Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here goes...again!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

OMG!!!!! :D:D:D:D
    That is AWESOME!!!!!! I am SO happy for you. Can't wait to read the report! Woo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Fair play to you, that's class!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Bally8 that's brilliant! I think you've found your niche!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Ok so I've finally calmed down :)

Hopefully I can keep this report a bit shorter than my others...

BabyMac Adventure Race- Milstreet Country Park - 28th April 2012
    Mr.Bally8 and I signed up for this way back at the beginning of the year. We planned on using it as a practice race for the Connemara Adventure Challenge which is on in 2 weeks time. We especially needed time in a 2 man kayak after our misadventure in one on our honeymoon 2 years ago:D.

So BabyMac with its 3.5k run, 16k cycle and 400m kayak seemed idea as our first adventure race. As usual I had a few freakouts on the way to the race. Our wave didnt start till 12 but we had to be there before 10 to register. We didnt really know how long it would take to get there so by the time we were on the road with the bikes and all our gear loaded I was totally on edge thinking we would be late and they would turn us away. Poor poor Mr.Bally8 having to put up with my manic ranting as we got closer to Milstreet with the minutes ticking down to 10. We finally got there and I jumped out of the car and dashed to registration while he parked the car. Of course they were all casually waiting there, no rush on them, loads of people yet to register while I took a minute to slap myself (mentally of course) and calm down.

Plenty of time to pass then while we waited for our turn to go. Just before 12 we were gathered in the starting pen, given our instructions and then we were off. The majority of the 58 of us were first timers so it was all supposed to be just a bit of fun. I knew early on that if I had gone at my own pace that I would be with the leading bunch but that thought was quickly put aside.The plan was for us to go at Mr.Bally8's pace. He has been injured and unable to train much recently so we decided to take it nice and easy- no point getting injured today. The run seemed like a continuous climb before it finally leveled out and then the descent. We got back into transition in 35th place.

Out on the bike the first 150m was very slow going as Mr.Bally8 took a drink and we passed one or two people. Then came a huge hill on a very narrow road with grass growing up the middle. There were people all over the place going at a snails pace and for some reason the competitive streak in me took over. I knew I would pass everyone up that hill and I decided not to wait around. I went for it. I had to keep crossing over and back the grass verge to get past people. I thought to myself that Mr.Bally8 might be a bit annoyed with me- I had taken off with a shout that this was a race not a stroll. I fully intended to wait for him at the top of the hill but when I got there I just kept going. It was just so much fun over-taking people, I couldnt hold back. I decided to just go for it and see how many positions I could make up on the bike leg. I would wait for him at transition as it was the Kayak we wanted to practice together really:)

Bike was tough but as I approached the check point midway I knew I couldnt have that many people to pass anymore. A few metres on I had no one left to pass and it was clear air infront of me and behind me for the rest of the way in. I did pass a guy walking his bike up the last killer hill but I dont know if he was in one of the other races or mine. It was the toughest hill of the race but I was determined to keep on the bike. Most people walked, I knew I could do it as I've had lots of hill training on the hills here around Portroe.

Into transition I could see a few bikes racked so I thought- cool I might be 3rd or4th by now. But a marshall shouted to me- 'are you a baby?' and with that people were saying to me 'your first, keep going'. But I stopped. I promised Mr.Bally8 that we would finish together. I knew he would understand- he has pushed me from the start to just go for it but I wanted to do the kayak with him. One of the marshalls just shouted at me 'Forget him, go for it!!' and so I ran from transition and hopped into a kayak. That section was easy enough and I kept laughing to myself. I couldnt believe that I was winning a race. A short run round the lake, around the crannog and over the finish line in 1;17:27. First home. Woohoo:D

I couldnt stop smiling and it was a bit weird having people come over to me to congratulate me but I loved it really :D.

Great day for myself. Not so great for Mr.Bally8. He was knocked off his bike at about 1k in and had a damaged cleet for the rest of the cycle. Then a marshall sent him and a few others the wrong way. He ended up doing the sport cycle not the baby one!!! He was fit to be tied with anger. While I was buzzing with joy. Talk about mixed fortunes:eek:

Bally8 wrote: »
    Out on the bike the first 150m was very slow going as Mr.Bally8 took a drink and we passed one or two people. Then came a huge hill on a very narrow road with grass growing up the middle. There were people all over the place going at a snails pace and for some reason the competitive streak in me took over. I knew I would pass everyone up that hill and I decided not to wait around. I went for it. I had to keep crossing over and back the grass verge to get past people. I thought to myself that Mr.Bally8 might be a bit annoyed with me- I had taken off with a shout that this was a race not a stroll. I fully intended to wait for him at the top of the hill but when I got there I just kept going. It was just so much fun over-taking people, I couldnt hold back. I decided to just go for it and see how many positions I could make up on the bike leg. I would wait for him at transition as it was the Kayak we wanted to practice together really:)

Into transition I could see a few bikes racked so I thought- cool I might be 3rd or4th by now. But a marshall shouted to me- 'are you a baby?' and with that people were saying to me 'your first, keep going'. But I stopped. I promised Mr.Bally8 that we would finish together. I knew he would understand- he has pushed me from the start to just go for it but I wanted to do the kayak with him. One of the marshalls just shouted at me 'Forget him, go for it!!' and so I ran from transition and hopped into a kayak. That section was easy enough and I kept laughing to myself. I couldnt believe that I was winning a race. A short run round the lake, around the crannog and over the finish line in 1;17:27. First home. Woohoo:D

I couldnt stop smiling and it was a bit weird having people come over to me to congratulate me but I loved it really :D.

Great day for myself. Not so great for Mr.Bally8. He was knocked off his bike at about 1k in and had a damaged cleet for the rest of the cycle. Then a marshall sent him and a few others the wrong way. He ended up doing the sport cycle not the baby one!!! He was fit to be tied with anger. While I was buzzing with joy. Talk about mixed fortunes:eek:

I'm afraid a blood-thirsty star has been born. :D Well done, you!!

You're in a new league now. A league that has its own song....and apparently its own royal outfit, as seen in the finale of this video. Wear it well, Champion Bally8, wear it well. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64jysRDVajY

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Brilliant stuff, nice report of a champion. Congrats :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

But I stopped. I promised Mr.Bally8 that we would finish together. I knew he would understand- he has pushed me from the start to just go for it but I wanted to do the kayak with him. One of the marshalls just shouted at me 'Forget him, go for it!!' and so I ran from transition and hopped into a kayak.

All is fair in love and races:):):)

Congratulations! Fantastic win for you:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Congratulations! Delighted for you Ms. Champion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done you!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Congrats Bally8, well done.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Your somethin else! Well done. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Great stuff ! Wins don't come very often so congrats. I'd bet Mr Bally8 is proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

well done champ... brilliant stuff :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Great read.

Congrats. Has Mr Bally8 forgiven you yet??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Savage, delighted for you, well done!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Awesome! Remember that cold, dark, wet night years back you stood at your front door, wondering to go out and train, or hit the couch? Delighted to see your choice that night is paying dividends :D

Thanks for all the congrats guys. It was such a shock really. All my time doing hills on the bike definitely paid off.

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Great stuff ! Wins don't come very often so congrats. I'd bet Mr Bally8 is proud.

I was thinking about this today. I know this is a once off. This is probably the pinnacle of my racing career so I'm milking it for as long as possible:D

Great read.

Congrats. Has Mr Bally8 forgiven you yet??

Thanks BTH, Mr.Bally8 is very proud but still totally fuming over being sent the wrong way and having to do an extra long course. He is happy for me but he is all grrrrrrr:D
    Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Awesome! Remember that cold, dark, wet night years back you stood at your front door, wondering to go out and train, or hit the couch? Delighted to see your choice that night is paying dividends :D

I remember that night very well. Amazed that a newcomer to boards would know about it...

Or maybe you are an old friend in disguise:cool::cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Kurt Godel wrote: »

I remember that night very well. Amazed that a newcomer to boards would know about it...

Sure you're a legend:D

For all those powerpuffs whining about no motivation... a couple of years back, a cold black stormy winters night, tree's down, roads flooded, the forum was full of logs saying "I'm not going out in THAT!". Bally8 was still a new runner, I remember she posted about fighting against the easy option, and just going out the door to get the session done.

There's motivation! There's a winning attitude!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Fantastic....well done...great report!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Ah, that's absolutely fantastic... Well done!! :D

• Advertisement

So I suppose its time I started logging my training again. I've been very lazy about logging it recently. Last week was mainly swimming and turbo in the run up to my big race. I was very happy to manage 30 lengths in a row in the pool on Monday as my previous best was 12:eek:. Because of this I felt super confident that I was able for our first club open water swim of the year yesterday (Sunday) evening.

Boy was I wrong:o Nine of us gathered in the wind and freezing cold to brave the lake at 6pm. It was wild out there and I immediately regretted my decision to make today my first ever open water swim. Luckily the lads didnt give me time to think, they just dived straight in so I had no choice but to follow. Wooooowwweeee it was freeeeeezing. I was amazed at how it was impossible to see anything under the water and how gross the lake water tasted. Decided at that point that I wasnt going to put my head under again. I couldnt catch my breath, my body was in shock and I was babbling and giddy with terror.

On the plus side I felt good in my wetsuit. I still think its a bit too tight around the shoulders but the boyancy was brilliant. I never feared for my life or anything I just couldnt breath right and then forgot how to swim. The gang took off very quickly and I tried my best to follow but swimming without putting your head under is very awkward and I soon slowed to the breast stroke. After about 60m or so I just couldnt do anymore. I was wrecked and felt like I was holding the others back so I swam back to the shore with M and Brian minding me.

I was probably in there for only 10 minutes but I'm really happy I did it. Its so different to the comfortable, safe, warm pool. But in a weird way I like it. It was like a battle against the elements. I lost but I'm determined to come back for round two:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Tried my wetsuit on again the other day. Could do with losing a couple of pounds. :)

*hides mars bar wrapper*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Excellent result Bally8!! I looked up the results too, you took the win COMFORTABLY!! Brilliant! :)

You've basically echoed everything I felt two weeks ago when I took my first dip :). What kind of wetsuit do you have? I must get one soon, although would rather lose some of my own mars bar pounds first, so I know it will be the right size :) With the shock of the cold, what me and my friend did the last time was we walked into our chest and slowly moved out and just tread water,and kept moving till we warmed up a bit, then splashed our faces a bit before fully submerging. Probably the pansy way out, but it helped with the cold!

Have you any other races planned for the year?

Insink, that's the exact technique I use in my cold pool to get going. Legs....calves....thighs.....torso.....arms.....then away I go with head out of the water until I say feck it and just finally submerge it. :D

Excellent result Bally8!! I looked up the results too, you took the win COMFORTABLY!! Brilliant! :)

You've basically echoed everything I felt two weeks ago when I took my first dip :). What kind of wetsuit do you have? I must get one soon, although would rather lose some of my own mars bar pounds first, so I know it will be the right size :) With the shock of the cold, what me and my friend did the last time was we walked into our chest and slowly moved out and just tread water,and kept moving till we warmed up a bit, then splashed our faces a bit before fully submerging. Probably the pansy way out, but it helped with the cold!

Have you any other races planned for the year?

I have a blueseventy wetsuit. I got it off wiggle in January when it was on sale. I have no idea if it fits me right but it has to do the job for this year and next anyway. Its not my belly thats the problem (even though it looks huge in it, the fit is fine) its the tightness across my shoulders that concerns me.

The club swim in off a pier so I have to jump in so I'm totally submerged from the start. Its very deep as boats pull up there. But maybe if I lowered myself in instead of jumping in I would have time to adjust to the cold. Will try that next Sunday.

As for races the next one is the Connemara Adventure Challenge on the 12th. Then I think I'm going to sign up for TriAthlone at the end of June. Then there is the Ring of Kerry. I've signed up for Brian Boru in August too. I plan on doing Worlds End triathlon at the end of August and if my achilles holds up the Charleville half marathon in Sept. That will keep me busy enough I think :D

You have a busy calendar so! Just wondering to see if our paths would cross over the summer, so we can pit our talents against each other :).
    I'll probably bump in to you at the ROK but I don't know what my plan is in terms of triathlon for the summer. I'm definitely doing two local ones, but July and August are still up in the air!

You have a busy calendar so! Just wondering to see if our paths would cross over the summer, so we can pit our talents against each other :).

Going by your cycle and run times in training you would kick my ass!

Wednesday 2nd May
    Had to get back into in today. I had taken Monday off because it was my wedding anniversary and yesterday was my birthday. I had planned to swim after work but I had a major headache so it was straight home to bed for an hour instead.

So today I went straight out for a run the minute I came home. Achilles was a bit sore but nothing major and I was enjoying just running for running sake. Then with about 10 mins left to go I got a pain down my middle- like major heart burn or something more so than a stitch. It was awful, I found it hard to breath. It went though after a few minutes. Dont know what that was but I hope it doesnt happen again. 5 minutes of boxing the sh1te out of the punch bag after the run- I like that, it does wonders for the spirit :D

In other news I've started reading Chrissie Wellingtons book and I'm kind of falling in love with her :o

Happy birthday a day late, Bally8!! :)

• Advertisement

Going by your cycle and run times in training you would kick my ass!

Assuming I make it out of the water! :pac:

Happy belated birthday too!:)

Advertisement