Its tough sometimes training with all these fit people who have been doing this for years. Its hard not to compare myself to them and always be the slow weaker one. I was dying after about 10 mins into the warm up and was really hanging on. He kept saying we should be only a little out of breath and that the main set would be tough tonight. I was already dying and my legs had nothing in them. 40 mins in with only 20 minutes left I gave up!!!
    Got off the bike and packed up turbo and all my stuff in the middle of the group while everyone else pushed on. I couldnt make eye contact with anyone as there were tears in my eyes I was so disappointed with myself. Guy beside me asked if I was ok, I said I wasnt feeling well and had to go.

Cried my eyes out in the car. I dont give up. I usually hang on and keep pushing myself even if its at a lesser pace than usual, I dont finish early, I'm usually too stubborn.

Spent Friday feeling sorry for myself and debating giving up this crazy notion of doing a triathlon. Maybe Im fooling myself that I can do this. Its 14 weeks to Tri Laois and I cant even do 2 lenghts of the pool without having to take a long break to recover:o

Saturday 17th Dec - Swim stroke work is on from 1-3 on Saturdays so I decided to go to pool at 12 to avoid as many club people as possible. Plan was to see if it was still as hard, if I was still hating the swiming and if yes then I would decide on wether I would give up or push on trying to learn.

Session went well enough. Used my fins for the first time and of course they make everything so much easier. When I took them off though it was a different story. Still it wasnt the same struggle as Wednesday so I didnt feel like packing it in. Got a lovely boost from a man who had been doing some sort of weight/ strength thing in the lane beside me. He came over as he was leaving and said that I was a lovely swimmer:). I was like a dolphin gliding through the water. I showed him my fins and said I was cheating. Still it was lovely to get the compliment especially when Im feeling like a clumsy piece of crap. Just as I was about the leave the coach from the club came in and we worked on my kicking off the wall for about 10 mins. Happy with how quickly I picked it up- made me feel less useless than usual.

Sorry for the long moany self-pitying rant. I've just lost my confidence a bit recently. I know it will pass though- I've felt like this before and battle through it. I just need to HTFU:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Good to see you got back on the horse! :) we all have those bad days/couple of days. They always pass if you slog it out.

Try using the pull buoy while swimming every so often, and really slow down your stroke, and concentrate on every movement you make, it seems to be working for me! (lol at me giving swimming tips - the blind leading the blind :P )

Good to see you got back on the horse! :) we all have those bad days/couple of days. They always pass if you slog it out.

Try using the pull buoy while swimming every so often, and really slow down your stroke, and concentrate on every movement you make, it seems to be working for me! (lol at me giving swimming tips - the blind leading the blind :P )

:) Thanks insinkerator you're right, I think I really need to slow down and concentrate on technique instead of getting 30 lengths done as fast as possible and killing myself for not being able to do it. Will try the pull buoy when I get a chance.

Sunday 18th Dec - 1100m swim. Delighted to say it was a good one and my optimism is back. Maybe I will be ready for Tri Laois, I'll give it a shot anyway:) I decided to use the fins a little as possible today as they gave me a false sense of ability and speed yesterday. In the end I did 30 lengths front crawl with no fins, focusing on body position and trying to slow down to get it right. After every 10 lengths I rewarded myself with 2 lengths in the fins and 2 lengths breast stroke. I'm still wrecked after every length, I can only do 2 at the most before having to take a break but...

Slowly slowly I will get there!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

You're do great A, as insinkerator says we all have those bad days/weeks but good to see you're raring to go again.

You running at all when you're home for xmas?

shazkea wrote: »
    You're do great A, as insinkerator says we all have those bad days/weeks but good to see you're raring to go again.

You running at all when you're home for xmas?

Thanks shaz. I wont be around till 27th so will miss the 10miler in Caherdavin. I'm kinda sorta toying with the idea of the burren charity challenge on the 27th, a 42k cycle and 6 k run but it all depends on how much I have to drink on St. Stephens Night:D

Bally8 wrote: »
    Thanks shaz. I wont be around till 27th so will miss the 10miler in Caherdavin. I'm kinda sorta toying with the idea of the burren charity challenge on the 27th, a 42k cycle and 6 k run but it all depends on how much I have to drink on St. Stephens Night:D

Oh that sounds fun on the 27th, I promised the Mammy I would go shopping with her that day so I'd be killed if I dumped her for that :). I'm hoping to do the 5 miles in Caherdavin with a friend who has just taken up running so it'll be nice and slow as it's her first race.

I think there is a 5km/10km in Shannon on New Years Eve in case you haven't heard.

I think there is a 5km/10km in Shannon on New Years Eve in case you haven't heard.

Interesting...although I did drunkenly promise guys from the club that I would run up keeper Hill with them on New Years Eve. Hopefully they dont remember:D Will def do Shannon if I can wriggle out of it.

Sunday 18th Dec pm - After walking the crazy dog I hopped in the car and drove to Nenagh for the second time today. Met up with a girl from the tri club for a run. She was ok to go at my slower pace and we had a lovely run around Nenagh. What a lovely night, so crisp and dry not too cold at all. 4.1 miles in 43 minutes. The first of many runs together I hope.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 20th Dec - Group turbo session. I was a bit anxious about going and nearly backed out but a text from a club member saying 'no excuses' spurred me on. Glad I went. I would have been easier to stay away after embarrassing myself by leaving early close to tears last week but I knew it was better to go straight back and carry on. Tough session but when we did the same set 3 weeks ago I nearly didnt make it till the end but tonight I was able to push through all the tough stuff. I have a bit of a niggle in my right leg just about my knee. I only have it when on the turbo so I dont know what that's about. A bike fit might be necessary I think.

Something unbelieveable happenend this morning, something so unlikely to ever happen that it's possible you might see pigs fly or hell freezing over- I got up at 5.50 for exercise!!!!! Anyone who know's me wont actually believe I did it, I love my bed so much. I am a lover of the snooze button and hate the fact I have to get up at 7.15 three days a week for work. Even while training for DCM in 09 I never got up early to run. But I made a committment to the club to go the the 6.30am swim session:eek:. I didnt actually believe myself when I said I would do it. I didnt even believe I would do it when I set my alarm at 10.30 last night but wow I actually got straight out of bed when it went off this morning.

The club guys did all their fish type drills in three lanes of the pool while myself and M did our lengths at the other side away from all the madness. 775m in total with lots of breaks in between lengths. I've never been in the pool with such choppy water but even though I was swallowing lots I knew it was good practice for when Im in a race or OW swimming.

Thrilled Thrilled thrilled with myself. It was so weird to be up so early when everyone else seemed to be asleep, I will enjoy the rest of the day with a smug smile methinks:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Nice work. There's nothing like getting up early, getting a session done, and then privately lording it up over everybody else ;)

Here what have you done with the real A....I am very impressed :D

Here what have you done with the real A...

Ha ha my friends are wondering the same:D

The real Anita is still here though- didnt go to turbo tonight as I felt I had achieved enough today after my early morning swim:)

In other news I got another part time job today- woohoo 2 part time jobs = 1 full time. First time working full time in 4 years!!

Only problem is- how am I going to fit in all my training? Im going to be wrecked from working 35 hours a week!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Bally8 wrote: »
    Ha ha my friends are wondering the same:D

The real Anita is still here though- QUOTE]

Yes, it's now 2.35 and you haven't posted, leave that snooze button alone ;):D

Ha ha funny digger!

Well actually you're right:o I had planned to swim again this morning but chose a mini sleep in instead:) and now I'm giving myself a few days off as reward for being a kick ass athlete now:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

5.50 am :eek: dear god I am tired typing that. Bally8 your training is coming on great especially your swimming. I am loving your updates. Are you looking forward to your first tri then ?

Nules10 wrote: »
    Are you looking forward to your first tri then ?

Looking forward definitely- but also very scared. My brain gets very scattered when I have a lot to thing about under pressure- I'm wondering what will happen me in transitions-I think I might get very flustered and forget to do something vital.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 27th Dec - First day training since last Thursday. I've been eating like a crazy woman for the last few days so decided I needed to get out and start moving a bit. I'm going on a cycle tomorrow with a few club members so decided to go on a short ride today to dust off the cobwebs. I havent been out on the road on my road bike since I fell off 4 weeks ago. Took a nice hilly route that worked the lungs a nice bit. It was getting very blustery out so I decided to call it a day after 14kms. Got back to my wall, clipped out, slowed down as I headed towards my gate then.....I FELL OFF AGAIN!!!! This time on my left side. Aagh Im a disaster. Hopped up like a flash in case my neighbours saw me. Then realised my hands were skint and my ass cheek hurt a lot:( Sulked my way up the drive, brought the bike into the kitchen to inspect the damage. My saddle was crooked, the tape on the left drops has a hole in it and my quick release levers are all scratched:(:(. Stomped down the hall to wake my husband up and tell him how cycling hates me. (My poor paramedic husband trying to sleep off the busiest, messiest night of the year)

Decided to do 20 minutes on the treadmill after that. 2.08miles then back to eating for the rest of the day:)

Advertisement