Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Depression

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Odysseus wrote: »
    Can I ask why people are using the term clinical depression as a diagnosis, there are different types of depression but "clinical" is not one of them. A disorders are clinical disorders
    I think people are using that term here to signify that they have, at some point, had a diagnosis of depression, as opposed to assuming that what they are or have experinced at some point was depression.

as a number of people have pointed out, it is a word thrown around lightly these days.

Of course, this doesn't mean to say those who haven't been diagnosed wouldn't satisfy the criteria for a diagnosis. Only a dr can decide that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭C_Dawg

Can I ask why people are using the term clinical depression as a diagnosis, there are different types of depression but "clinical" is not one of them. A disorders are clinical disorders

To be fair people can only say what they've been told by the doctor. If the self-diagnosed are saying it then fair enough in what you're saying. I was never really told what I have exactly apart from the fact I just have "depression" but the psychiatrist did mention what I have now used to be called endogenous depression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

C_Dawg wrote: »
    To be fair people can only say what they've been told by the doctor. If the self-diagnosed are saying it then fair enough in what you're saying. I was never really told what I have exactly apart from the fact I just have "depression" but the psychiatrist did mention what I have now used to be called endogenous depression.

Yeah that's a fair point, which is why I'm asking the question, they used to make the distinction between endogenous and reactive but it is a tad out dated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Yeah that's a fair point, which is why I'm asking the question, they used to make the distinction between endogenous and reactive but it is a tad out dated.

Is the term unipolar depression ever used?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Would you maybe have a decent/reputable link to show different types of depression?

I have looked but there seems to be so many different sites and different names for it I wouldn't want to link to an out of date site.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

Can i just ask someone,what are the effects of anxiety for someone that is suffering depression,or how is it seen,or does it over-lap or what....???

Ok, just imagine the feeling you would get if you for example just realized you had a vitally important exam in two hours and you haven't studied for it.

Now multiply that by two and imagine having that feeling constantly for no logical or discernible reason along with feeling miserable and being completely unable to do or enjoy anything.

That's how it was for me at my worst point anyway.

Anxiety was the worst symptom for me, (I was diagnosed with clinical depression with generalized anxiety symptoms.)

Just curious about the diagnoses of depression by a doctor. Is this done on one lone visit or is it something that is diagnosed after multiple visits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

I would rather people speak to professionals, just my opinion but its based upon over a decade of clinical work. I'm not knocking the work you do personally, but I get to see it when it goes wrong, sometimes very badly. I'm visiting a client tomorrow would is now in a psych unit after friends from a support group adviced him to come off him meds.
    I think you'd be hard pushed to find anyone with a bit of experience in the area to endorse that approach though. I mean, we both know it's hard to see where the support/advice line is but people with no medical training giving advice on medication like that is clearly a situation where the line has been crossed (and how).

@ almanu (and others): finding the right balance between medication and 'talking therapies' for each individual (it does vary) is vital. While the endogenous/reactive distinction might be somewhat outdated, depression varies hugely from each person to the next so there can't just be one treatment for everyone. I've heard many say that GPs are too ready to auto-prescribe but likewise, it can be damaging to leave depression untreated.

The Irish Times had an article the other day entitled Are drugs replacing care in our mental health facilities? which you might find interesting. The key is working with each person to find what works for them.

Just curious about the diagnoses of depression by a doctor. Is this done on one lone visit or is it something that is diagnosed after multiple visits?

If diagnosed through the ICD-10 criteria, google it, it can be done in one session. The criteria is simple enough. That does not mean there is no need for follow ups and reviews.

Having depression, or any other mi, is not dependent on a dr telling you what is is wrong with you. I know of two people who were both diagnosed with bi-polar and both of these diagnoses were refuted by different psychiatrists .

Did those people have bi-polar when one dr said they did and not when the other said they didn't?. Their symptoms remained unchanged. One went from a diagnosis of bi-polar disorder to depression and the other to borderline personality disorder. Presumably, if they went back to their origional psychs, they'd be reclassed as bi-polar.

Of course, one or both psychs could have been wrong but at the end of the day all a diagnosis is is a label given to a set of symptoms which helps the professionals to group these symptoms into categories to assist them to treat an ill person.

I had a diagnosed episode of depression. Did I fit the criteria? Oh, most certainly! Do I think i was cognitively disordered? My brain chemistry gone awry? No. I think I was in extreme distress and incapable of dealing with it. Did I need help at the time, most certainly. But the best help came from neither meds nor drs. (With no disrespect intended to anyone from the profession)

My point being, that overtime the different labels for different sets of symptoms will continue to evolve and change. I'm guessing that Depression will be grouped into more and more subsets and some people who are diagnosed with depression now would, if presenting with the same set of symptoms in 30 years time, be diagnosed with something completely different again.

• Advertisement

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    I think you'd be hard pushed to find anyone with a bit of experience in the area to endorse that approach though. I mean, we both know it's hard to see where the support/advice line is but people with no medical training giving advice on medication like that is clearly a situation where the line has been crossed (and how).

In that case it was a support group, where member would have no training. Most support groups do not have professionals such as AA etc. Other groups would have a facilitator I think aware may work that why who would have some training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I was pretty much diagnosed my first visit. We did blood tests to make sure there was no other cause for my symptoms, and when they came back clear, we talked about treatment. Same for a friend of mine.

If diagnosed through the ICD-10 criteria, google it, it can be done in one session. The criteria is simple enough. That does not mean there is no need for follow ups and reviews.
    One session and a label that will haunt you for life!

Crazy that such a complex illness that has symptoms that overlap in other complex illnesses and can be caused by certain meds is diagnosed so rapidly!

See my last post for an example

Well I started seeing the psychiatrist back in 2005 about the anxiety. Had two or three visits with him and was referred onto a psychologist (not sure if that's the correct title) for CBT. It wasn't until I broke down in 2009 that I was told I was depressed.
    yahoo_moe wrote: »
    finding the right balance between medication and 'talking therapies' for each individual (it does vary) is vital. While the endogenous/reactive distinction might be somewhat outdated, depression varies hugely from each person to the next so there can't just be one treatment for everyone. I've heard many say that GPs are too ready to auto-prescribe but likewise, it can be damaging to leave depression untreated.

I went to see a counsellor paid for by work. I happened to mention it in passing the next time I was seeing the psychiatrist and he was against it from the point of view of treating the cause of the depression but said it could help with coping with it, if that makes sense. Like I wasn't abused or anything traumatic to cause it so there would be nothing to talk about in that regard.

When I first started feeling down I went to a psychologist but tbh it didn't really work for me.

Then when it got really bad I went to my gp first, she wasn't actually there that day so the doctor filling in for her diagnosed me with depression, and prescribed me antidepressants.

I went back another day as I wasn't really happy with the quick diagnosis etc. My gp immediately referred me to a psychiatrist. She also checked me for other causes such as thyroid deficiency etc (another thing the other doctor didn't bother to do:rolleyes:)

The psychiatrist confirmed the diagnosis and became in charge of meds etc.

I thought it was very scary that the first gp would just dole out meds without even referring me to an expert. I'm very glad I have a good gp and a family who are familiar with "the system". You really have to learn to be your own advocate.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    One session and a label that will haunt you for life!

Crazy that such a complex illness that has symptoms that overlap in other complex illnesses and can be caused by certain meds is diagnosed so rapidly!

See my last post for an example

A good assessment would not just be looking for one thing it would be ruling out others too. Then as I said follow up and review, I don't get you about it haunting you for life though.

Well I started seeing the psychiatrist back in 2005 about the anxiety. Had two or three visits with him and was referred onto a psychologist (not sure if that's the correct title) for CBT. It wasn't until I broke down in 2009 that I was told I was depressed.

I went to see a counsellor paid for by work. I happened to mention it in passing the next time I was seeing the psychiatrist and he was against it from the point of view of treating the cause of the depression but said it could help with coping with it, if that makes sense. Like I wasn't abused or anything traumatic to cause it so there would be nothing to talk about in that regard.

Again we have an example here of the unchallanged "bio-chemical" cause of depression. As wibbs has pointede out, there has in fact been no conclusive evidence for this. They still do not know the exact way ssris work!

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that there aren't people who have a bio-chemical imbalance. But everyone who presents with these symptoms? Come on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Silly place to have a thread like this. I don't doubt that this is an important issue and what have you, but if you come to After Hours for information, depression isn't your only problem.

He sounds like a dinosaur to me, you don't that to have experienced a trauma like abuse to be in therapy, therapy is talking about your life putting words on your experiences. Making sense of your personal journey through life. Most psych's today suggest some form of talking therapy.

• Advertisement

Again we have an example here of the unchallanged "bio-chemical" cause of depression. As wibbs has pointede out, there has in fact been no conclusive evidence for this. They still do not know the exact way ssris work!

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that there aren't people who have a bio-chemical imbalance. But everyone who presents with these symptoms? Come on?

I honestly think that in my case, because of the strong family history etc it was mostly bio chemical. I believe that an initial stresser at the wrong time can trigger all sort of reactions in the brain.

However I agree this is not the only cause of depression, just one of many.

Silly place to have a thread like this. I don't doubt that this is an important issue and what have you, but if you come to After Hours for information, depression isn't your only problem.

It seems to have been (so far) a very interesting,helpful, eye-opening, compassionate and informative thread..

As far as I understand After Hours is supposed to be like chatting to people down the pub..

I don't think anyone is coming specifically to After Hours for information about depression, it is a discussion about depression.

If you have read through all the thread as far as this then fair enough if that is the assumption you have made of anyone suffering from depression, if you haven't read all of it and thought that a witty post would make you popular then I feel that maybe you are in the wrong thread.

A good assessment would not just be looking for one thing it would be ruling out others too. Then as I said follow up and review, I don't get you about it haunting you for life though.
    One assesmant is not adequete for a definitive diagnosis. Certainly, it should be putting you in the right direction as in ??depression. But you shouldn't be starting with a diagnosis and working backwards. You should be working towards one. someone could be on the depressive cycle of bi-polar. When people are depressed they wil commonly tell you that "they've been like this for a long time" "i don't remember feeling any other way". They are not lying, but they are not capable of seeing paast the temporary nature of the negative feelings that engulf them. So any questions that would point to a previous manic phase won't give you the answers you need to rule out bi-polar.

Really, mental health professionals should listen more to those of us who have come out the other side.!

I honestly think that in my case, because of the strong family history etc it was mostly bio chemical. I believe that an initial stresser at the wrong time can trigger all sort of reactions in the brain.

However I agree this is not the only cause of depression, just one of many.
    Hey, I hope you don't think i was getting at you! Far from it. Whatever the cause for you, I hope you do get to the bottom of it and get it sorted soon. And whatever's working, use it!

In my first post on this thread I did say I'm not here to argue this or that. I'm only speaking of my own experiences. When I feel low I feel low, the thought of whether it's bio-chemical or trauma is the furthest thing from my mind at that point haha

One assesmant is not adequete for a definitive diagnosis. Certainly, it should be putting you in the right direction as in ??depression. But you shouldn't be starting with a diagnosis and working backwards. You should be working towards one. someone could be on the depressive cycle of bi-polar. When people are depressed they wil commonly tell you that "they've been like this for a long time" "i don't remember feeling any other way". They are not lying, but they are not capable of seeing paast the temporary nature of the negative feelings that engulf them. So any questions that would point to a previous manic phase won't give you the answers you need to rule out bi-polar.

Really, mental health professionals should listen more to those of us who have come out the other side.!

One session from a psyc viewpoint with a GP should highligh mild depression, my understanding if does not look like mind depression then a psych evaulation should be requested by the GP. However, if some present with severe depression it is generally easy to recognise.

I saying this as a psychoanalyst who work in a facility with GPs and Psych's. My diagnosis differs from the ICD-10 and the DSM but I'm familar with both, I make what is called a preliminary diagnosis, finally one is really only made at the end of therapy.

As for listening to clients well that is what I'm paid to do.

As you said the whole is very complex, and on the medical side they are only working with what the lastest research and their experience had taught them. I'm just back off sick leave after 6 weeks of a "viral infection" they stilll do not know exactly what is wrong with me, so it's the same with the physical side.

• Advertisement

In my first post on this thread I did say I'm not here to argue this or that. I'm only speaking of my own experiences. When I feel low I feel low, the thought of whether it's bio-chemical or trauma is the furthest thing from my mind at that point haha
    Hey, i've no argument with you at all and apologies if that post came across that way. I agree totally about the cause being irrelevant when you are in the grip of it.

Hey, i've no argument with you at all and apologies if that post came across that way. I agree totally about the cause being irrelevant when you are in the grip of it.

No need for apologies at all. Sorry if that came across as flippant. Tis hard to get the words right on here haha :)

Hey, I hope you don't think i was getting at you! Far from it. Whatever the cause for you, I hope you do get to the bottom of it and get it sorted soon. And whatever's working, use it!

Nope I didn't think that at all sorry if I gave off that vibe, just giving my opinion based on my own experience. :)

One session from a psyc viewpoint with a GP should highligh mild depression, my understanding if does not look like mind depression then a psych evaulation should be requested by the GP. However, if some present with severe depression it is generally easy to recognise.
    It appears that Prof McKeon consultant Psychiatrist and medical director of St Patrick's hospital (not sure if he still holds this position), disagrees:

Difficulties
    The central difficulty with bi-polar disorder lies in the fact that sufferers
    generally go to their doctor because of their depressive symptoms: and of
    course if they only report their depressive symptoms and are treated with antidepressant
    medication, their high periods will become more severe, and the
    following depressive episode is likely to be worse also

This is taken from notes of a lecture given by Prof McKeon to Aware in 2005. See here:
    http://www.aware.ie/images/uploads/aware_bipolar_lecture_jul05.pdf

I saying this as a psychoanalyst who work in a facility with GPs and Psych's. My diagnosis differs from the ICD-10 and the DSM but I'm familar with both, I make what is called a preliminary diagnosis, finally one is really only made at the end of therapy.

Any "diagnosis" you make as a psychoanalysist is not the same as a clinical diagnosis made by a dr., who is the only professional with the professional and legal authority to clinically diagnose and prescribe treatment for an illness. You are not a dr. Reading the diagnostic manuels and working alongside Gps and psychs does not give you the professional authority to publically state what should be easy for a dr to diagnose quickly. Psychiatric nurses are also very familiar with these manuels and work alongside GPs and Drs. They do not diagnose, however. It isn not part of their job just like it is not part of yours.
    Stop trying to equate a "diagnosis" made by you at the end of "therapy" to the diagnosis made by a dr when a patient presents with symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

foxinsox wrote: »
    It seems to have been (so far) a very interesting,helpful, eye-opening, compassionate and informative thread..

As far as I understand After Hours is supposed to be like chatting to people down the pub..

I don't think anyone is coming specifically to After Hours for information about depression, it is a discussion about depression.

If you have read through all the thread as far as this then fair enough if that is the assumption you have made of anyone suffering from depression, if you haven't read all of it and thought that a witty post would make you popular then I feel that maybe you are in the wrong thread.

Point taken, and I do understand that nearly fifty pages of posts means that this thread has been an After Hours success story as threads go. No doubt depression is an important issue and affects a large amount of people. I know many that have been affected and I know it is a terrible thing.

To respond to the condescending part of your post there, I think it is pure bollocks that you think I'd come into a thread about depression and try to make a "witty" comment to make me "popular". To be honest, I haven't nor will ever care about what others think of me, and popularity hasn't mattered to me in reality, nevermind the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Men, especially younger lads we'll say under 30, listen up alright - talk to someone about it - close friends and people you can trust. Communication beats silence any day.

Talking in theory seems a good idea, but when all your family want to do is criticise you for being depressed/moody, then i can tell you its bloody difficult to open up to those nearest to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

grenache wrote: »
    Talking in theory seems a good idea, but when all your family want to do is criticise you for being depressed/moody, then i can tell you its bloody difficult to open up to those nearest to you.
    You're right and I was actually just talking to someone about that exact issue the other day.

I know some people might say that talking to a stranger is even harder but remember that there's always someone to listen:

- Aware: 1890 303 302
    - Samaritans: 1850 60 90 90
    - 1Life suicide helpline: 1800 247 100.

There are also online supports (email support services and/or discussion forums) for those more comfortable that way - see www.aware.ie and www.samaritans.org for details.

Opening up can be hard but it can also be the first step towards recovery.

It appears that Prof McKeon consultant Psychiatrist and medical director of St Patrick's hospital (not sure if he still holds this position), disagrees:

This is taken from notes of a lecture given by Prof McKeon to Aware in 2005. See here:
    http://www.aware.ie/images/uploads/aware_bipolar_lecture_jul05.pdf

Any "diagnosis" you make as a psychoanalysist is not the same as a clinical diagnosis made by a dr., who is the only professional with the professional and legal authority to clinically diagnose and prescribe treatment for an illness. You are not a dr. Reading the diagnostic manuels and working alongside Gps and psychs does not give you the professional authority to publically state what should be easy for a dr to diagnose quickly. Psychiatric nurses are also very familiar with these manuels and work alongside GPs and Drs. They do not diagnose, however. It isn not part of their job just like it is not part of yours.
    Stop trying to equate a "diagnosis" made by you at the end of "therapy" to the diagnosis made by a dr when a patient presents with symptoms.

Firstly as you said any diagnosis I make relate only to my treatment. Maybe I sure have clearer on that, but we have discussed this issue on the psych forum. I work in a clinical position so it is a clinical but it only relates to my treatment which is a clinical treatment.

Do I write it on court reports etc, no as you said it has no legal standing, any diagnosis it made in order to formulate a treatment plan. "Stop trying to equate my diagnosis’ etc" I am a professional therapist who has been trained in the use of the ICD-10 and the DSM. My Masters was on Dual diagnosis, I actually teach in some of the colleges on the topic. Just because it is not a medical diagnosis does not mean it is not a professional one, and without reading over my post I think that would have been implicit in it.

At the end of the day when one of the medics GP or Psych I work with refer a client to for such and such I made the decision what type of therapy the client get, as I hold clinical responsibility for the therapy the client gets. The GP or Psych holds clinical responsibility for the client’s medical treatment.

So what I saying is diagnosing is part of my job, but only in relation to my part of the treatment. Another example would be I can only work with clients [within the HSE] who have addiction problems, if they are not receiving treatment for their addiction anywhere else I have to make the call on whether they have an addiction, there is a diagnosis being made there. My main point is I was not equating my diagnoses with medical one I was pointing out that there are different types of diagnoses. I hope this clears the matter up as it is only taking away from the main theme.

Finally as I trained as a psychoanalyst I was trying in psychoananlytic psycho-diagnostics; which would be the diagnoses I make.

Edit: on the bi-polar issue you will find any thing you want to back up anything, but with saying that with things like drug induced disorders it can take up to six months to make a call on it. Which is why I stated the importance of review and follow up a few times.

foxinsox wrote: »
    Would you maybe have a decent/reputable link to show different types of depression?

I have looked but there seems to be so many different sites and different names for it I wouldn't want to link to an out of date site.

Here you go a pdf of the whole ICD-10 http://www.who.int/classifications/icd/en/bluebook.pdf

I don't know if any of you have heard the radio ads, think it's Ray D'arcy doing them for Aware's new online support.

I've heard the ads a lot on the radio last few days.

So here is the link to their forums, might be helpful to some people :)

http://www.aware.ie/index.php/forums/

I have noticed that there seems to be an increase in the amount of billboards and posters asking people to talk more - well, in Galway. Is this in the rest of the country too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I haven't seen any mate.

Ive found writing stuff down has been very helpful, and with Christmas and the new year out of the way and Spring around the corner I'm feeling cautiously optimistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I haven't gotten out of bed enough to notice stuff like that! :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've seen a few bus-stops around Limerick with depression and mental illness awareness posters on them. Haven't seen any on billboards yet though.

I've seen a few around Galway and could it possibly because the West has the highest suicide rate? That might not be true, but could make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

My memory could be playing tricks, but I seem to recall reading that the west of Ireland as an area had one of the highest suicide rates in Europe.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Wibbs wrote: »
    My memory could be playing tricks, but I seem to recall reading that the west of Ireland as an area had one of the highest suicide rates in Europe.

I remember reading or listening to something on the radio it was a year or two ago and it was something like 1 in 4 outside of Dublin suffer with depression.

pretty horrific if true.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Kinda understandable though. Fewer opportunities in rural areas, fewer social outlets, far more isolation wouldn't help. I used to do a lot of fishing in the west of the country and always had a nice time, but one year I went out that neck of the woods in the winter and christ it was "depressing", so I could see how it could drive you nuts.

Dunno about the 1 in 4 thing though. I still think that's a figure pulled out of the air that has been repeated so often people assume it's true.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I grew up in a small village in the West of Ireland called Barna, it's pretty much the mouth to Connemara. Right now it's a lot more built up and there are probably hundreds more opportunities, yet back then there was nothing. Wibbs is totally right. There was a lad I knew who at 15 was an alcoholic. He would genuinely get the shakes if he didn't drink.

I didn't realize that it had the highest suicide rate in the whole of Europe though. That is a scary, scary prospect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭De Dannan

Just seeing this now
    Has any one had any success with Yoga or Thi Chi for helping with depression ? A mate of mine does Thi Chi and says it is very good for relaxing and stress relief so I guess it might be of some help :confused:

De Dannan wrote: »
    Just seeing this now
    Has any one had any success with Yoga or Thi Chi for helping with depression ? A mate of mine does Thi Chi and says it is very good for relaxing and stress relief so I guess it might be of some help :confused:

I've found yoga to be extremely good. Ever since I've started doing it I've noticed a decrease in the amount of times I've felt down. There were other external factors though, like going out more and meeting with friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭jackthelad321

I grew up in a small village in the West of Ireland called Barna, it's pretty much the mouth to Connemara. Right now it's a lot more built up and there are probably hundreds more opportunities, yet back then there was nothing. Wibbs is totally right. There was a lad I knew who at 15 was an alcoholic. He would genuinely get the shakes if he didn't drink.

I didn't realize that it had the highest suicide rate in the whole of Europe though. That is a scary, scary prospect.

I live in Galway and I know a few heads from Connemara, and a few others from inishboffin, all very sound lads, but the majority are a bit mental as a matter of course, and I have no proof but i imagine that the pattern of high depression and suicide rates must be as bad there as anywhere else in the country. a lot of the lads are very reckless-- anyone who knows Connemara lads knows i'm not being unfair-- and I think that has a role in people carrying out suicides.

I also grew up in west limerick, on the way to Kerry, and again lots of suicides out on the western part of the county... one area with a concentrated pocket of suicides has very rugged landscape and is miles from anything. It's quite beautiful, i think, but the isolation seems to have a serious effect on some people. And everyone is always clambering to 'get out' of the place. It certainly would have an more adverse effect than say a town or city where people may be happy to stay. My amateur feeling is that everything like that can be a serious contributing factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭jackthelad321

:pac:
    De Dannan wrote: »
    Just seeing this now

Hey, My councellor gave me a technique to centre myself. Just breathing in and out with your stomach (not yout chest) deeply and countint 1-4 on teh inbreath and 1-7 on the outbreath. there are many variations on teh breathing but the exhalation should be around twice as long. When doing this put one hand on your heart and one on your gut.

I find doing this once in the morning and once before i go to bed, for around 5-7 mins, really halps get me centered, or rooted, which is the purpose of the exercise.

The Councellor basically told me that the function of this is to live in your body, not your head. I think she has a pint. This is related also to autogenic conditioning and general meditaion practices. Autogenic conditioning is supposed to be good for affirming and visualising, which i think could help with depression, although the 'conditioning' is usually a programming for success whereas autogenic meditation is mainly the same thing but is not geared to 'success' as much as inner-peace. so maybe try the autogenic meditaion. type either into google.

I find a combination of this stuff helps, in fact it's helped me so much i have forgotten to take my anti-depressants a few days this week and never noticed at all :D

*reaches over to take pill*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Ive found writing stuff down has been very helpful

OK, I'm going to write something down..

I'm not depressed as such, but today a third work colleague commit suicide.

Thats 3 in as many months ffs.

I can't put into words exactly how I'm feeling about it, its not just grief alone, I don't know what it is..

Jokingly on my FB page today I have "Is a fvcking idiot, I put my fist through a mirror today. Is that 7 years bad luck" - but in truth I'm on a terribly short fuse all day. And yes, I did put a fist into a mirror earlier and smashed it.

Sure we have a support line which he could have rang, indeed I can ring 'em too right now if I had it in me. But I don't, I don't wanna talk to anyone right now so here I am writing it down.. And its the fvcking pits.

A bit disjointed, sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

OK, I'm going to write something down..

I'm not depressed as such, but today a third work colleague commit suicide.

Thats 3 in as many months ffs.

I can't put into words exactly how I'm feeling about it, its not just grief alone, I don't know what it is..

Jokingly on my FB page today I have "Is a fvcking idiot, I put my fist through a mirror today. Is that 7 years bad luck" - but in truth I'm on a terribly short fuse all day. And yes, I did put a fist into a mirror earlier and smashed it.

Sure we have a support line which he could have rang, indeed I can ring 'em too right now if I had it in me. But I don't, I don't wanna talk to anyone right now so here I am writing it down.. And its the fvcking pits.

A bit disjointed, sorry.

Jesus. I'm so sorry :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement