Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hints and tips for a noob

Options
  • 28-12-2010 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭

Hi guy's

I started playing Battlefield 2 last night online (PS3) and i suck big donkey balls. So bad infact that i kept getting kicked from games all night. This is mostly down to the fact that i didn't have a clue what i was doing.
    I'm hoping someone can give me a few hints on tactics and basic gameplay or if you wouldn't mind a complete muppet on your team,to add me to your friends list Weiland79.
    I am not new to online games and am fairly handy at COD but that is clearly a different type of game altogether.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

weiland79 wrote: »
    Hi guy's

I started playing Battlefield 2 last night online (PS3) and i suck big donkey balls. So bad infact that i kept getting kicked from games all night. This is mostly down to the fact that i didn't have a clue what i was doing.
    I'm hoping someone can give me a few hints on tactics and basic gameplay or if you wouldn't mind a complete muppet on your team,to add me to your friends list Weiland79.
    I am not new to online games and am fairly handy at COD but that is clearly a different type of game altogether.

Thanks in advance.

(Assuming you mean BC2 here)

If you're just starting off, the other players will have higher ranks which means they'll have unlocked advantages such as the various scopes, faster healing etc.

For the first few ranks of each class, you'll be missing basic kit such as ammo packs and defibs. Once you have these you'll be able to aid teammates more and in turn score more.

I'd suggest sticking close to squadmates, they'll be better equipped and know the approaches better. Or worst case they'll give the enemy something else to shoot at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

I only started playing it yesterday to! its awesome...

I found myself getting kicked around to... didn't have good enough weapons etc... i.e. i went sniper, and i could hit them, but unless i scored a head shot i didn't ever kill... then had to reload. And they would be gone by time I could get a second shot of... I played rush and leveled up until I got another sniper rifle giving me multiple shots and now i'm hitting top 2 in every event.

Basically as said grind through a few games until you unlock some stuff. Then you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

weiland79 wrote: »
    Hi guy's
    I'm hoping someone can give me a few hints on tactics and basic gameplay or if you wouldn't mind a complete muppet on your team
    Thanks in advance.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

You only need the bit after the =.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

Spear wrote: »

You only need the bit after the =.

cheers spear,i tried every combination except that one ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

cheers spear,i tried every combination except that one ;)

its hard on you own especially if your not with friends.
    there an IRL clan on the xbox forum for just friendly games for some craic if you want to join up.skill doesnt matter either.
    its way better this way because loan soldiers dont work on this
    game. its all about team work

edit

for sum reason i didnt see you had it on ps3. find a few lads to play with you on ps3 and it will be way better

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

You need to get COD out of your head when playing any of the Battlefield games, they are totally different in terms of team play etc.

If you go as a lone wolf in battlefield, unless you know what your doing or are very handy with the steel, you will be crucified. Why? Because you will be going up against three of four other guys in a squad, who are all talking to each other and working as a team.

So my number one piece of advice is stick with your squad, get a bluetooth headset and talk to them. If one of your squad dies he can tell you where his killer is located allowing you to go get some revenge. Spot the enemy constantly for your teammates.

Number two - learn the maps, choke points, spawn points etc. Easiest way to do this without dying a lot is in a tank or an APC. Drive around the maps and learn the geography. Learn the best ways of navigating the maps. My favorite map is White Pass. There are certain places on that map that I wont go near because I will invariably be riddled with bullets.

Number three - pick a class that suits you. I have found a setup that works for me. Either assault or engineer (depending on the map). My primary weapon is the USAS shotgun (slag me if you dare but its the best gun in the game for close quarters), secondary is the MP93 (think thats what its called, its a handgun that fires in bursts), lightweight pack. On most days, I am first or second in most rounds with this setup. It may not work for you but its important to find what suits you.

Oh, and watch that video a few times...

Whatever the overall opinion of BF:BC2, I had one of those "this game is awesome" moments playing harvest day the other night, I was running through a field and it was literally like something out of band of brothers, tracer bullets flying everywhere, tanks and general mayhem. I couldn't stop smiling.

Stick with it and enjoy the carnage....

I saw much the same response in the playstation forum as the post above.

All valid points and a lot of help but i'd somewhat disagree with number 3, which is what the other lad had posted too.

While it's handy to find your best class, to win games and rack up team points it's important to pick the class that suits the current situation i.e if a squad member is in a tank, switch to engineer so you can keep the tank going as long as possible etc..

Also i find the medic is by far the best attacking class in rush.
    Until I watched the video posted above, I didn't know that reviving someone pushed the number counter back up(i taught it was just saving time and keeping men on the front line, i had put 50 hours into the game without noticing that)

I saw much the same response in the playstation forum as the post above.

All valid points and a lot of help but i'd somewhat disagree with number 3, which is what the other lad had posted too.

While it's handy to find your best class, to win games and rack up team points it's important to pick the class that suits the current situation i.e if a squad member is in a tank, switch to engineer so you can keep the tank going as long as possible etc..

Also i find the medic is by far the best attacking class in rush.
    Until I watched the video posted above, I didn't know that reviving someone pushed the number counter back up(i taught it was just saving time and keeping men on the front line, i had put 50 hours into the game without noticing that)

it is important to find a class that suits you but i do agree you must also do something to suit the squad. i play as recon or engineer and all ive left to do is platinum the vss with 400 more kills and the first engineer gun 9A91 or something? i'm nearly finished them classes with 50 more mortar kills and im not bothering much with the guided missile for engineer because its crap.
    these classes suit me and i'm also not a camping sniper like most snipers on battlefield. i attack with the hand gun and get in and round the charge and snipe without a 12x scope because i dont need it as im so close to the battle. all handguns platinum'd is proof of this.
    when im finished those classes i'm going to more on to medic and assault and change my gameplay to suit my squad that way.

and yes the usas is an awsome shotgun and most people only think its semi auto not fully auto.
    lightweight is also better than the red dot or 4x scope. learn to get used to not using scopes and you will benifit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

How come people pick engineer on maps with no vehicles? Are their weapons that effective compared to assault? Or do they just like the class/want to level up?

• Advertisement

grizzly wrote: »
    How come people pick engineer on maps with no vehicles? Are their weapons that effective compared to assault? Or do they just like the class/want to level up?

There'll always be people working on gaining bronze/silver/gold/platinum stars and the other badges/insignias. The SMG's are fairly nasty anyway, and shouldn't be underestimated. Plus even engineers can still take the G3 or M14 and act as an effective assault. Or then again, it's just someone abusing the Carl Gustav.

@gilberto_eire

Valid point on the choice and modification of classes.

Most likely a balance between my view and yours is the best option - however, no point in playing a specific class for a specifc map/situation if you are getting murdered repeatedly. Same applies if you play a certain class and contribute nothing to your team.

Most important word in the above is contribute - this is the major difference in BF compared to COD. You can run around killing people all you want but if you contribute nothing to your team then you are contributing nothing (edit - lol, just realised the repeat here)...

There's a reason why your kills dont show in the scoreboard until the end of game summary - while its nice to have a healthy KD, it means nothing if you lose every game...

grizzly wrote: »

i use engineer on classes so if theres a sniper in a building i can take out a rocket and ruin his spot, same if he's in a tree. using rockets will change maps completely if you take out all the decent recon spots.
    Keyzer wrote: »
    @gilberto_eire

There's a reason why your kills dont show in the scoreboard until the end of game summary - while its nice to have a healthy KD, it means nothing if you lose every game...

lately i find poeple are only bothered about their kills. ive seen people standing around the charge waiting for someone to come near it instead of disarming it. or the charge is set downstairs and they stay sniping upstairs. this wrecks my head

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

10 Newbie rules.

1. Spot
    2. Spot
    3. Spot
    4. join a squad
    5. Stay with said squad
    6. Revive / heal / repair / resupply team mates
    7. Spot
    8. Spot
    9. Get some kills, and try not to die too often
    10. Spot

That should get you ranking up in no time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

LMAO....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

If you insist on sniping then realise that you don't need to snipe from miles away, stay up the map with most of your team, even if you don't get that many kills, you will let your squad mates spawn on you.
    Nothing annoys me more than spawning on the retarded sniper in my squad who is way too far back to be effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

Lafortezza wrote: »
    If you insist on sniping then realise that you don't need to snipe from miles away, stay up the map with most of your team, even if you don't get that many kills, you will let your squad mates spawn on you.
    Nothing annoys me more than spawning on the retarded sniper in my squad who is way too far back to be effective.

I team kill those ****ers and then they have no choice but to spawn with the squad. It really annoys me as your short 2-3 men when you're attacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

heard good things about this game , might buy it when is BFBC3 out , if its a few months away i might just get 2 , is it a bit CODish.

almanu wrote: »
    heard good things about this game , might buy it when is BFBC3 out , if its a few months away i might just get 2 , is it a bit CODish.

1 There is no such game as Bad Company 3

2 BC2 is nothing like CoD

3 Battlefield 3 will be announced 1st March

4 BF3 will be a different kettle of fish.

Seconded - BF is chalk and cheese to COD, nothing similar at all in terms of gameplay...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭seantobin43

add me i will help you out PSN ID is seantobin43

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 steve_cass

Just got this game today ... impulse buy lol. Mostly play COD so I thought this would be a good change. IF anyone is up to helping out a noob my psn id is steve_cass29.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 OperaticBug

• Don't snipe until you have a few ranks so you don't give away your tags so easily. If you do snipe never camp, after a kill or a miss move spot, most players will hunt you down, flank you and take your tags.
    • Join a squad and help the squad
    • Spawn on squad mates - always
    • Throw down Ammo or Medic Packs
    • Spot, Spot, Spot enemies, vehicles etc..
    • Dont try to be Rambo, do not rush into areas alone
    • Always approach areas from the flanks or hang back a little
    • If your a medic let your sqaud mates charge in, then after they've died but wounded the enemies, kill the enemies and review your squad mates.
    After you rank up a bit, try to get kills with as many differnet weapons to rank up quickly (try to get all bronse, silver, gold then platinum in each weapon)

Remember squad up, spot and help team mates. This will make for a much better game, for you and for others.

• Don't snipe until you have a few ranks so you don't give away your tags so easily. If you do snipe never camp, after a kill or a miss move spot, most players will hunt you down, flank you and take your tags.
    • Join a squad and help the squad
    • Spawn on squad mates - always
    • Throw down Ammo or Medic Packs
    • Spot, Spot, Spot enemies, vehicles etc..
    • Dont try to be Rambo, do not rush into areas alone
    • Always approach areas from the flanks or hang back a little
    • If your a medic let your sqaud mates charge in, then after they've died but wounded the enemies, kill the enemies and review your squad mates.
    After you rank up a bit, try to get kills with as many differnet weapons to rank up quickly (try to get all bronse, silver, gold then platinum in each weapon)

Remember squad up, spot and help team mates. This will make for a much better game, for you and for others.

good tips.
    cept f*ck the spotting and play hardcore :D

another tip is to watch if all your team mates die. stay a hide till some of them spawn. this way ye will be all nearer the base. some of the maps takeforever to walk so watch out for them dying on bigger maps and hang on a few seconds for them to rejoin you

How many Gold stars do you need for a Platinum?.... I'd guess 10, I'm on on 8 with the LMG but trying to Gold everything else out. Doubt you'd Platinum every weapon if it's at least 10 Golds, that 1000 kills per weapon.

I'm trying to get all the pins and badges. Most will come in time but some seem tricky like ''road kill 3 in a round'' and 500 shotgun kills(that's more a slow process).

After 100 hours I'm only L31, Yet I don't have a great deal of pins and badges to collect, 1 pin and maybe 15 badges and I'm only silver in all guns bar a few of the shotguns, G3's etc... I'd have taught finishing them would leave you at L50.... but I'm going to be well off after unless there's extra XP bonuses for completing everything

How many Gold stars do you need for a Platinum?.... I'd guess 10, I'm on on 8 with the LMG but trying to Gold everything else out. Doubt you'd Platinum every weapon if it's at least 10 Golds, that 1000 kills per weapon.

I'm trying to get all the pins and badges. Most will come in time but some seem tricky like ''road kill 3 in a round'' and 500 shotgun kills(that's more a slow process).

After 100 hours I'm only L31, Yet I don't have a great deal of pins and badges to collect, 1 pin and maybe 15 badges and I'm only silver in all guns bar a few of the shotguns, G3's etc... I'd have taught finishing them would leave you at L50.... but I'm going to be well off after unless there's extra XP bonuses for completing everything

its not too bad to platinum them. about 15 hours be gun aint bad.
    ive recon class finished and engineer. and then the tommy gun. rpg, custav,c4, mortar, grenade knife tanks and choppers platinm'd too. and all of the handguns too.
    what a done was get all bronze first, then silver,, then gold, and then start to stick to the same gun in each class. you get very used to a certain gun and switching only messes that up.

add me i will help you out PSN ID is seantobin43
    steve_cass wrote: »
    Just got this game today ... impulse buy lol. Mostly play COD so I thought this would be a good change. IF anyone is up to helping out a noob my psn id is steve_cass29.

Would PS3 players be interested in a name list sticky similar to the PC players one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 steve_cass

yeah a sticky for names would be a good idea

garv123 wrote: »
    its not too bad to platinum them. about 15 hours be gun aint bad.
    ive recon class finished and engineer. and then the tommy gun. rpg, custav,c4, mortar, grenade knife tanks and choppers platinm'd too. and all of the handguns too.
    what a done was get all bronze first, then silver,, then gold, and then start to stick to the same gun in each class. you get very used to a certain gun and switching only messes that up.

How many hours have you put into it?

Are you like a BC2 version of those people who play COD solely when they're online and no less even a year down the line?.
    Don't mean that in a smart way, just can't see how you could get circa 1000 kills per weapon without putting in nearly 1000 hours.

I'm at 100 hours now, I got a Platinum for Tanks yesterday which was 450 kills i think, highest weapon is LMG which i have at Gold 8 star, and when i first owned the game it was the only gun I really picked.

I find it's a bit of hassle to even get Gold in everything and get all the pins/badges(a badge only requires 2 Platinums, that seems fair enough to me, not everyone can put in the hours to get that many kills for Platinum for every gun)

My K/D ratio is over 1.00 but considering how long the games take and the fact that in some rounds you mightn't get much action, I couldn't possibly Platinum every weapon, it would require another 200-300 hours I'd say.
    I'll be doing well to get ones like the 500 shotguns kills etc...

• Advertisement

How many hours have you put into it?

Are you like a BC2 version of those people who play COD solely when they're online and no less even a year down the line?.
    Don't mean that in a smart way, just can't see how you could get circa 1000 kills per weapon without putting in nearly 1000 hours.

I'm at 100 hours now, I got a Platinum for Tanks yesterday which was 450 kills i think, highest weapon is LMG which i have at Gold 8 star, and when i first owned the game it was the only gun I really picked.

I find it's a bit of hassle to even get Gold in everything and get all the pins/badges(a badge only requires 2 Platinums, that seems fair enough to me, not everyone can put in the hours to get that many kills for Platinum for every gun)

My K/D ratio is over 1.00 but considering how long the games take and the fact that in some rounds you mightn't get much action, I couldn't possibly Platinum every weapon, it would require another 200-300 hours I'd say.
    I'll be doing well to get ones like the 500 shotguns kills etc...

If you stick to one gun, you'll plat it in no time. I always switch, so only have a few plats.

AN94, 40mm Nade, Knife, tanks and plenty of gold stars.

He might play a lot yeah, but sure I stopped playing for about 5 months, didn't play from launch (as my PC was FUBAR at the time) and I'm rank 38.

If you play a couple of hours each night you rack up the hours fairly quickly.

And what badges are you talking about for 2 plats? There is only 1 badge with that requirement.

Advertisement