Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Depression

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Dionysus wrote: »
    I've never used them so can't recommend them, but there are low cost counselling services out there. Sometimes just having somebody to listen to you and offer some different perspective does the trick, or helps you get back on the road again. I agree with people earlier saying GPs give anti-depressants out like snuff at a wake (totally off topic but has anybody ever got snuff at a wake?). I'm a strong believer in people being able to avoid drugs and talk themselves out of the rough times with confidential help.

By the way, when writing that letter your GP surely asked you in what clinic you'd like to see a counsellor? He should have. If one clinic is full, choose another and another and get him to write to them. My GP even said not to go to a certain place because somebody from my home place would be there. He had several alternative places. Lastly, you're going to have to be more honest with your GP if you feel suicidal. They can't help you unless you're upfront with them.

I know it's my fault in a way for not saying it, I just feel like an attention seeker saying it to anyone. he brought it up, but asked how was i feeling at the time, and I was ok at the time, so I didn't have a need to mention it. I just feel they're going to think I'm being dramatic. plus I really don't know that I'd ever do it, so what difference does it make?

He didn't ask anything about where I'd like to be seen. didn't ask anything. when he got the letter saying they weren't going to see me, he gave me the number of a place I could organise myself. I started seeing a counsellor there. but it was still €50 a week. and that's just too much for me to pay anymore.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

First option.. :(
    Sometimes things are just such a serious struggle

When you have depression, everything is a serious struggle and seems like a big hassle.

Your first step is get to a GP. Dont worry if you dont know how to explain how you feel - I went into mine and just burst into tears, and told him I couldnt stop crying and I didnt know what was wrong, or why I was crying. He asked a few questions and made his diagnosis, exactly the same way as if you went in with a mysterious tummy pain, by ruling out other possibilities and coming to a conclusion.

Next, Look after you. That means taking meds properly, as prescribed - if it says to avoid alcohol, and not come off the ADs suddenly then this is what you should do, eating and sleeping properly, and maybe some exercise - even if its a short walk or so. Think about booking a counseller- nothing scary there, its more confidential and less judgemental than a well-meaning friend. Its just talking.

Thats all we do, we take it from there, just a day at a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭Geansai Rua

I would love to get to the gp and see what the hell is going on..
    Biggest problem is that I cant afford it, still waiting on my medical card and until then i will just have to deal with it.
    50 euro for the doctor and god knows how much else is just out of my reach!
    My biggest problem is social situations, especially in a new place.. If i am in a big group of people, i have to leave and just get home, doesnt matter who im with.. tough around xmas time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

I know it's my fault in a way for not saying it, I just feel like an attention seeker saying it to anyone. he brought it up, but asked how was i feeling at the time, and I was ok at the time, so I didn't have a need to mention it. I just feel they're going to think I'm being dramatic. plus I really don't know that I'd ever do it, so what difference does it make?

If your GP has been with you for years he'll know if you're a hypochondriac or drama queen and can put what you say to him in context. If you say just as above - i.e. feel suicidal but don't think you'd put it into action - he'll be able to judge that. But if you say nothing you're not going to be able to get the help you need.
    He didn't ask anything about where I'd like to be seen. didn't ask anything. when he got the letter saying they weren't going to see me, he gave me the number of a place I could organise myself. I started seeing a counsellor there. but it was still €50 a week. and that's just too much for me to pay anymore.

You need to return to him asap and ask him about alternative places you can go. Talk it all out with him. He has the knowledge of the system to help you. That's what he's there for. It's up to you to fight for your help otherwise, as you probably know, you'll become a statistic in this health system. There's counselling, at least in Dublin, on a 'what you can afford' basis. This can be as little as €15 per hour, and is often done via putting your money in an anonymous envelope and dropping it in a box. I'd be surprised if a similar service does not exist in your area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Luke G

There are a lot of free counselling services around the place, Definitely in Dublin, Pieta House being one, They might not be near to you as they're in Lucan BUT sur eno harm in giving them a ring to ask if there are any similar services in your area, ALSO check out AWARE they have branches all around the country, Hope this helps & Best Of Luck...

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭t0mm13b

@boneyarsebogman: Many thanks for kick-starting the thread... it is humbling and a small consolation that we're not alone in this... I applaud you for taking the time to do this! :D I must retire to leaba now...

y'all take care of yourselves, and best wishes for 2011, and above all keep boardsie-ing :)

I've looked into other options. AWARE don't do anything anywhere near me. but i'm trying to move to dublin so maybe in a while I can do something.

See being in college and then finishing I switched doctors so no my GP didn't know much about me. and i've moved again now. but he wasn't a nice guy anyway. laughed at me once for asking something. I'm just in the middle of trying to sort a lot of things so it'll be another while before I can get back into counselling. when/if i move to dublin I'll look into all my options there. it's fairly pathetic the lack of services in this country though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Luke G

Agreed, I was in a similar situation myself a while back, Be definitely worth even ringing one of these places to see what's available to you rather than waiting until you move, I mean even to tie you over for the time being, It's certainly not easy that's for sure, But you must remember, It is only temporary,No matter what you think, Things won't always be this bad, If things are going really wrong then just think nothing anytime soon can possibly be as bad or worse than they have been. I wish you the best of luck...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

I've looked into other options. AWARE don't do anything anywhere near me. but i'm trying to move to dublin so maybe in a while I can do something.

See being in college and then finishing I switched doctors so no my GP didn't know much about me. and i've moved again now. but he wasn't a nice guy anyway. laughed at me once for asking something. I'm just in the middle of trying to sort a lot of things so it'll be another while before I can get back into counselling. when/if i move to dublin I'll look into all my options there. it's fairly pathetic the lack of services in this country though.

Seeing as you're thinking of moving to the Pale, I don't know if this is true, or even if it still applies, but some years back I knew a girl who moved to Dublin and specifically chose to live in the catchment area of St John of God's hospital in Stillorgan so that she could be prioritised for treatment there. I'm not sure how true this is, but somebody here will probably know. If it is, it could be a smart move on your part to move there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 knuckledragger

. If i am in a big group of people, i have to leave and just get home, doesnt matter who im with.. tough around xmas time.

Me too. Makes it difficult to meet people, and frankly my circle of friends has contracted over the years as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭AntiMatter

MUSSOLINI wrote: »

I don't want to go and talk to anyone about it because I am too embarrassed and ashamed, my parents don't know about it, and I want to keep it that way. In fact, Im willing to bet that the few posters here I know in real life would end up treating me differently if they read this, I don't want to be treated with cotton wool, or as if I am about to top myself at any given moment. So the plan is to keep going and things will hopefully get better. I imagine many people are in the same boat as me.

I suffered badly when I was a bit younger, about 10 years ago, but towards the end of the end of this year the black waves started washing over me again.

I sounded out a couple of friends, and I just went with the one who was most responsive and talked over my problems with him. Even being able to do that was a relief, something I wasn't able to do at the age of 21, because, like you I thought it was something to be embarrassed about.

It's not at all embarrassing, something I learned with age, and it's useful to get other people's perspective on things.

Dionysus wrote: »
    Seeing as you're thinking of moving to the Pale, I don't know if this is true, or even if it still applies, but some years back I knew a girl who moved to Dublin and specifically chose to live in the catchment area of St John of God's hospital in Stillorgan so that she could be prioritised for treatment there. I'm not sure how true this is, but somebody here will probably know. If it is, it could be a smart move on your part to move there.

When I'm moving though I need to move for a job though. I'm sure wherever I am it'll be easy enough to access some services anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Maserati23

Well I would like to say something l will keep it short, I do not post much, I feel like I might be "shot down" by the academics etc.

I had to finish work 8 years ago because of pancreatitis, up until that I was very formidable and respected up until then. I had no third level education. I was however the IDEAS Man for an investor in Dublin 2. Basically my ideas, his money, after 18 years I had opened 11 companies which were all successful ventures including 2 iso companies. I was responsible for the setting up marketing, staffing, etc. of all these companies. I had 4 mobiles, as some of my clients were major and some were North American blue chip outfits, whom require instant access to "Me".

Long and short of it the pressure got to me, My doctor ( same Dr. as G. Ryan ) just treated me as an ordinary "Hyper" patient and gave me lexotan and the likes to calm me down.

Anyway my days were quick everyday, I always had a million ideas and clients problems on my mind. My problem was I had no time (never made time to eat ) I just done a few hours each day, nobody questioned me or would dare do so, I ended up in D2 or usually the Horsehoe bar at 4 O clock and take it from there, ( Hence no food ) which led to pancreatitis many times, plus I finished when .......I got annointed in Beaumount Hospital one evening. I basically verbally assaulted the Priest and told him where to get off.

So I had to finish work. I was supposed to get a large sum for "Finishing up" but I was shafted Via the investor , whom I never had a row with in 18 years. Between him his Bank Manager, ( Whom was my bank manager also ) his lawyer (whom was my Lawyer also ) they came together and built a brick wall, that left me with less than nothing.

Anyhow . I said I would keep it short:eek: Sorry. What I really wanted to say I have been treated for Major Depressive Disorder , with drugs like Cymbalta 90 mgs. Jesus, dont take this drug, I have boxes and boxes of them, they would turn you into an instant vegetable. I went off this presciption without telling my GP. as I could not believe he prescribed them for me. They are basically for people who are incaserated in mental hospitals etc. and the practitioner wants to keep them in a vegative state. Luckily I do not have the MDD he prescribed me. I might be down, but I am not out.
    I am on disability pension now with no future that I can forsee anyway. This does not put me on the funny farm. My Doc is not aware I take none of his prescriptions , except anything that would retard any pancreas problems.

I am delighted somebody started this thread, Fairplay to the OP.

Be aware your health is your wealth. But your "Life" is a lot easier when you have some physical monies to keep you going when thing get tough, this is the point that puts most people into depression, in my estimation anyway.

Always have some backup, and trust nobody, I have seen only 1 person from my staff of 460 in yhe last 2 years.

I said I would keep this short, which I did not. I am not going to read through what I have written, because it will show you the mental attitude of somebody in depression.

I will stay in the background, but please keep this thread going. No point in ignoring an illness that is rapidly growing in this Ireland of ours.

Happy New Year:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Maserati23 wrote: »
    I am on disability pension now with no future that I can forsee anyway.
    Happy New Year:)

Thanks for sharing your story Maserati, really hit a nerve with me. If you don't mind me asking, How old are you now and what are your circumstances i.e Family, Morgage etc...? Thanks

Most serious posts like this I'd be all "off to personal issues with yeh!" etc etc.

But on this one I'm making a definite exception.

Thanks for starting and sharing this, you Boney Arsed Bog Man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Almost 80% of polled people have had depression.

Either this forum is a haven for people with clinical depression or Irish doctors are over disgnosing this illness - i could be wrong, im just very suprised by the results and have always found that doctors are very quick to prescribe meds on this topic

Thing is that because there is a taboo behind depression, people aren't fully willing to admit that there is a problem. However, since there is the option for people to vote anonymously, they now can admit it. It's extremely surprising, but not unexpected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

The odds are people affected by it would click on the link too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Thing is that because there is a taboo behind depression, people aren't fully willing to admit that there is a problem. However, since there is the option for people to vote anonymously, they now can admit it. It's extremely surprising, but not unexpected.

Yea, i understand this, but i think - from my experience, people tend to think depression because of its name has something to do with "being sad" or "down in the dumps" which are both normal experiences and emotions to have over the course of living

I say this because of the amount of people that - when the find out i have depression they tend to be shocked because of my normally extravert personality.

Depression (for me anyhow) is best described as harbouring the feelings of being distraught or of grief for extended periods of time for in many case no apparent reason

• Advertisement

IF there is one major clue that I've experienced when suffering with depression - I never had any dreams....a year on after taking the medication, the dreams are coming back.... surely it's a good thing.... :(

Sounds unbelievable, but think about this - no one has a clue how the mind works....fragile and delicate, mind-fcuk with it and blammo...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Strangely, this thread has made me realise that I'm only slightly depressed at times. Great thread, long may it last and mods please don't move it to PI, it's great to make everyone more aware of depression in Ireland and AH is the perfect place to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Confab wrote: »
    Strangely, this thread has made me realise that I'm only slightly depressed at times. Great thread, long may it last and mods please don't move it to PI, it's great to make everyone more aware of depression in Ireland and AH is the perfect place to do it.

Same, I thought I was depressed when I felt a little "bummed out" for a few weeks but after hearing what some people go through depression sound like an horrendous thing to have to live with and I doubt I ever had it.

It is so great that people have contributed so much to this thread. Thank you all.

Quick question - what should be done to tackle depression and help those suffering with it? What changes should be brought in?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭ShadowGal

I think people need to not be so hard on themselves when they are feeling a little down, like we expect to be happy 24/7 and bouncing off of the walls with glee everyday. It ok to be a little gloomy every now and then, even if its for a day or 2, once you or your loved ones around you can spot the difference between having a bad few days and full on depression.

Ive had crappy days where ive felt awful, but the best advise i can give is find a good friend and talk talk talk. Best wishes to anyone suffering from depression

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Quick question - what should be done to tackle depression and help those suffering with it? What changes should be brought in?

Well, I think this is one example of something that could be done - not shoving the subject under the carpet, or into PI forum. That's not to say there's anything with PI, obviously, but with something like this it's important to bring it into the mainstream as much as possible, because there are so many misconceptions about it, and about the people who suffer from it. The more awareness there is about it, the better. After that, I don't really know.

• Advertisement

It is so great that people have contributed so much to this thread. Thank you all.

• Learn to go easy on yourself, but do not get complacent
    • Read boardsie for some threads that are hilarious and funny
    • Participate in boardsie threads, and reply back, no matter how silly it sounds, you will feel good as you will start to listen more to your inner voice when expressing yourself
    • Cut out negative friends who drain/sap energy from you. Stick to the real good friends you have - now you will have to consider this carefully.... don't burn bridges with your family...despite the shyte they might eschew and spout on...
    • Write down goals and keep track of it, simple ones, such as "Go for a walk"...once you achieve it, reward yourself with a nice hot cuppa or treat yourself something nice, for accomplishing that said goal...build up on it... you will learn to respect yourself more...
    • Don't dwell on things you have said/felt/done within the last 24 hours... you will learn to let go and be surprised at how easy it gets after a while
    • Do something with yourself, such as hobbies...keep the mind busy - I do sudoku a lot.....

Sounds patronizing, but the thing is, with depression, all aspects of yourself, respect, hygiene, dignity goes out the window... you have to re-learn them which is in the bullet points above, hard it may be....that's how you get back the control of your life and not hand it over to the black darkness ...

Above all, learn to love yourself a bit more.... (sounds selfish... but you have to be selfish to survive it and in order to live....)

My 2cents... :):o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I suffer from depression and have done for years. It has ranged from mild to very, very severe but luckily I'm doing a lot better now.

I've suffered from anorexia, self harm, bulimia and abused alcohol and prescription drugs. Underlying all of that was my depression - it was at it's worst in the period of September 2009 to March of this year but it's something that's always there y'know? I'm on anti depressants at the moment and have been since Feb although I do wonder about how much my improvement can be attritubted to medication.

I could talk for ever about my battle with depression and other mental illnesses but I just want to emphasize how important it is to get help if you're feeling down. As with everything, the earlier it's caught the easier it is to treat. And the second most important thing to remember is that if you go to a doctor, a counseller or whatever and you don't think they're helping you, you don't think you click or whatever, DON'T GIVE UP! I saw a terrible counseller for my anorexia when I was 16 and just gave up because it wasn't helping me. If I had sought out another counseller back then I don't think all the shít that followed would have happened. I tried 2 more counsellers in Dublin last year before I found one that suited me. I've been to several psychiatists and it really is so much easier when you're working with someone you trust and who you feel comfortable with. I really can't emphasize that enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Dilynnio

AWARENESS.....................people need to be aware of the symptoms and signs that are making them feel depressed at an early stage and what is happening in their lives that is contributing to that feeling.

Most people hide away because of the stigma associated with it. I used to always worry about what others thought but I have learned now not to care. You only have one life so who really gives a fcuk what so and so down the street thinks.

It affects a lot of people and there really are people who do care and want to help others out there.Don't suffer in silence. Its always good to talk.

I think a new campaign is really needed in this country. Maybe some celebs or sportsmen who suffer/suffered need to make a stance on it. Some really good leaflets on the subject is needed and also a proper dedicated phone line that is properly funded by the government is needed.

For me though the weather also has a huge impact on my moods! Better weather please! :)

P.S since boards is such a massive platform maybe something can be done here. It is great to see all the people who have come on and contributed. Fair play to you all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I never suffered from depression. Lucky.

Never realized so many people did though. That poll is an eye opener.

Dilynnio wrote: »
    AWARENESS.....................people need to be aware of the symptoms and signs that they are getting or feel depressed at an early stage.

Most people hide away because of the stigma associated with it. I used to always worry about what others thought but I have learned now not to care. You only have one life so who really gives a fcuk what so and so down the street thinks.

It affects a lot of people and there really are people who do care and want to help others out there.Don't suffer in silence. Its always good to talk.

I think a new campaign is really needed in this country. Maybe some celebs or sportsmen who suffer/suffered need to make a stance on it. Some really good leaflets on the subject is needed and also a proper dedicated phone line that is properly funded by the government is needed.

For me though the weather also has a huge impact on my moods! Better weather please! :)

I agree completely. It would be amazing to have well-known people in the public arena to talk about it openly. Then we could slowly get rid of any stigmas that are associated with it.

Something I was personally thinking of is a mobile unit for health awareness, one with a trained counselor that travels around the country making sessions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Dilynnio

I agree completely. It would be amazing to have well-known people in the public arena to talk about it openly. Then we could slowly get rid of any stigmas that are associated with it.

Something I was personally thinking of is a mobile unit for health awareness, one with a trained counselor that travels around the country making sessions.

Thats a great idea....educate people and make them aware. For me awareness is so important. I recognise it in myself now and I seek help immediately......just by talking to someone or by acknowledging it in my own mind and making the changes that are needed not to be overwhelmed and consumed by it.

It can jump up and bite you in the bum before you know it.Yes it is easier to be in bed all day than to go and talk to someone but you have to make the effort to want to get out of it. If I didn't recognise it I would not be able to help myself out of it.

I still live a very normal life. I hold down a good job and I still go out as normal. So its not a big deal to me anymore, it is part and parcel of who I am and I accept that. I also don't hide it. It takes time and hard work but you can get threw it.

What can I add to the first post to help raise more awareness, for those unwilling to read through the whole thread?

Support and awareness for family and friends of people with depression as well. I can only imagine how terrifying it must be to have a child or sibling or friend diagnosed with depression...and I think some of that fear could be alleviated if people were better equipped to deal with it and even to be made aware of what it is. Knowing what to say and what not to say, and just how to approach the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Yaa people that never had depression wil never properly understand it and what it intails.! its a chemical illness:( and shouldnt be anything to be embarassed about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

For what its worth I decided to tell my mother today.

Apparently I may have:

Iron deficiency, take vitamin tablets!
    Have been stuck in my room too much
    Should read the secret
    Should go back to mass
    Too much time on the internet
    Should try holistic medicine
    Should burn lavender
    Hormonal imbalance, also explains thinning hair

After I shot down all those things she finally suggested I should go to the doctor, who would do a blood test which would explain everything!

The best bit was when she said "What do you have to feel down about?" Which has made me feel pretty guilty. The worse thing is that she really means all those things and is trying to help.

The fact that I expected that reaction means it doesnt really bother me.

Dunno why Im posting about it here really, thought someone might be interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

The most brilliant thread ive read in here in a long while. Well done to everyone whos been so open and honest, its so brave.

Depression runs in my family, my mother suffers and my granny did too. While i wouldnt say i have depression per se, i have to keep myself in check with regards to my moods as i can get quite introspected and maudlin sometimes. Any of my friends will tell ya id be fairly out going and fun to be around,but im shy by nature and my friends bring the fun side out in me. Left to my own devices im quite moody and often wondered was it borderline depression as i also worry too much too which makes me tired far too often that is healthy.

This country is rife with this condition and i cant believe that help is so difficult and so expensive to come by. Suicide is one of the top, if not the top killers of people in Ireland yet its barely talked about and getting help is so difficult to get unless you're literally carried in the door of a hospital in an ambulance.

About 7 or 8 yrs ago, i was quite low (worrying about my mams situation and her depression) and went to a doctor about it. I NEVER go to doctors so this was a big deal to me. Her response "well you dont look depressed" WTF??! I literally was stunned. Because i was dressed and presentable and on my way to work, i couldnt possibly have been depressed.Her advice was to lose some weight( i wasnt fat),eat better and get an early night. Yet id probably spent the guts of a year feeling awful,dull headed and constantly worried but functioning. She'd never heard of a "functioning depressive"..amazing!:rolleyes:

Its always in my mind due to family history that im predisposed to it so if i find myself getting "in the horrors" as i put it, i make a point of seeing my friends,keeping active and watching what i drink. My low moods are manageable for me but i always worry that it'll catch me out in the future.

Long post sorry, didnt intend it to be either. Ah well. Ive watched 2 family members (and a good few friends and colleagues) go through this and it is a seriously frightening condition that i wouldnt wish on my worst enemy. I have literally lost my mother to it. Shes still alive, but its not the mother i knew 15 years ago, its robbed her of any trace of what i remember her to be and wrecked the family to be quite honest.

I wish there wasnt such a stigma about it and there was a more transparent,cheaper and accessible mental health service in this country. Good luck to everyone whos in the midst of it right now-hopin the sun shines brighter for you very soon!;)

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    For what its worth I decided to tell my mother today.

Apparently I may have:

Iron deficiency, take vitamin tablets!
    Have been stuck in my room too much
    Should read the secret
    Should go back to mass
    Too much time on the internet
    Should try holistic medicine
    Should burn lavender
    Hormonal imbalance, also explains thinning hair

After I shot down all those things she finally suggested I should go to the doctor, who would do a blood test which would explain everything!

The best bit was when she said "What do you have to feel down about?" Which has made me feel pretty guilty. The worse thing is that she really means all those things and is trying to help.

The fact that I expected that reaction means it doesnt really bother me.

Dunno why Im posting about it here really, thought someone might be interested.

And this is why people need to be educated about depression. Not only the people with it, but the people who are there to support them. Because that kind of reaction is what stops people talking about it any further.

Not posting about it won't help anyone, but posting about it might help you and might help other people too either directly or indirectly.

And this is why people need to be educated about depression. Not only the people with it, but the people who are there to support them. Because that kind of reaction is what stops people talking about it any further.

Not posting about it won't help anyone, but posting about it might help you and might help other people too either directly or indirectly.

Even just placing a vote is acknowledging that it's there and that a person may have it. Congrats at admitting it, Mussolini - it must have take such strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭bluecatmorgana

First of all I would just like to thank the OP for setting up this thread and it's great to see the amount of positive replies to this thread and for people taking this seriously, especially in After Hours.

Well I'm a 21 year old male, currently in my final year of college.

I think I've always known I've had some level of depression throughout my life, I can't remember anytime when I was happy with life or happy being me. I've always had a serious lack of confidence throughout my life and it's something I still have. I was bullied a lot at primary and secondary school, my mother past away when i was 9 years old and I found out when I was a teenager that I'm actually adopted, my biological mother has sent me birthday cards throughout a lot of my life. I say some of these factors have had an affect on me.

I'm currently receiving counselling in my University. I have had 2 sessions so far, and my counseller says that the most important thing right now is to try and get myself through the final year of college. So a lot of my "therapy" seems to be little things like getting more exercise, better diet and doing a lot of cognitive therapy, so writing out thought records and learning how it is negative thoughts which cause negative feelings and to try and identify the distortion which occurs.

What really put me over the edge to receive counselling was my recent break up with my girlfriend. I'm still nowhere near over her, and the crippling sense of lonliness, isolation and hopelessness which I have been experiencing have been indescribable. I have had thoughts of suicide, but I honestly don't think I could ever carry out such an attempt or even begin to plan something, I love my Dad too much to do that to him and he has had a tough enough life as it is.

My counseller reckons i suffer from both depression and anxiety. I was a bit dissapointed when she told me that we wont focus as much on my adoption, death of my mother etc but rather on the cognitive therapy and getting myself through my final semester. Should I mention my scepticism to her?

Can someone also tell me how they found cognitive therapy? You know such as writing out journal entries, thought records and all that sort of stuff. I sort of feel it's not going to have a great effect on me and I have only found it to be slightly beneficial to me so far.

Again, well done to the OP, this is a great thread and hopefully it could even be stickied.

LD

Hi Limerick Guy, I would definitely mention the fact that you want to talk about your adoption and your mothers death, you want to talk about them and it could help so why not. It just happens that cognitive therapy is more about the present thoughts not the past, but if its important to you, mention it.

I did a year of cognitive behaviour therapy and found it very good for fighting anxiety, I say fighting because you have to battle with yourself a bit and it will help. Saying that it didnt get rid of my depression and eventually what changed for me was an anti-psychotic medication I was put on.

So I would say for me it helped a lot but wasnt the complete answer.

My GP told me that depression,,if not treated will still go totally away in time,,is this true????
    Can i also ask has anyone ever suffered depression due to roaccutane and if so how did it end up???

for some people it will go away by itself say by their situation changing or even the season changing but for others it will not just go away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,530 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Dilynnio wrote: »
    I think a new campaign is really needed in this country. Maybe some celebs or sportsmen who suffer/suffered need to make a stance on it.

A few years ago I spent some time in New Zealand and the ads below were played a lot on national TV. They feature John Kirwan, who's a former All Black who had suffered from severe depression.

youtube link 1

link 2

link 3

I just want to address the issue there that some people have brought up about if it's genetic / chemical imbalance etc. None of this is proven. I mean no one knows for sure if one person will take to meds better than another person, and there's no guarantee that meds will help. I mean my mother was always in moods while I was growing up, and I know she was on St Johns Wort for a while, and the three of us now at separate points have been on anti depressants, but I would be more putting this down to how my mother being depressed affected our growing up, rather than saying it's genetic.

The chemical balance thing is definitely true for some depression. Take bipolar depression were people feel high and low over several weeks, that can definitely have positive effects with medication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Star Bingo wrote: »
    so who'd like to take a stab at defining depression then? cos the definitions are conflicting. the 'reality' man insists on shaping can 'depress' us all; particularly in our current climate when it all goes t!ts up.. may well be better locking yourself away tbh - but is it really a chemical imbalance which only prescribed medication can aid? because those things depressed me even more.. n trust me i was depressed! ? otherwise melancholy thanks.. or a sort of.. sober sombriety. out of choice - but who do you listen to on such matters? who do you choose to ignore. when it stems from the self; has it to do with the self? sure there's contributary outside factors but.. the solution lies within yourself.

if you have trouble sleeping, are regularly tearful, lacking in motivation, tired, anxious on a regular basis for 4 weeks and you have not suffered a recent bereavement (previous 6-12 months I think)

you can consider yourself clinically depressed.

A doctor can perscribe medication to lift your mood but if the depression has some sort of cause councilling sessions might be required to figure out what the issues are and what changes the patient can make.

sheesh wrote: »
    if you have trouble sleeping, are regularly tearful, lacking in motivation, tired, anxious on a regular basis for 4 weeks and you have not suffered a recent bereavement (previous 6-12 months I think)

you can consider yourself clinically depressed.

Eh. What? Are you a physician?

I could have trouble sleeping because of some pain or discomfort somewhere in my body. I could be regularly tearful because I'm a ****ty relationship, or in a job I hate. I could be tired on a regular basis because of an excessively busy schedule, or because of a bad diet. I could have all of that happening at the same time, for more than a month and I would not be clinically depressed. It's not as simple as that.

This is part of the problem here, folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

A few years ago I spent some time in New Zealand and the ads below were played a lot on national TV. They feature John Kirwan, who's a former All Black who had suffered from severe depression.

Just to make things a little more convenient.

This thread reminds me of AH a while back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I dont think depression is anything to be ashamed off, a lot of animals get depression. A top antropologist said thats depression was our ancestors way of telling them to stay in the cave. It helped me to realize that its natural and evolved as a prtective mechanisim to help us. The same with anxiety, whenever i get anxious about something i tell myself that the anxiety is trying to help me but that doesnt mean im facing a threat, it just means theres a system in place to warn me in case theres a threat.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I dont think depression is anything to be ashamed off, a lot of animals get depression. A top antropologist said thats depression was our ancestors way of telling them to stay in the cave. It helped me to realize that its natural and evolved as a prtective mechanisim to help us. The same with anxiety, whenever i get anxious about something i tell myself that the anxiety is trying to help me but that doesnt mean im facing a threat, it just means theres a system in place to warn me in case theres a threat.
    :eek: :confused:

Sources please.....?

That I do not know what to say to this patronizing posting......

Wake UP! Who fed you that load of codswollop...... :rolleyes:

Those ads with John Kirwan are excellent, thanks for posting them.

What needs to be done?
    Well imagine if every single person who has suffered or who is suffering from depression or who knew someone who suffered from depression got up tomorrow and just brought it up in their general conversation, that would be at least half the country. If more people talked about it depression wouldnt seem so taboo.

When I was in the midst of my depression to talk about it out loud was difficult but as time went out and I had to talk to doctors, occupational therapists, therapist, psychiatrists and psychologists about my history of depression it became easier.

About two weeks ago we were talking about drugs in the staff room and someone mentioned the long term effects were unknown and I said "really?, thats interesting as Ive been on them for 10 years now. " It worked out well as some people were interested in knowing what kind of doctor or therapist I went to, the effects I had and they were able to ask me. One man even told us his wife had been on them since their son was born. I mean stuff just flowed out, it was great. I felt like I had "came out" and I was being accepted, but was even better was they dont see me as being the depressed girl but bluecat the living functioning generally normal person and I could answer their questions.

I think what would also help if there were more story lines on tv were mental health was a theme and dealt with in a positive manner, like for example someone on Eastenders going to their doctor for depression and being told to cop on and then they dump their gp and go to another gp who helps them. It would show how perserving people with MI have to be and how you can find help.
    I work with people with intellectual disabilities and would love to see people with ID on tv programs like Becky in Glee. It makes for a more inclusive society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

t0mm13b wrote: »
    :eek: :confused:

Sources please.....?

That I do not know what to say to this patronizing posting......

Wake UP! Who fed you that load of codswollop...... :rolleyes:

what? i think you took me up wrong mate, when i feel depressed this helps me. im not trying to tell people they should think of depression this way. it comes from an evolutionary psychologist called paul gilbert. I do believe it but if no one else does fine it helps me. i think your over reacting to be honest. what part do you have a problem with?

• Advertisement

steddyeddy wrote: »
    what? i think you took me up wrong mate, when i feel depressed this helps me. im not trying to tell people they should think of depression this way. it comes from an evolutionary psychologist called paul gilbert. I do believe it but if no one else does fine it helps me. i think your over reacting to be honest. what part do you have a problem with?

Thats your prerogative.... which is fine... but don't tell us by spouting about some evolutionary psychologist....

this is as real as it gets and has nothing to do with the "evolutionary" crackpot theory... it can happen to anyone as it happened to myself included... it will bite you hard in the arse... this thread is about sharing in order to get rid of the stigma and lay bare the difficulties of it... who needs to know "animals suffer with it"....

Some who have posted previously can feel suicidal and tbqh what you said does not help one bit at all... and your posting sounds condescending and belittling those who were open about it and shared on this thread.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement