Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here goes...again!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Bally8 wrote: »

I had planned to run for 30 minutes tonight but I'm exhausted. Spent 3 hours driving today (will have to do this every Wednesday from now on) and I still have a load of stuff to do for work before I have an early night tonight. I feel sick with guilt for missing the run and not being able to log it in the SBR Challenge table. I have issues!!!

FYP :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I totally understand the sick with guilt and having issues thing. Ugh! Why do we torture ourselves so? ;) No worries, though - you are doing super! I think you're hitting your stride! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

So even though the guilt of missing a run on Wednesday was huge, I managed to go all day yesterday without doing any training at all. I had the worst day at work - ended up walking out at 11 and spent the afternoon in tears trying to decide if I was going to put myself through another day in the place or would I have the nerve (or possibly be foolish enough) to leave for good. Because of all that I was totally drained and headachey when it came to turbo class time so I gave it a miss.

Woke up this morning feeling much better - decision made I'm leaving the new job and going back to working 2.5 days a week in my old job in Shannon. I know I'm letting people down but I just couldnt cope with the abuse I was getting there.

Anyway finally some training to log - I went on a 27.25 km cycle with Mr.Bally8. I did it on my hybrd, I think I deserve double milage in the SBR challenge for that- so much harder than on the racer. A short run after of 2.56 miles. Nice easy brick session.

I havent really swam this year so far. Its ridiculous as its the area I most have to work on. Im going to try fix that from tomorrow on.

Sat 21st January
    Burrr it was cold out there today and windy! Club cycle this morning. 33.27 miles in 2:15. I found the pace very easy and never had to work hard except when battling with the wind. There are a lot of new people and while its great to have a bigger group cycling, I feel I'm ready to push for faster and longer rides now. Still I have to look at the rest of the week- I dont want to kill myself on a Saturday morning and have nothing left for my swimming and running I suppose.

Took me a good hour to heat back up to a normal temperature after the cycle. Then back to Nenagh pool for stroke work with the club. Did a few different drills to help my arms in the front crawl. He is trying to get me to try bilaterial breathing and I did a lot of different drills trying that out. I really like it, I hope I can get it right as I felt much more comfortable taking a breath every 3 strokes instead of every 2.
    950 m in total.

Rest day tomorrow as I'm in Cork for the day. But I think its probably best as I have great plans for a big week of training next week. Looking forward to it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Great training missis, you're flying in every discipline! Hope the work situation is sorted out for you asap, no reason why you should have to put up with that sort of crap.

• Advertisement

racheljev wrote: »
    Great training missis, you're flying in every discipline! Hope the work situation is sorted out for you asap, no reason why you should have to put up with that sort of crap.

Thanks rachel, the problem with my job is that I am expected to put up the all the crap they throw at me. I'm just at a point in my life where I have the luxury* I suppose of being able to say NO im not putting up with it any more.

On a more positive note - I have way more time for training again :-)

*Husband who works overtime at every available opportunity!

+1 on your training! Woo hoo! :)

Mon 23rd Jan - Back to circuit training for the first time since mid-December. My sister wanted to try it out so I ditched my run and went along with her instead. An hour and a half of good honest pain. Wow it was tough - loved it. My sister not so much- she wont be back:P

Tuesday 24th Jan - 1 hour turbo class with the club. Very tough session, everyone looked wrecked by the end. Even though I've been to a lot of turbo sessions now I'm still not up with all the lingo of how to describe what we were doing. Alls I know is that this one was a doozie:D 2 laps of the track afterwards just to get used to running off the bike.

Wednesday 25th Jan - Swim session at work. The girls were getting a lesson so I spent most of the time talking to the instructor then hopped in and joined in with their kick work. He got us to do the dolphin kick which was totally new to me. Felt very weird, I was laughing as I was flopping along but he says I was getting the hang of it by the end. Managed a few lenghts fc when the girls got out. 300m total

After work we managed to get a nice hilly walk in with the dog. It was lashing. MrBally8 and I were totally soaked by the end. His training program for the adventure race says to walk hilly routes before running them so that's what we are trying to do at the moment.

Quick change then out to the garage for an hour. 5.85 miles on the treadmill:D:D that's the longest I've ran since I got injured in July. Thrilled!! Did 5 minutes boxing after that and then a lot of my stretching exercises.

Going to try get up for my 6.30 swim with the club tomorrow:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Going to try get up for my 6.30 swim with the club tomorrow:eek:

If you agree to that, then I'll throw the end Of my Wednesday glass of red wine down the sink, set my alarm for 5.30, not press snooze and do 6 miles before work in the morning...deal?!

I've been hmmming and haw'ing (sp?!) all night about what to do....

claralara wrote: »
    If you agree to that, then I'll throw the end Of my Wednesday glass of red wine down the sink, set my alarm for 5.30, not press snooze and do 6 miles before work in the morning...deal?!

I've been hmmming and haw'ing (sp?!) all night about what to do....

Well claralara what did you do? I'm sorry I only saw your post now. Amazingly enough I got up for the swim!! Alarm off at 5.55 in the pool in Nenagh at 6.30. My first time swimming in the lane with the club. There are 3 lanes and I went in with the slow lane. There were 7 of us in it and it was nuts. Very scary stuff. I was swimming for my life most of the time. We did different sets of stroke - front crawl, back stroke and side stroke to warm up then lots of front crawl. I had to stop a lot but am very happy to say I was doing 2 lenghts and sometimes even 4 before I had to take breaks. 1150 m total.

Totally weird to be comimg out of the pool when its still dark outside. Not sure if I will ever really become an early morning person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I dumped the end of the vino, I set the alarm for 5:35, I didn't press snooze…and that's where it ended…Instead of snooze I pressed the 'die alarm, die' button and reset it for 6.35. I was just knackered and knew I had a long stinky day in work ahead of me. Plus I was really good the last 2 mornings so I didn’t feel too guilty. I did however bring my gear into work with me and, subject to my having 40 minutes free between work and PT, I will run.

Well done you though. You never know, you may become a morning person… :) I love getting out in the morning and ticking it off my list at my control, and not having to hang around to see if I'm going to get my lunch hour free, or out of work on time!

It's not a bad idea for motivation though...

Thursday 26th Jan pm - Club turbo session. This was my favourite one yet. It was all sprint work and recovery, no big gear stuff. I've never had a turbo session like this before - loved it! Sweat was flowing off me but I felt strong throughout. Much prefer light gear spinning then big gear grind.

My hubby bought me a turbo wheel today - he is the best:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Just catching up on your log....some great posts there. Well done on the early morning swim. It is great to get that exercise done and dusted before the rest of the world has even woken up.
    And good for you on the job front. Right decision....life's too short, plus any situation which gives you more time for running is all good!!

jcsmum wrote: »
    And good for you on the job front. Right decision....life's too short, plus any situation which gives you more time for running is all good!!

Thanks jcsmum, I'm glad to say I'm taking advantage of all my spare time by running etc instead of doing annoying stuff like cleaning my house:D

Friday 27th Jan
    Very enjoyable day today. I took the dog up to Coum to run the forest trail with me as he is too much to handle on lead on the country roads around the house now. 4.57miles of tough hilly trail. So beautiful up there, the views of Lough Derg are amazing. That run was better for the spirit then any meditation could be- all alone except for the horse/dog in a forest on a bright crisp day - heaven:). I walked the first mile then ran on and off for a total of 2.25 miles running. Very happy with that as even though it was tougher conditions then I'm used to I managed to run at 10:13 mile average pace. Found the downhill bits jarring on my legs- I'm aching here now as I type this.

Went to the pool after lunch for some body positioning practice. Did 6 lengths fc then 5 mins of drills that the coach gave me- a bit embarrassing really but necessary- floating holding on to the wall with my legs out behind me, standing and kicking one leg back and forwards then the other and finally holding the wall and kicking to get my legs high up like the should be. The 6 lengths and the same again x 3. Finished off with a couple extra lenghts to bring the total up to 25.

Had planned a 3 mile treadmill run this evening but my legs are sore and achy so I decided to leave it. I've done a lot this week so dont want to push my luck.

Your trail run sounds awesome! I love running the trails - it's such an adventure. And keep up the good work with your swimming! Great log you got going here! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Great work on the swimming Bally8! I'll be getting lessons from you next :).

Pulling well away from me in the SBR too! :mad: ;)

Great work on the swimming Bally8! I'll be getting lessons from you next :).

Pulling well away from me in the SBR too! :mad: ;)

It's your log that gives me inspiration for the swimming! Welcome back by the way:)

I've been on the forum every day since I last posted but I'm so interested in reading what everyone else is doing that I always forget to update my own log.

So since last Friday...
    Saturday 28th Jan - Tri club group cycle of 58.87kms in 2:25. Very very cold morning but a lovely new route. Nice group of people going, I love having the chance to chat to different people throughout the cycle makes the kms fly by. Nenagh - Moneygall - Borrisoleigh - Nenagh.

Sunday 29th Jan - 45 min walk with the horse followed by a 60 min run on the treadmill as I had left if too late to run on the road. 6.3 miles Im delighted with that as its the furthest I've ran since last July. 5 minutes constant boxing after then 18 minutes of stretching.

Monday 30th Jan - rest day, was just too tired to do anything.

Tuesday 31st Jan - Turbo class, a tough one as usual. Very enjoyable. I really wanted to stay at home and veg but couldn't cope with the thoughts of two days off in a row.

January Summary:
    Swim: 4825 m
    Cycle: 427.9 kms
    Running: 76.94 kms

Feb Aims:
    Swim: 6000m
    Cycle: 500 kms
    Running: 100 kms

• Advertisement

Wed 1st Feb:
    Last swim lesson at work. Got to try the butterfly stroke- disaster!! but fun. 280 m approx. 3.4 mile treadmill run in 30 mins after work.

Thursday 2nd Feb: Managed to get up at 5.55am, defrost my car and make it in time for the 6.30 am club swim session!!!! By 7.10 I wished I hadn't:( Had a clash of heads 3 lenghts in while doing the backstroke. It was a full force smash and I got quite a shock as I didnt realise I had strayed off course. Not sure if it was all my fault- I think the other guy had strayed off too but in the heat of the moment I was all apologies. By the end of the next length I knew I was in trouble. I had a pain across my shoulder and neck and couldnt rotate to take a breath without pain. I struggled on trying to do everything that was asked of us but had to stop after every two lengths to try massage my neck and give myself a break from the pain. Then my swimsuit got stuck on the steps for getting out of the pool as I swam past them so I ended up being dragged backwards and getting a big hole in my togs:(.

One of the guys saw I was in trouble and spent a bit of time examining me and said that I probably over rotated trying to take a breath and that caused the crick in my neck. I wasnt sure if I should swim on or get out so I battled on for a few more lengths. Managed 850m but had to stop early as I was in a lot of pain. Went home feeling very sorry for myself. The pain was getting worse as the morning progressed. It was so bad at times it brought tears to my eyes. Took some pain meds and rested for a few hours. By 4 pm I was feeling recovered enough to walk the dog. Had to cut the walk short though as it hurt evertime he yanked the lead. Missed out on my turbo class as I thought it better to let myself recover for one night instead of going, making things worse and missing more time then necessary.

And finally today...
    Neck felt much better today so I was straight into my training gear when I came in from work this evening. Set up my bike for my first ever turbo session at home and went out to the garage for a run. I decided to have an indoor duathlon using the distances I will be doing in next weeks Dromineer Duathlon. Started the stopwatch, did 3.15 miles on the treadmill in 28:25, quick run into the sitting room, off with runners on with bike shoes, quick drink of water,turned tv on then started my cycle section (def can improve that transition time:D). 18kms on the turbo - got to use my new cateye cycle computer which I put on the bike yesterday. Found it tough doing the turbo on my own, it seemed to take ages for the kms to build up. Took me 46:09 to do the 18.06k. Then runners back on, turned tv off, let dog out and ran to garage, back on treadmill for the 2 k final run. Managed that in 11:15. Total duathlon time: 1:28:44.

Continued running for anothe few minutes to cool down.

Total running 4.78 miles in 43:25.

So its not earth shattering times by any stretch but its my first ever TT so now I have something to measure my progress against. I can see myself doing this every few weeks.

Niggles around my right knee again. Starting to concern me a little. Its not pain and it wont stop me training but I feel I cant put full power into cycling or running becasue of it. Hopefully its nothing.

Saturday 4th Feb
    Epic group cycle today where all that could go wrong did. We had punctures, falls and pee emergencies, struggled with the cold and then the rain but finally made it home after 3hrs 15 minutes with 2 hrs 45 minutes of actual cycling between all the unscheduled stops. Great fun really, I could get used to the little picnics while waiting for people to change flats:D. 66.31kms total. Got home to find I had a rear tyre puncture for my trouble. That was 4 of us out of I think 12 people:eek:.

Spent an hour cleaning all the muck off the bike then changed the flat. That's over 4 hours dedicated to cycling today- what has happened my life????

Shoulder too sore for stroke work in pool this afternoon so Im going to get some other arm exercise in tonight- shoveling a chinese into me:D

You are doing super with your training, backstroke head-on collision aside. :eek: I totally know what you mean about trying to read everyone's logs.....I can't keep up! But totally enjoying your zest and stories. :)

Sunday 5th Feb
    3.5 mile run in 34:52...wait for it...outside...on the road!!! Not on the treadmill:D. I was going to be away all day and had planned today as a rest day but when I woke up I realised I had some time for a run if I just went for it so got up, dressed and was about to head out to the treadmill when I thought- 'what am I doing- its bright outside, I can run on the road' and that's what I did:). Ran 1km easy, 1km at 10k pace. Very happy to see I was able to maintain a faster pace then this time last year. Delighted to have gotten the run in before I headed away for the day and not used it as an excuse to do nothing.

Monday 6th Feb
    Swim after work this evening. I was in a lane with 2 others and as usual just felt useless and in the way for most of the session. Totally not feeling the love for swimming at the moment. I'll plod on though and hope to see some improvements over time. Today was just one of those days when I felt like I'm getting worse not better. 875m total, did a variety of strokes, front crawl, breast stroke and some kick only work and back stroke with arms out over my head. My shoulder was still aching so not sure if I was doing more damage than good.

I'm starting to re-think my goals for this year. Maybe I'm better off avoiding races which involve swimming. I could do a few duathlons and the adventure races but maybe I will leave the triathlons until next year and give myself more time to get better at swimming. Registration for the North Tipp Sprint opened today, I'll give myself a while to decide what to do.

Don't bail now Bally8! You're probably not thinking straight because of your sore shoulder. Give it two weeks and you'll be zooming around like a fish again :)

Don't bail now Bally8! You're probably not thinking straight because of your sore shoulder. Give it two weeks and you'll be zooming around like a fish again :)

Thanks insink, I went to club turbo tonight and was more of less told to HTFU and get over it:D:D. So that's what I did. I realise my swimming is crap but hey as long as I can manage to do the 30 lengths in the 30 minutes I'll be fine. I was never doing this to challenge for medals:).

Turbo class was good, I felt good and strong on the bike tonight and enjoyed pushing the pace. Did 3 laps of the track off the bike instead of a cool down in prep for Saturday's duathlon.

That's the spirit! :)
    I was never doing this to challenge for medals:).

At least not till next year ;):D

• Advertisement

Wed 8th Feb - Planned rest day. However as I drove home from work I realised I had about 45 minutes of daylight in which I could run. Was really tempted but when I got in the doggie gave me the biggest puppy dog eyes begging me to take him for a walk so all notions of a run were scrapped in favour of being dragged down the road after monster dog who hadn't been walked in 4 days. I'm finding it hard to take rest days even though if someone else at my level said they trained 7 days a week I would tell them they need a day off to recover. Glad I was forced to take my own advice.

Thurs 9th Feb - What a difference 3 days make! After the gloom of Monday's swim I wasn't looking forward to this mornings 6.30 am club swim. I needn't have worried though, I really enjoyed it. I was sh1te as usual but for the first time I didnt compare myself to others. I just had the attitude that I would do as much as I could and that would be enough. It really helped me be more positive about the whole thing. I followed the set as much as possible but pulled out to the side after every 2 lengths. So in the end I would say I did about 45 lengths less than the others in my lane. 1150m total. Excitement about this new venture into triathlon restored :D

After breakfast Mr.Bally8, Tyson and I headed up to the forest to have a trail run. It was a bit weird to be in a cloud as we ran along. Couldnt see 15 metres ahead of us. Its a very tough run, we started off walking for the first mile then plodded for a while then walked again. MrBally8 has done something to his back so he was struggling from the beginning. After a while it got too much for him so we walked back to the car. 4.12 miles with 1.24 miles running.

I should be at turbo class right now but decided to put family first tonight and stay in.

Advertisement