Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nirvana Ireland T Shirt @ Hot Topic

Options
  • 28-12-2010 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

Anyone who is a fan of Nirvana would do well to check out Hot Topic's new Nirvana T Shirt, which is a recreation of the poster for their Point Depo gig in Dublin in June 1992.

It's not a bad looking shirt and is something that has a nice Irish link to it (I'd be interested to know why this gig was picked so randomly to make a shirt from) - I suspect any copies of these original posters from 1992 are in the hands of collectors. Anyway, if you're interested, it's pictured below.

997691_hi?$thumbnail_big$

http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/Apparel/TShirts/BandTees/Nirvana-Live-In-Dublin--Ireland-1992-TShirt-997691.jsp

You can get the shirt from XS to 3XL so there is no excuse!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 clawhand69

if my memory serves me right that gig by the band never happen? and that date was the day kurt killed himself?? i know my bro still has a ticket for the gig and didn"t bother getting a refund thinking it may be put to a later date. wonder how much that ticket stub is worth now???..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

clawhand69 wrote: »
    if my memory serves me right that gig by the band never happen? and that date was the day kurt killed himself?? i know my bro still has a ticket for the gig and didn"t bother getting a refund thinking it may be put to a later date. wonder how much that ticket stub is worth now???..:)

I'll give him treble what he paid for it :P;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the date on the t-shirt is 21 june 1992, kurt's death happened on the 5th april 1994.

i don't know if the gig went ahead as i was too young to remember (only 6 in 1992). i do know that nirvana did play the SFX venue here though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 clawhand69

lol,i"ll let him know!! i know theres a story bout said gig in the point must ask him bout it.that ticket is deffo worth a few bob or two...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

lol,i"ll let him know!! i know theres a story bout said gig in the point must ask him bout it.that ticket is deffo worth a few bob or two...

This is from 1992, this gig was attended by someone I know in college (he was a mature student when I was studying), we spoke about it once. Also, even if this gig had of been cancelled, Kurt committed suicide in April 1994 and was scheduled to play here in April or May 1994 so I think rescheduling a gig to 2 years time and asking people to keep their ticket stubs for 2 years would have been a bit much (even now it would seem utterly mad)

According to http://www.nirvanaguide.com/ the band performed in Ireland

08/20/91 - Sir Henry's, Cork, Ireland
    08/21/91 - The Top Hat, Dun Laoghaire, Ireland (they played Reading 2 days after this gig)
    06/21/92 - The Point Theatre, Dublin, Ireland
    06/22/92 - The King's Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland
    A clip from the end of the Belfast 92 show was broadcast on the Irish documentary Behind the Scenes with Nirvana on City Channel.

The setlist for June 1992 was

1. Aneurysm
    2. Drain You
    3. Stay Away
    4. School
    5. Sliver
    6. In Bloom
    7. Breed
    8. About A Girl
    9. Polly
    10. Lithium
    11. Blew
    12. Been A Son
    13. On A Plain
    14. Negative Creep
    15. Come As You Are
    16. Smells Like Teen Spirit
    17. Territorial Pissings

Their last ever gig, officially, was March 1st 1994 in Germany

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

The '94 show was a seperate event,not a hangover from the previous tour 2 years previous. I had a ticket for the '94 gig,not a huge Nirvana fan but wanted to check them out live. I seemed to be one of the few that went back to get my money back when it was cancelled. Tommy in Sound Cellar was saying everyone was holding onto the tickets for collectible value as the gig would've been the day Cobain died.

lord lucan wrote: »
    Tommy in Sound Cellar was saying everyone was holding onto the tickets for collectible value as the gig would've been the day Cobain died.

It just goes to show the fans weren't overcome with grief enough to register what a happy marketing opportunity this would be - the label probably didn't lose that much sleep over it either and might have made more money from the fact he didn't actually tour that year.

In case you're interested, this is what the ticket looked like

!B77pDwwBmk~$(KGrHqZ,!l8Ey+jCzcv2BM1sD7oLHQ~~_12.JPG

The admission price, in Euro, is 21.50 (kind of makes you weep, doesn't it, that would have been a big gig at the time)

Their first ever gig, outside of America, was played in Newcastle...and actually, the venue still survives as a music venue today
    http://www.riversidenewcastle.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

if my memory serves me right that gig by the band never happen? and that date was the day kurt killed himself Courtney had him shot
    Fyp

scudzilla wrote: »
    I'll give him treble what he paid for it :P;)

Here it is btw

19833_303661226202_272423591202_5106871_2535467_n.jpg

Advertisement