Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace NTL modem/router setup?

• 28-12-2010 1:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all.
    I have an NTL cable modem for a few years now connected to a Netgear wireless router with and ethernet cable. This router is on its last legs. Anyway, I noticed that newer UPC customers get an all-in-one modem/router when they sign up, so can I buy something similar and do this myself?
    Would something like this do the trick? Will it function with a UPC cable signal, or is that a generic thing?
    www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9254709/Trail/searchtext%3EROUTER.htm
    Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Hi all.
    I have an NTL cable modem for a few years now connected to a Netgear wireless router with and ethernet cable. This router is on its last legs. Anyway, I noticed that newer UPC customers get an all-in-one modem/router when they sign up, so can I buy something similar and do this myself?
    Would something like this do the trick? Will it function with a UPC cable signal, or is that a generic thing?
    www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9254709/Trail/searchtext%3EROUTER.htm
    Thanks!

This isn't possible, you're stuck with a UPC provided modem no matter what. The current standard modem/router is the Cisco EPC2425, which is pretty poor. You'd still be better off with your own router and the modem. The 100 meg product provides a different modem/router but I haven't seen much feedback on those yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Why do Argos sell cable modems/routers if they will never work with the provided broadband cable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Why do Argos sell cable modems/routers if they will never work with the provided broadband cable?

You'll have to ask Argos that question...

You might be able to persuade UPC to provision a modem if you are lucky but I wouldn't bet on it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The routers sold under this description are usually sold for use with cable modems. They are described as cable routers because they do not have an integrated dsl modem. They will have a wan port for connection to the modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

That's not a cable modem, it's a router. It can be used with any type of broadband modem.

You don't want the all in one modem/wifi router that UPC provide now anyway, it's crap. Just replace your router.

• Advertisement

Thanks all. I've asked UPC if they'll sell me one and if it's cheap I'll go with that. I don't live in Buckingham Palace, so a crappy router will do me!
    Otherwise a new €20 Netgear router it looks like.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Thanks all. I've asked UPC if they'll sell me one and if it's cheap I'll go with that. I don't live in Buckingham Palace, so a crappy router will do me!
    Otherwise a new €20 Netgear router it looks like.
    Cheers.
    afaik, UPC will sell you one for either €40 or €50 and it's not even worth €20 so save yourself the hassle and just buy something half decent for less money.

the EPC2425 shouldn't be used by anyone, ever. :)

the regular support line will only troubleshoot basic connectivity issues and will pass you to 'advanced' premium rate support for anything more complicated and if you need to do that, you might as well call netgear, linksys/cisco, dlink or whoever directly to support your decent router and it will probably cost less than UPC support.

vibe666 wrote: »

the EPC2425 shouldn't be used by anyone, ever. :)

I second that the EPC2435 is possibly the worst router/modem ever produced.

You are better off with the 2203 and your own router

bealtine wrote: »
    I second that the EPC2435 is possibly the worst router/modem ever produced.

You are better off with the 2203 and your own router
    i actually had an engineer out a few months back because of some phone problems and he was on the phone to the support guys getting them to run some tests and they kept trying to get him to replace my 2203 with the 2425, but he kept knocking them back.

he said he'd been doing it for 5 or 6 years and had only ever replaced one 2203 in all that time and that turned out to be the psu as it turned out after further testing that the 2203 itself was still working fine, but that he had replaced dozens of failed 2425's even tho they'd only been using them for a couple of years.

stick with the 2203 and get yourself a half decent router and you'll be much better off. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

when upc setup 30meg broadband for me are you saying i won't be able to use my own router with it? thanks

• Advertisement

Random wrote: »
    when upc setup 30meg broadband for me are you saying i won't be able to use my own router with it? thanks

We're saying the 2425 is a pos, that's the one they supply with the "higher" packages. If you can get the 2203 modem then it will be really easy as installing your own router with the 2435 is really hit and miss especially if you have the phone service as well.

So try get the 2203 if you can.

so i should call and request modem only and not a modem router?

so i should call and request modem only and not a modem router?
    yes, although its really down to the engineer when they come. they will probably try and convince you to go for the modem/router combo.

just tell them you have to use a specific router for work and that you can't have the epc2425 as other people from work have had to have them swapped out in the past as they don't work properly with your work router.

i've had 3 mates now who've done that and have had a 2203 installed instead of the 2425 modem/router combo without any real issues.

the only possible problem is that they might not have any spare, so make sure you call and request it and get them to put it on the ticket so the engineer knows in advance, although that doesn't always work either if they don't read it beforehand. :)

i guess i'll have to have a word with the engineer when he comes and see. hope he knows what he's up to.

well, they probably (most likely) won't want to or know how to install your own router, but they'll do the modem only install and leave you to it and rightly so, its no their business once the modem is installed if the next bit of kit isn't theirs.

also, not sure if you are aware or not, but if you are coming from a DSL broadband provider it is worth noting that an ADSL specific router (i.e. one with a DSL modem built into it and an RJ11 phone socket on it) won't work properly (or at all) with the cable modem.

you'll need what's usually called a broadband or cable router (i.e. with no ADSL modem). these routers don't have their own built in modem at all and need to be used with either a separate ADSL or Cable modem.

they should have a 5th RJ45 socket labelled as a WAN port which connects to the modem, as well as your (usual) 4 RJ45 LAN ports.

(it's the one on the right in this pic)

rj45rj11icallanywherene.jpg

if you see a socket like the one on the left on your router then it's no good for use with UPC broadband, only if the 5th port on the back is like the one on the right.

sorry its late and i'm tired and should be fast asleep, i hope i'm making sense and not confusing you too much. :)

as it is at the moment i use dsl modem and hook it up via ethernet to a router. i had assumed upc would work similiar when i got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

ask for the SA-2203 modem from UPC if you can & get your own router,...this one seems good value

as it is at the moment i use dsl modem and hook it up via ethernet to a router. i had assumed upc would work similiar when i got it.
    you should be grand then. just out of curiosity, what model router do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Anyone got any suggestions to help me out with this?
    My housemates and I are gonna switch over to UPC in the next week or so (coz Eircom has been terrible in every way)
    From what I'm reading here, the 2245 router is to be avoided at all costs! So, my question is does anyone have any ideas about which router we should get? Bearing in mind
    1) I have a PS3 and want as good a connection as possible for online gaming.
    2) There is a household of 3 of us going to be sharing the broadband connection
    We're getting the 30Mb Fibre Broadband package, with the free phone calls, which they say comes with a free wireless router. Doesn't say which router it is though. Should I even go as far as to get a second router for my PS3 gaming? Any ideas / advice would be appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Anyone got any suggestions to help me out with this?
    My housemates and I are gonna switch over to UPC in the next week or so (coz Eircom has been terrible in every way)
    From what I'm reading here, the 2245 router is to be avoided at all costs! So, my question is does anyone have any ideas about which router we should get? Bearing in mind
    1) I have a PS3 and want as good a connection as possible for online gaming.
    2) There is a household of 3 of us going to be sharing the broadband connection
    We're getting the 30Mb Fibre Broadband package, with the free phone calls, which they say comes with a free wireless router. Doesn't say which router it is though. Should I even go as far as to get a second router for my PS3 gaming? Any ideas / advice would be appreciated!
    The free modem/router is the Cisco EPC2425, which everyone rightly says is rubbish. I had UPC replace mine with the SA2203 modem and bought an Apple Airport Extreme router to use with it and i'm completely happy with my setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Anan1 wrote: »
    The free modem/router is the Cisco EPC2425, which everyone rightly says is rubbish. I had UPC replace mine with the SA2203 modem and bought an Apple Airport Extreme router to use with it and i'm completely happy with my setup.
    Cheers man. I'm gonna ring them today and request the SA 2203 modem instead of the EPC 2425 modem/router. Every thread that I've read about the EPC 2425 that UPC provide has been panning it, it seems to be rubbish! It's a pain in the ass to have to be buying a seperate router, but I suppose it's the better option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Cheers man. I'm gonna ring them today and request the SA 2203 modem instead of the EPC 2425 modem/router. Every thread that I've read about the EPC 2425 that UPC provide has been panning it, it seems to be rubbish! It's a pain in the ass to have to be buying a seperate router, but I suppose it's the better option
    I wasn't too happy myself, especially as the Airport Extreme cost €150. That said, I needed a fast, reliable connection over wifi and now I have it.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

What's so bad about this 2425? I'm thinking of signing up with UPC and as I'll be ordering online and doing a self-install (otherwise it will cost 30 euro extra) and will choose the 30mbit option I won't be able to decline the wifi modem/router. So I'm wondering what's so bad about it.

Anyway I would really like to put a Draytek Vigor VPN router behind it. But it can't have NAT or anything then.

Is there any way I can set this 2425 into a 'dumb' modem option? Or maybe I'll just get the 10mbit package first and then upgrade or something :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

What's so bad about this 2425? I'm thinking of signing up with UPC and as I'll be ordering online and doing a self-install (otherwise it will cost 30 euro extra) and will choose the 30mbit option I won't be able to decline the wifi modem/router. So I'm wondering what's so bad about it.

Anyway I would really like to put a Draytek Vigor VPN router behind it. But it can't have NAT or anything then.

Is there any way I can set this 2425 into a 'dumb' modem option? Or maybe I'll just get the 10mbit package first and then upgrade or something :)

There's a bridge option, if you don't need the phone service.

I've been offered a freebie wireless router by a mate, so obviously that's my favoured option.
    But can anyone at all be specific as to what's wrong with the 2425? I don't need the best router ever, and a one unit solution still sounds much neater to me.

I've been offered a freebie wireless router by a mate, so obviously that's my favoured option.
    But can anyone at all be specific as to what's wrong with the 2425? I don't need the best router ever, and a one unit solution still sounds much neater to me.

Crappy interface, it loses port forwarding details after a power cycle etc. It can be set in bridge mode, and you can use your other router normally at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Spear wrote: »
    Crappy interface, it loses port forwarding details after a power cycle etc. It can be set in bridge mode, and you can use your other router normally at least.

Yep mine has done this also. If I was to bridge it and use my own router, would it loose the "bridge" setting after a power cycle also?
    Just realised I have the phone service so I cant bridge it. Any other options?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Pataman wrote: »
    Any other options?

I think that replacing the modem may be your only option, either that or keep what you have and live with it's crappyness. A Scientific Atlanta 2203 modem has phone ports, and you can connect it's output to your own router (since it has no built in router). UPC might provide one if you ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

If a 2425 is stable connection-wise I suppose that would do for me. But I'd have to disable the WiFi in Bridge mode so it's a bit of a waste.

Would they force you to upgrade to a 2425 if you get the 10mbit package first and then upgrade the connection speed?

• Advertisement

If a 2425 is stable connection-wise I suppose that would do for me. But I'd have to disable the WiFi in Bridge mode so it's a bit of a waste.

Would they force you to upgrade to a 2425 if you get the 10mbit package first and then upgrade the connection speed?
    they don't force you to take the EPC2425 when you get the higher packages, they just install it by default unless you tell them otherwise, but as the 2203 modem is in short supply, it can take a bit of "encouragement" to get them to give you one instead of the 2425 as they probably have big sheds full of them piling up that people reading these forums don't want. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement