Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Depression

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

I don't think I have/am depressed but I seem to be in a cycle of anxiety these past 6 months. I came back from Oz 6 months ago and moved to London (I should add that I split up with the g/f while in Oz).

Since then, I seem to go from worry to worry. Whenever one of my worries is rectified, I seem to find a new thing to worry about. I've read that worry is not something that finds you but something that you're mind seeks out, I'd probably agree with that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Wibbs you are being extremely counter-productive to this thread.
    If you want a support/love in thread maybe AH isnt the place for it? I'm simply putting forward my opinion, if you dont like it report the post, but this after all is an opinion/debate forum, so I cant see how I'm contravening the charter. Otherwise it becomes a "ohhhh yes you're sooo right" circle jerk. As you said in your original post
    This being AH, I am aware that some smart ass c*nt will make smart assed c*ntish replies, but I hope the rest of the posters just ignore them and we can have an open debate on this issue.
    I dont see anything smart arsed or cúntish in my replies, but I can see you not so up for an open debate unless it sits with your definition of open.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    If you want a support/love in thread maybe AH isnt the place for it? I'm simply putting forward my opinion, if you dont like it report the post, but this after all is an opinion/debate forum, so I cant see how I'm contravening the charter. Otherwise it becomes a "ohhhh yes you're sooo right" circle jerk. As you said in your original post I dont see anything smart arsed or cúntish in my replies, but I can see you no so up for an open debate unless it sits with your definition of open.

Yes but the thing is that you've attacked many posters over what they have said. There is a border between putting forward your opinion and trying to prove everybody else wrong. You're moving from one to the other.

This thread has helped people figure out possible issues they may have had and it has worked. I genuinely think you've expressed your opinion enough times, don't you? You've said what you wanted to say, anything else is just you enjoying hearing your own voice/seeing your own words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Yes but the thing is that you've attacked many posters over what they have said. There is a border between putting forward your opinion and trying to prove everybody else wrong. You're moving from one to the other.

This thread has helped people figure out possible issues they may have had and it has worked. I genuinely think you've expressed your opinion enough times, don't you? You've said what you wanted to say, anything else is just you enjoying hearing your own voice/seeing your own words.

That's really unfair. Wibbs is entitled to his own opinions as everyone else in this thread. If he wants to debate what some people are saying then who are you to tell him to back off?

Like he said, this isnt a "love in" thread. And if that is what you wanted then you should have posted it somewhere else and not in AH.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Kiera wrote: »
    Like he said, this isnt a "love in" thread. And if that is what you wanted then you should have posted it somewhere else and not in AH.
    Exactly. It seems you dont want any sort of debate either. I'm not the only one on thread expressing doubts about the diagnosis of depression. And if you think Ive attacked anyone you have a very sensitive notion of attack. I disagreed and in general too. Its allowed you know. So show me an example of attack. One will do. Otherwise how about retracting that daft statement.

I have a lot of sympathy for people with mental illness of any kind. Its a complete and utter bastard of an illness that can rob people of themselves, their lives and the lives of those around them. I wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy. One of the reasons I put in my time as a PI mod on this site for over two years was trying to help on that score. I've also worked as a samaritan, so pardon me if I have an opinion.

If you want to help then rather than keep it in AH link to these two very good posts in the long term illness forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055828992 and for info on biploar and an example of one helluva strong person the OP of this one; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055807028

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭cleremy jarkson

@ boneyarsebogman - I for one agree with Wibbs posts on this matter, and I'm sure many others do aswell. But I'm reluctant to post in this thread because I feel like I'd be walking on eggshells; even your opening post lambasting potential posters for potential "****" replies..very off putting for somebody who wants to discuss depression in a manner other than telling their own personal story. If we don't want depression to be such a taboo (and it is less a taboo than it previously was, in my opinion) then we should all be freely debating the social reasons for why it exists, why statistics show it to be much more common nowadays, why increased/ better psychiatry coincides with 4 times higher suicide rates; in the long run, if we want to make a dent in it's rate of occurrance, we'll have to tackle some of the social reasons for it's existence.

Take Wibbs point that in 1990, cutting was very rare but nowadays it is much more common. It simply can't be pretended that this isn't a social meme, as opposed to a genuine natural symptom that manifests itself from depression, because it's is a social meme. Those who were doing it in 1990 who felt genuinely compelled to do so must certainly have their counterparts in 2011, but there must also be lots of people doing the same thing now in 2011 who don't feel similarly compelled but who cut anyway because they feel they are depressed and that they should "want" to cut themselves, if that makes sense.

*sigh*

I give up. I tried, I failed.

That's all.

*sigh*

That's all.

Why? I don't want you to stop posting, I'd much rather you responded to our posts.

*sigh*

That's all.

Are you serious? Dont go all Emo just cause people want to have a debate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I think the purpose of this thread was to make people more comfortable in talking about depression the may have, and to go get help, and not to convince people who are unsure as to whether they have depression or not that they are "self indulgent moany gits".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

If someone decides they have depression, do you think that society should always treat them as if they do in case they really do, or do you think that is potentially quite damaging also?
    By society, that includes medics too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

I think this thread is much more valuable if there are opinions that come from different angles.

I don't think anyone has posted anything, on either side (although, really...we're all on the same side), that has been entirely unconstructive. The points Wibbs is making are absolutely vital, in my opinion, to the education about depression - in both people who suffer from it, and people who might know someone who suffers from it. As far as I can see, Wibbs isn't claiming that everyone who's been diagnosed with depression is self-indulgent. He's not saying that depression doesn't exist. What people should take from his posts is to be aware that what appears to be depression may not actually be clinical depression, and therefore should not be treated (medically, or socially) as such. That's an absolutely essential thing for people to realise.

I don't think it's counterproductive to the thread...not unless people misread the point of posts and decide that people aren't on their side.

*edit*
    And apologies for speaking for you Wibbs...correct if wrong!

I agree that the medical industry is too fast to prescribe anti-depressants, this is why throughout the whole thread I have said that you should talk to someone, whether it be with a counselor, a friend, a doctor, or even anonymously posting on Personal Issues. Why does the suicide rate increase? It could be because we are put under extreme pressure like never before, both in society and also in our working lives. I don't know why, does anyone? There are more counselors now, but does anyone have any figures on whether people are visiting them or not? I would never go to a GP and discuss my depression, because I know I'll be prescribed medication, if not asked to consider hospitalization to help me. It's hard for me to open up to people, because the act of doing so usually ends up in being labeled "a moany git" or people just won't want to listen. This thread was created because I knew there were people like me. If I wasn't so petrified of death, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be here right now typing this message.

If you really want to try and change the way depression is here, don't ask the people who may or may not be suffering, go talk to the GPs that are too trigger happy to prescribe medication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Connie_c28 wrote: »
    Also when you speak of 50yrs ago to now. Another reason for this is the actual tools they use to diagnose. How many people in their 50's have you heard of only being diagnosed with mental illnesses because they had used alcohol to cover it.

I think Alcohol is a factor, obviously more so in Ireland. I'd say a lot of cases of depression are hidden because somebody is alcoholic or is drinking too much.

People think they are alcoholic when maybe the underlying cause is depression and drink is used as an escape mechanism, the alcoholism or heavy drinking gets seen as the problem to people from the outside looking in. They see a binge drinker, alcoholic etc. but never see the depression.

Drug taking could be similar but I've less experience of being around people with problems in that area.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I used to think I had clinical depression but as I said before the best thing that happened to me was realizing I wasnt clinically depressed just reacting to some sh1tty stuff that happened.

A qeustion I would ask is do people think labelling yourself as clinically depressed would make you more depressed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I used to think I had clinical depression but as I said before the best thing that happened to me was realizing I wasnt clinically depressed just reacting to some sh1tty stuff that happened.

A qeustion I would ask is do people think labelling yourself as clinically depressed would make you more depressed?

I don't know what you mean by more depressed? I have clinical depression in that it has been ongoing for years now and medication is the only way for me to control it. It doesn't mean I'm any more down than someone who is having a rough time, it just means I find it a lot harder to pull myself out of it.

steddyeddy wrote: »

Exactly. It's good news for a lot of people who have themselves almost written off because they think they're clinically depressed.

I think if there was a proper distinction made, and more people and doctors acknowledged that and responded accordingly, then it would be better for everyone. Genuinely depressed people would probably feel safer in the knowledge that they'd be taken more seriously and treated appropriately, and sad/angry/fed up/frustrated/discontented people who *think* they're depressed would realise that they have more control over their life/behaviour/feelings than they thought they did.

In an ideal world, anyway ;)

I think the results should actually be looked at in detail as well. 395 out of the 634 (which is an astronomical number for most polls that happen in AH) have said that they either have never suffered from depression (158) or have in the past but are doing better now (237). 239 people are suffering from depression and are receiving help (86) or not receiving help (153). When it's broken down like that, it may be a bit more realistic. For a country of over 4,000,000, it is entirely realistic that there might be 237 people who suffered from depression in the past but is doing better now with it.

How would labeling yourself as being depressed make you more depressed? This wouldn't be the case at all! If anything, it would provide a sense of relief - so you can go off and get help. Even if it turns out that people aren't depressed, they've at least gotten help with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Ah sure there's no such thing as depression , its all in the mind.

Now before I'm set upon, Everybody goes through some turmoil at some stage in their lives, I went through a few years of fairly successful self destruction , and you can take all the meds and have all the counselling in the world but its your own mind that you have to get to know and work with to deal successfully with what you go through. Some people get a great benefit out of therapy and tablets, and if it works for you then thats what matters, but you still have to actually deal with things yourself.

Seeing as everyone does get depressed in some way or another at some stage then rather than treating it as an illness we should maybe accept it as part of the human condition and stop labelling and stigmatising people for feeling what are perfectly normal human feelings and emotions. I came to the conclusion a while back that I am actually a bit mad, but I'm now quite content with that. I might be daft but I'm not a fukcin eejit altogether so now I'm happy enough dealing with my own "uniqueness".

We can't be happy all the time, if we were then we'd be a race of blissed up gimps, a "Have a nice day" saccharine soaked caricature of what humanity is supposed to be. We are what we are, for better or for worse and acceptance of this can often be the first step for people who are struggling. It might seem a bit glib or insensitive but thats my take on it.

I somewhat agree with Daroxter. Even labeling it as an illness or a disease is forever forcing stigmatizing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

*sigh*

That's all.

People have made pretty good points with regards self-harm and anti-depressants in particular. I wonder how many people reading through the thread might be prevented from self-harming from reading their intelligent responses which were sparked by your own original one? Or at least question a doctor's willingness to just shove pills at them rather than accepting it at face value?

If I wasn't so petrified of death, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be here right now typing this message.

You and 90% of us man! :pac:

dsmythy wrote: »
    People have made pretty good points with regards self-harm and anti-depressants in particular. I wonder how many people reading through the thread might be prevented from self-harming from reading their intelligent responses which were sparked by your own original one? Or at least question a doctor's willingness to just shove pills at them rather than accepting it at face value?

Now this is the part i dont get. Why would someone self harm? I just dont get it. I dont think its cause they have a MI. To me it seems like attention seeking? This is just my opinion mind. I'd like someone to change it if they could explain the reason behind self harming?

Now this is the part i dont get. Why would someone self harm? I just dont get it. I dont think its cause they have a MI. To me it seems like attention seeking? This is just my opinion mind. I'd like someone to change it if they could explain the reason behind self harming?

Maybe the pain helps them focus their mind on something other than what is going through their head? I don't think it's attention seeking, when it's done in areas that aren't visible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I'm sure someone will be able to give you a better more detailed reason for it but I think the general psychological reason behind it is two things. The desire to see a physical manifestation of whatever pain they feel inside, and during the time of the pain they are causing it gives a sense of control over their lives that they lack and can't deal with because of their mental condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

@Kiera

Sometimes people self harm becuase it allows them to "feel" something because they are totally numb emotionally.

Sometimes it is for relief of extreme anxiety. The pain can be cathartic and brings relief.

Because of the cathartic nature it can become quite complulsive for some people. Usually, a great deal of shame is associated with it and it is a "dirty secret" that the self-harmer feels that they have to keep at all costs. So, attention is not likely to be a reason for doing it.

Yes, some people cut for "attention"; a cry for help perhaps? Imagine having to go to those extremes for the attention you need. No "healthy" well-adjusted person does this.
    It's not necessarily associated with depression, though.

Seems an odd way to get attention though.

I can think of plenty of people who attention seek in other ways, be it sexual promiscuity or whatever, seems a tad extreme to me!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

I have been suffering from depression for many years, not the moany self indulgent attention seeking type.. the real ****ty horrible type..

I've been avoiding posting this for ages, why? Because it hurts like hell to actually say it out loud/type it.

I've been reading everybody else's posts, and to be honest this thread has made me go to places I didn't really want to go, but I will go there and if it can be of any help to anyone else then it might be worth it..

What pisses me off the most about my story is that there is no reason for it, no physical thing, this is the hardest thing to accept. My parents have often asked me "Did something ever happen to you?" and it sounds ridiculous but maybe if I had a "reason" it might make more sense.

I have tried every treatment available to fix this, I am lucky to have a fantastic doctor now, who knows me well and can nearly see me going down before I realise it myself. I am on medication now, I have been for years. I did go through stages of taking it then feeling better then stopping meds and hitting rock bottom again.

I have never felt suicidal, well once I did on a particular anti-depressant that I was on for only two weeks, and to be honest it scared the crap out of me the way it made me have suicidal thoughts, needless to say my doctor prescribed another one immediately.

I have to now accept that I will probably be on anti-depressants for the rest of my life, clinical depression due to a chemical inbalance in my brain.

Even though people take meds for heart conditions, blood pressure, I should feel the same about taking my meds... I don't feel that way, I hate it, there is something wrong with my brain and I can't fix it. I am a fixer, I always solve problems, find a way to make things work. I cannot fix this and it makes me mad.

I've been through the whole mill of my friends, "ah, you'll be grand!" and after many years I have realised who my true friends are, although very few understand how I feel but they understand if sometimes I say "I'm not feeling great at the moment", but most of the time they are afraid to actually ask.

I have really hurt my family in the past and god forgive me for the amount of worry and stress I have brought on them. I couldn't survive without my family, they really are the best. But I do find as they get older I tend to hide my feelings form my parents as I don't want them worrying. So I put on my "happy face", I believe if I was an actress I'd have an oscar by now with my "happy face" moments.

There are times when I feel that I just "exist" in this world, the anti depressants make it so, I am not down, but neither am I up.. I just am. But being "just am" beats being down any day.

This is a bit of a rabble because this thread has forced me to think about things that I haven't thought about in a long time, I don't think, I avoid it, it can stress me out.. what should I be doing with my life? am I happy? Do I want children? Am I too old now to have children? What is happiness anyway? Are my friends happy? And the vicious thought train hurtles along.. so without being a bimbo I avoid the thought.

I am a "bit down" at the moment, christmas and new year always hits me.. but I am ok and I will be ok. I will be happier in a few days when I am back at work and back to routine..

OK so the point of my post to show people the random rabble that goes on in my head because of depression... oh and to share the things I found helpful...

What I have found helps me:

Avoid stress if at all possible, this means work, relationships etc.

Excercise, even a little walk of 20mins per day.

Diet, sounds so simple but try eat properly.

NO alcohol or cigarettes.

Have a routine, if I have nothing planned, I do nothing.

Counselling can be great, even just to cry for an hour, I guarantee you you will feel better.

Find a good doctor, one that has time to listen and will really help, not just meds.

Somebody always cares, no matter how **** you feel please reach out and talk to someone.

Sorry it is so long, I don't know whether any of this makes sense to anyone or whether it is actually beneficial to anyone. But it is my experience and sometimes I am fine and happy as a pig in shiv and other days are just yuck..

I wish you all the best :)

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭t0mm13b

dsmythy wrote: »
    I'm sure someone will be able to give you a better more detailed reason for it but I think the general psychological reason behind it is two things. The desire to see a physical manifestation of whatever pain they feel inside, and during the time of the pain they are causing it gives a sense of control over their lives that they lack and can't deal with because of their mental condition.

Self hatred, self punishment...

Self-harming can mean a lot of things such as physical, and also emotional - if you read my posts, I'd be constantly beating myself up in the head and say "you fcukin eejit" or "why did you say that" or "just what the fcuk am I doing that for, stupid mistake", that cycle spiralled and snowballed downhill, which all the more creates a vicious cycle in which at the end of it, you're physically, and emotionally drained that you cannot get out of...

With depression comes a lot of mind-fcuking, in ways the sufferer is not even capable of discerning, hence black thoughts, physical self harming thoughts, suicidal thoughts...

It is the absence of healthy approach to stopping the "inner voice" is what gets killed off, "too many internal dialogs" - I was told that at one stage, continuously debating with myself and generally being too harsh and hard on myself... when that gets out of control, it snowballs... well that was my experience of it.... upbringing can greatly influence the outcome....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I suppose if you've never self harmed or you've never felt the urge to do it, it's close to impossible to understand why anyone would wanna do it. It's hard to explain really. I did it for years and years, and it was never an attention thing. It was completely private.

I don't remember the first time I self harmed, but after a while, it was something I was doing numerous times a day. I've never been good at expressing emotion, and I dunno, I was under such a lot of pressure when I was younger, to perform academically. It's a bit like water boiling in a pot... eventually it spills over the sides. I wanted to say, "I can't do this" or "This is too much" but letting people down is something I hate... so when everything got too much, I took it out on myself.

It probably sounds crazy, but it does become addictive. That's why I don't think every self harmer can be classified as an 'attention seeker'. I made sure no one found out 'cause the thought of anyone making me stop was actually unbearable. I had no idea how I'd ever be able to live without SI, 'cause I needed that flood of relief the way an alcoholic needs a drink.

• Advertisement

Novella wrote: »
    I suppose if you've never self harmed or you've never felt the urge to do it, it's close to impossible to understand why anyone would wanna do it. It's hard to explain really. I did it for years and years, and it was never an attention thing. It was completely private.

I don't remember the first time I self harmed, but after a while, it was something I was doing numerous times a day. I've never been good at expressing emotion, and I dunno, I was under such a lot of pressure when I was younger, to perform academically. It's a bit like water boiling in a pot... eventually it spills over the sides. I wanted to say, "I can't do this" or "This is too much" but letting people down is something I hate... so when everything got too much, I took it out on myself.

It probably sounds crazy, but it does become addictive. That's why I don't think every self harmer can be classified as an 'attention seeker'. I made sure no one found out 'cause the thought of anyone making me stop was actually unbearable. I had no idea how I'd ever be able to live without SI, 'cause I needed that flood of relief the way an alcoholic needs a drink.

@Novella: I can completely relate to what you've said and you've summarized it very nicely and well put... yes.... I wanted to perform better, but because of masculinity role, I applied a lot of pressure on myself, and when I am under pressure, I could not handle myself, and instead let others down, hence the beating up psychologically, it would apply to both sexes, but for males, a tendency to push themselves a lot more harder physically is what can be seen as a counter-productive thing...

maybe because of the way socio-economical society has a bearing on it, that males outperform or push themselves too hard, themselves and get burned out... that's another aspect of depression, completely burned out, with no joy in anything combined with mind fcuking... vicious cycle...

maybe that might help in some way to explaining why males tend to commit suicide in a more severe way....

the role of being a "macho" has to stop for males, applying too much pressure to gain status, be it material, physical, emotional, that can back-fire a helluva lot more than to be realized, hence males just bottle up and get drunk/drugs/promiscuity to blank out the emotional/mental thing...

I was and still am, not really capable of talking about emotionally, I'll mutter or grumble "ah yeah"... but the reality is, it is harder for males to talk, some don't want to be seen as wimps or a bit soft... again, society in some way has to be blamed for the pressure there....not alone that, stereotypical portrayal of males, having six-packs, beating the crap out of another, saving the world, driving fast, having beautiful women... sigh... its all completely and utter b.s.....

I think the results should actually be looked at in detail as well. 395 out of the 634 (which is an astronomical number for most polls that happen in AH) have said that they either have never suffered from depression (158) or have in the past but are doing better now (237). 239 people are suffering from depression and are receiving help (86) or not receiving help (153). When it's broken down like that, it may be a bit more realistic. For a country of over 4,000,000, it is entirely realistic that there might be 237 people who suffered from depression in the past but is doing better now with it.
    It still seems excessively high. Only 1 in 4 have never suffered from it? And this in a predominantly young demographic?
    How would labeling yourself as being depressed make you more depressed? This wouldn't be the case at all! If anything, it would provide a sense of relief - so you can go off and get help.
    With respect that's a very subjective view. Others may see the diagnosis as a weakness, a failing in their mind/brain and yes even a social stigma, that could affect their personal and working lives. Then you could get into the "oh well its a disease you know so little I can do about save for taking the tablets" Then throw in an online support group who in the welcome process of support also bring a level of self perpetuation into the condition. I've seen that with other illnesses far away from the mind/brain. I've seen it most commonly with type 2 diabetes. People with mild cases, that basically just ate too many bloody pies and crisps, when given the choice of diet/lifestyle changes to manage even reverse the disease, just take the easy way out with tablets. Cos the other way would be just too much work. Same with people who go for gastric bypass. You know you could just eat less. It's not easy, but its doable. You have the power. People can be lazy indolent gits and if you give them a label which also increases their feelings of belonging to a group then a diagnosis of depression could well turn it into a lifetime chronic thing, rather than an acute episode or phase. I remember being a teenager and I remember others, some of whom were moany emo goths/cureheads who positively wallowed in that kinda thing(had a bit of a wallow myself). Fair play, they were being bloody moany teenagers fighting hormones and expectations. It's their job. Plus some people can get some positive feedback from it. You would think how? Given how awful it can be, but some can get social proof and social excuses from it. It can give them an excuse to be self centred. The "I'm sick you know". You get that with other physical illnesses so I dont see why MI would be immune.

As for stress? Maybe. I dunno. If it had been higher in the 70's and 80's in Ireland(when things were really bloody tough for many) and lower in the late 90's early noughties I could go along with the stress thing. Plus I've read of studies where low level stress seems to help. People living in totalitarian regimes or in wartime have much lower levels of depression and significantly lower levels of suicide(and heart disease and stroke funny enough). So maybe people actually have it to easy? Kinda like allergies may occur because the environment is too sterile and the immune system has the ammo so its gonna use it, so maybe the increase in MI is down to the mind/brains immune system having less "normal" work so gets way too sensitive and fires off at anything?

Wibbs wrote: »
    As for stress? Maybe. I dunno. If it had been higher in the 70's and 80's in Ireland(when things were really bloody tough for many) and lower in the late 90's early noughties I could go along with the stress thing. Plus I've read of studies where low level stress seems to help. People living in totalitarian regimes or in wartime have much lower levels of depression and significantly lower levels of suicide(and heart disease and stroke funny enough). So maybe people actually have it to easy? Kinda like allergies may occur because the environment is too sterile and the immune system has the ammo so its gonna use it, so maybe the increase in MI is down to the mind/brains immune system having less "normal" work so gets way too sensitive and fires off at anything?

My opinion is that this could be true. Also, I believe that suicide rates are lower during times of war because there is a common sense of purpose shared by everybody and men who would otherwise have been unemployed or working in mundane jobs all of a sudden find themselves fighting alongside those who where of higher social standing before the war, all with a common goal. The same could be said for totalitarian regimes, where everybody is in the same boat, coping with adversity together.

I wonder if the simple process of not labeling it as a disease or illness might somewhat prevent the over-reliableness of medication. Calling it a disease/illness puts it into the same category as cancer, AIDS and so on. In that way I mean that those can only be prevented/helped with the use of medication, however depression doesn't require it as such in most cases. Even the referral to long-term illnesses/diseases shows this to a certain extent. I wouldn't post in there because of my depression, as I don't see it as a disease or an illness. It is something that simply is. I don't know, that might have no impact whatsoever.

With anonymous voting, it's near impossible to know what the demographic is that has voted. It can be any age group, any gender. But I thought having public voting would greatly reduce the possibility of people coming forward.

My opinion is that this could be true. Also, I believe that suicide rates are lower during times of war because there is a common sense of purpose shared by everybody and men who would otherwise have been unemployed or working in mundane jobs all of a sudden find themselves fighting alongside those who where of higher social standing before the war, all with a common goal. The same could be said for totalitarian regimes, where everybody is in the same boat, coping with adversity together.

This is largely true I think. There is no sense of purpose for most people. That's what almost made me do it, that there was no purpose to my life and that things will never get better.

I think that one is a very subjective thing. For some people it might make them feel stigmatised, but for others giving it a name might help them to deal with it. I've heard people say that not knowing why they felt the way they did (not necessarily depression-related) made the whole thing worse. Being able to put a name on it to explain how they were feeling was like an acknowledgement of those feelings and helped them to get their heads around how to deal with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Depression is inward rage. And should be treated as such.

I think that one is a very subjective thing. For some people it might make them feel stigmatised, but for others giving it a name might help them to deal with it. I've heard people say that not knowing why they felt the way they did (not necessarily depression-related) made the whole thing worse. Being able to put a name on it to explain how they were feeling was like an acknowledgement of those feelings and helped them to get their heads around how to deal with it.

This isn't entirely related, but for years I would get racing heart beats without knowing what was causing it. The doctors were never able to fully diagnose it, because it happened so infrequently or never happened when I was wearing a heart monitor, that they were never able to catch it. Sometimes I would get them standing still, or bending over, or even just sitting down. The resting heartrate is 20 beats in 15 seconds, I would get 50 by simply standing still. By chance I was in hospital visiting a friend when it happened and they were finally able to capture it and witness it happening and was finally diagnosed with mild arrhythmia. Even the fact that it now had a name made it feel more manageable. So while it is subjective, there is something there to a certain extent.

Dotsey wrote: »
    Depression is inward rage. And should be treated as such.

Now that's just a silly statement and very trollish! Care to back it up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

This is how I felt! I though I had some illness that was making me tired all the time and I had no energy of motivation. But when I spoke to my doctor and nothing came back in my blood tests, it became clear that I had suffered from depression for years. And it did make me feel better that now I knew what treatment and lifestyle changes I needed to make in order to improve myself. It took a while for my medication to work, but I did feel a little better starting on it, knowing I was taking control of the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Its not silly when you think about it. When something is getting you down find a way of letting it out, then think about what inward rage is. A psychiaterist friend told me this

This is how I felt! I though I had some illness that was making me tired all the time and I had no energy of motivation. But when I spoke to my doctor and nothing came back in my blood tests, it became clear that I had suffered from depression for years. And it did make me feel better that now I knew what treatment and lifestyle changes I needed to make in order to improve myself. It took a while for my medication to work, but I did feel a little better starting on it, knowing I was taking control of the situation.

The palpitations is another thing that can cause the anxiety and the panic inside to such an extent it can overwhelm....combined with literally sh!tt!ng everyday...it does make things worse...the effexor does make me calmer on the inside in that I don't get those anxieties..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Its not silly when you think about it. When something is getting you down find a way of letting it out, then think about what inward rage is. A psychiaterist friend told me this

Yeah, I don't think you're being silly or trying to troll. I actually studied Psychology in college and we once had a talk from someone whose name I can't remember and it was titled, "Depression - Rage Turned Inward" so yeah, it is something that many people believe. I obviously wasn't listening very well that day, 'cause I don't really remember what was said, but I know that what you're saying isn't something you're just making up!

t0mm13b wrote: »
    The palpitations is another thing that can cause the anxiety and the panic inside to such an extent it can overwhelm....combined with literally sh!tt!ng everyday...it does make things worse...the effexor does make me calmer on the inside in that I don't get those anxieties..

You may have quoted the wrong person? The doctors in the hospital did try and prescribe me medication that would prevent it, but I knew it was manageable, that it didn't scare me anymore and that I could stop it, so I said no.

Still not buying it. I've never met someone who is depressed and seem angry? They just seem sad and when they talk about it they have never once mentioned anger? Am i just not looking deep enough into what you're saying or what am i missing here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

I think the results are not an accurate reflection of depression in society or even depression among boards users. This is my first post on the subject although i voted days ago.

Once i seen a thread on mental illness on AH i imediately went in to it. AH has a very large traffic and anyone who has suffered depression or another mental illness is likely to have clicked in and voted. Many others will either not have been interested enough to read it or vote. But you can be sure anyone who is depressed will have at least voted.

• Advertisement

You may have quoted the wrong person? The doctors in the hospital did try and prescribe me medication that would prevent it, but I knew it was manageable, that it didn't scare me anymore and that I could stop it, so I said no.

My bad - yeah I quoted the wrong person... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭C_Dawg

Depression is like anger without enthusiasm is something I've heard. I'd be a fairly angry and bitter chap.

@ boneyarsebogman - I for one agree with Wibbs posts on this matter, and I'm sure many others do aswell. But I'm reluctant to post in this thread because I feel like I'd be walking on eggshells; even your opening post lambasting potential posters for potential "****" replies..very off putting for somebody who wants to discuss depression in a manner other than telling their own personal story. If we don't want depression to be such a taboo (and it is less a taboo than it previously was, in my opinion) then we should all be freely debating the social reasons for why it exists, why statistics show it to be much more common nowadays, why increased/ better psychiatry coincides with 4 times higher suicide rates; in the long run, if we want to make a dent in it's rate of occurrance, we'll have to tackle some of the social reasons for it's existence.

Take Wibbs point that in 1990, cutting was very rare but nowadays it is much more common. It simply can't be pretended that this isn't a social meme, as opposed to a genuine natural symptom that manifests itself from depression, because it's is a social meme. Those who were doing it in 1990 who felt genuinely compelled to do so must certainly have their counterparts in 2011, but there must also be lots of people doing the same thing now in 2011 who don't feel similarly compelled but who cut anyway because they feel they are depressed and that they should "want" to cut themselves, if that makes sense.

I don't know if cutting is more common now or its just that people perceive it as so, because it is talked about more now. There was very little awareness of depression 20 years ago, tended to be covered up or whispering comments about bad nerves!

To me, that would be a big reason in a higher detection rate i.e. people are more aware of depression now, that it exists, that it isn't bad nerves and help is available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Still not buying it. I've never met someone who is depressed and seem angry? They just seem sad and when they talk about it they have never once mentioned anger? Am i just not looking deep enough into what you're saying or what am i missing here?

Kiera, depression is manifested in many different ways.

Before a low spell, I can spend weeks literally seeting with frustration, resentment and rage.

I have learnt to control my anger, luckily I have never been violent, but when I was younger, I would literally start arguments and rows any kind of chaos really,because the tension of this anger would overwhelm me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

I have been suffering from depression for about 3 years now. At the minute with the help of antidepressants, I am doing great and for the first time in 3+ years beginning to actually feel normal.

It started in my final year of college and I still haven't managed to hand in my thesis although the college has been very accommodating.

I went from having the ability to tap out a 2:1 essay in a day if pushed to being unable to write a sentence without coming close to having a panic attack. Even the thoughts of finishing my dissertation now scares me as I'm afraid I will "go mad" again. This especially has been the most frustrating aspect for me as I know I'm well capable of doing it. At one point I hated myself so much for not being able to do it I started to cut myself.

My main symptoms were constant agitation and constant anxiety over nothing. Because I was so anxious all the time I couldn't get any sleep until I actually passed out from exhaustion, sometimes I would be awake for two days straight . My sleep pattern has only come back completely normal now in the last two months.

I didn't want to go out get dressed, do anything. I couldn't even think, it was like my brain was not working everything was a fog.

A lot of the time I almost wished I had a more visible illness, at least then people would maybe understand why I was the way I was.

I was lucky because my mother is a psychiatric nurse and has a history of depression herself so I had someone who understood and who was able to get me the right help.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement