Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wallpaper? or paint?

• 28-12-2010 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi all,

I want to get my kitchen decorated but the walls are not in great condition and no way do I have the money to get them replastered unfortunately! I'm basically looking for some advice as to what would be best as a few people have said that wallpaper in the kitchen could be risky. And advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Well the Kitchen can produce a lot of heat and steam, which over a time could lift the wallpaper you put up....

Give the walls in kitchen a first coat of matt paint, this will show up a lot of defects on walls, get polyfiller and fill the walls, sand down when dry and touch up pollyfiller with matt emulsion.

Woodies at present are doing 50% off on some of the crown range so might be worth checking out....Also they are doing 30% off there wallpapers also...

Personally I wouldnt wallpaper, but its your call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,621 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It depends on how bad the walls are. Ours had been patched a lot, so they were sound but uneven looking. We papered with blown vinyl with a very inoffensive ripple pattern, then painted over it. The first coat of paint takes a lot of paint and is quite slow, its ok after that.

It has now been painted a number of times and has not lifted at all. (The kittens discovered they could climb up one outward facing corner and it didn't improve the surface, but it painted over ok). I know a lot of people would consider it as offensive as woodchip, but it did the job and looks better than scruffy walls.

Advertisement