Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace NTL modem/router setup?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

vibe666 wrote: »
    they don't force you to take the EPC2425 when you get the higher packages, they just install it by default unless you tell them otherwise, but as the 2203 modem is in short supply, it can take a bit of "encouragement" to get them to give you one instead of the 2425 as they probably have big sheds full of them piling up that people reading these forums don't want. :D
    Heh heh, I asked them about getting the 2203 modem, but they told me they had none in stock. I'm getting the 30mb broadband installed on Saturday, with the EPC 2425 modem/router, so I'll see how it goes. I haven't got the spare money to be buying a router at the moment anyway.
    They told me if I had problems with it I could contact technical support and they might be able to swap the EPC2425 for a SA2203 modem. Ideally I won't have to do this, and then have to buy my own router, but everything I've heard about this EPC2425 modem/router has been very negative. Fingers crossed I won't have problems with it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

so i got it installed and ended up getting the 2425. setup all the wifi etc and next time i login all the wifi options are gone. i took an instant dislike to it, put it into bridging mode and hooked up my own router. no problems now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Random wrote: »
    so i got it installed and ended up getting the 2425. setup all the wifi etc and next time i login all the wifi options are gone. i took an instant dislike to it, put it into bridging mode and hooked up my own router. no problems now.
    hang on, i'll send you a membership form to the "cisco epc2425 routers are crap club". can't guarantee a delivery time tho, we're pretty busy sending out forms at the minute, it's like xmas eve at the north pole! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I've battled for days now to try and get a modem from them, no joy.

how were people getting modems?

They keep telling me they don't supply modems anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

ntlbell wrote: »
    I've battled for days now to try and get a modem from them, no joy.

how were people getting modems?

They keep telling me they don't supply modems anymore

Well they still supply a non-wifi modem with their 10 mbit package, unless they charge for it now? Check out their broadband page: Link. But it doesn't specify what you'll get on the 10 mbit package. Maybe just a 2425 with the wifi disabled then?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Anyway...
    After all that I just used the first wireless router that was free from a mate. It's a Linksys WG64GS (I think) and it's currently working fine.
    Maybe I will keep router and modem separate for a while longer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Anyway...
    After all that I just used the first wireless router that was free from a mate. It's a Linksys WG64GS (I think) and it's currently working fine.
    Maybe I will keep router and modem separate for a while longer!
    is it a WRT54GS maybe? the black & blue ones with 2 antenna at the back.

one of the best consumer grade routers ever made imho, i'm still using one now on my 30mbps and have been using them for around 6 years now and i'm only just thinking of moving on to something new now and only because of the move to 802.11N & full gigabit ethernet at home.

the only downside is that the default linksys firmware is a little basic and can be flaky with high usage, but most of the WRT54G routers will work with alternative 3rd party firmwares like DDWRT, openWRT & tomato, altho you'd need to check the specific model number to confirm compatibility.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Oh yes, that's the one, 54. Working a treat.

put your epc2425 in bridging mode - http://<ip>/GatewayMode.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

put your epc2425 in bridging mode - http://<ip>/GatewayMode.asp

Do you loose the phone/RJ11 functionality in Bridging mode?

• Advertisement

sorry, you probably do. i have no idea though because i don't have phone services from them so i didn't consider it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

sorry, you probably do. i have no idea though because i don't have phone services from them so i didn't consider it.

Tried it and I can confirm you loose the phone/RJ11 functionality through the Cisco2425 :( Back to using the 'DMZ' method

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

New UPC Modem and Speed issues thread here. All posts there from now on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement