Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hints and tips for a noob

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

pointless. You can sit on a tree in valperisso as an attacker about 10 foot from the right side of the third set of mcom stations. Great spawn point. seriously hard to spot someone being a spawn point there. Stupid to team kill someone being a great spawn point just because they're in a tree.

You know what I mean, like the guys who sit in the hills in Arica harbour sniping down onto the final m-com.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 steve_cass

I love sniping in this game i think it's great fun to get a guy at the far end of the map behind a wall or up in the windows of the lighthouse. But some of the snipers that kill me , when I see where they were and where I was I just think " what a shot" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

OP here.

Between one thing another i actually only sat down with this properly yesterday and had a good six hour session. After taking the hints and tips on board i used mostly the medic class, and did pretty well. Winning a good precentage of my games and usually finishing in the top 2 or 3 on the leaderboard. I found to give the team a final push on assault it was best to change to assault class and really push it on the last section of the maps. It really is a great game and can't believe it took me this long to get into it. Will be getting Vietnam today can't wait to get home tonight.

Add me on PS3 Weiland79.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

steve_cass wrote: »
    I love sniping in this game i think it's great fun to get a guy at the far end of the map behind a wall or up in the windows of the lighthouse. But some of the snipers that kill me , when I see where they were and where I was I just think " what a shot" :D
    pffffft softcore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Wasn't sure where to post this but anyway I just picked up bfbc2 recently and while I'm enjoying it for the most part there's a few things really pissing me off
    1:spawning,could they have made it any worse?i mostly play squad rush and squad deathmatch and it's ridiculous the system used,is there even a spawn system for deathmatch?as for rush I keep getting put into a game where there's 2 or 3 lads just pointing a gun at the only spawn point available just waiting to blow me away
    2:matchmaking,don't think that needs elaborating on,bit of a joke really
    It's potentially an excellent game let down by the most basic of things,I'm amazed how games get released like this.

• Advertisement

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Wasn't sure where to post this but anyway I just picked up bfbc2 recently and while I'm enjoying it for the most part there's a few things really pissing me off
    1:spawning,could they have made it any worse?i mostly play squad rush and squad deathmatch and it's ridiculous the system used,is there even a spawn system for deathmatch?as for rush I keep getting put into a game where there's 2 or 3 lads just pointing a gun at the only spawn point available just waiting to blow me away
    2:matchmaking,don't think that needs elaborating on,bit of a joke really
    It's potentially an excellent game let down by the most basic of things,I'm amazed how games get released like this.
    Squad rush are very small maps designed for quick close combat. TBH i maybe played this mode 3 times.
    Squad rush, never spawn off team mates.
    2: Do you have the vip code to get the 7 map packs that were released.

Squad rush are very small maps designed for quick close combat. TBH i maybe played this mode 3 times.
    Squad rush, never spawn off team mates.
    2: Do you have the vip code to get the 7 map packs that were released.

I prefer the smaller maps and squad rush is great except everybody leaves on the team that's losing leaving one person to spawn at the base point,by which time the other team has advanced on top of that point ready to shoot as soon as they spawn,so anyone that joins the game spawns there aswel and it just descends into a farce.when it works the way it's supposed to it's excellent but more often than not that's the way it pans out.
    Is that the code that originally comes with the game?if so then yes,got it new and sealed on eBay

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

Just play Rush its much better

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

yea if you want small maps forget about BF...

also, play hardcore.. there is less retards...

JayEnnis wrote: »
    Just play Rush its much better

I've tried to get into rush and conquest,not really for me tbh.I like my first person shooters not so much first person flying/bombing/quadbiking/speedboating,sometimes it seems there's nobody left on the ground to shoot at

• Advertisement

I've tried to get into rush and conquest,not really for me tbh.I like my first person shooters not so much first person flying/bombing/quadbiking/speedboating

then battlefield isn't really for you mate... these are all important parts of BF...
    sometimes it seems there's nobody left on the ground to shoot at

BF is not all about shooting at people, you have to help your team mates by reviving/repairing/resupplying/spotting/arming MCOMMs/disarming MCOMMs etc...

most of my matches I have about 6 or 7 kills, but i am usually near the top of the scoreboard because of other things i do in game.

can i make a wild guess? You play/"used to play" COD quite a bit yes? :pac:

Korvanica wrote: »
    then battlefield isn't really for you mate... these are all important parts of BF...

BF is not all about shooting at people, you have to help your team mates by reviving/repairing/resupplying/spotting/arming MCOMMs/disarming MCOMMs etc...

most of my matches I have about 6 or 7 kills, but i am usually near the top of the scoreboard because of other things i do in game.

can i make a wild guess? You play/"used to play" COD quite a bit yes? :pac:
    I was wondering when someone would roll out the call of duty line(I'd put a rolleyes in here but im on the phone),as I said before rush and conquest are not for me therefore I don't play them,squad rush and deathmatch are,I knew that before I got it but i didnt know they were seriously flawed by the 2 points I originally made

I was wondering when someone would roll out the call of duty line(I'd put a rolleyes in here but im on the phone),as I said before rush and conquest are not for me therefore I don't play them,squad rush and deathmatch are,I knew that before I got it but i didnt know they were seriously flawed by the 2 points I originally made

Someone had to say it :P :)

Don't like conquest myself... its too easy to dominate...as in you get pinned down in your own base,.... Only usually play rush...

if your on xbox this is the best advice i can give you. Go find the irl clan thread on xbox...... sign up, grab a mic and play, you'll see how good the games of rush can be with a few members

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

I think the above is true. Battlefield is a very team orientated game. Get in a good squad and its one of the best shooters you can play. On the other hand get in a squad where pple revive you in front of enemies or just camp on hills snipping and you won't enjoy it.

I don't play squad rush really but I imagine a good squad with mics is even more important to have any chance of it being enjoyable. I tend to only play battlefield if i see a couple of people on my friends list playing it unless I wanna ass around as a sniper lone wolf.

if your on xbox this is the best advice i can give you. Go find the irl clan thread on xbox...... sign up, grab a mic and play, you'll see how good the games of rush can be with a few members

On ps3,it's definitely been far more enjoyable with friends or even random people that aren't dicks and play as a team,guess I'll have to make more friends:)

On ps3,it's definitely been far more enjoyable with friends or even random people that aren't dicks and play as a team,guess I'll have to make more friends:)
    It is the best fps out there if you play with friends. You'll really appreciate the vehicles when you work as a team, Having someone good in a chopper is a great mobile spawn point and can get you up into some hidden gems of places

Just got my new PC this week and my little cousin bought this for his fathers laptop not realising the whole specs issue with PC games.

Had no interest in buying it since i own it on the PS3... but said i'd give it a go.

I've been all over the place, I'm flying it in L4D but I only need to press E/R and have crouch assigned to my mouse.

There's no option to move crouch and run to the mouse and I was finding it extremely hard to grip my hand to be able to reach all buttons, do all ye use the standard layout or is there a more user friendly one?... using my baby finger is just too awkward especially having to hold crouch with it.

Is it just a case of preserverence with the current layout?... I found myself moving in directions I didnt even want such was the scale of consecutive button commands needed at any one time coupled with the awkward layout.

Any tips?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Just got my new PC this week and my little cousin bought this for his fathers laptop not realising the whole specs issue with PC games.

Had no interest in buying it since i own it on the PS3... but said i'd give it a go.

I've been all over the place, I'm flying it in L4D but I only need to press E/R and have crouch assigned to my mouse.

There's no option to move crouch and run to the mouse and I was finding it extremely hard to grip my hand to be able to reach all buttons, do all ye use the standard layout or is there a more user friendly one?... using my baby finger is just too awkward especially having to hold crouch with it.

Is it just a case of preserverence with the current layout?... I found myself moving in directions I didnt even want such was the scale of consecutive button commands needed at any one time coupled with the awkward layout.

Any tips?

I just use the standard layout, but I'd be well used to such layouts for many others games down the years, so it's probably not a completely fair comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Any tips?

I use the arrow keys only..find the WASD too cluttered..
    So basically it goes like this

Right Shift- Jump
    Right Control- Crouch
    End- Throw Grenade
    Numlock 4- Spot
    Assigned to mouse (logitech G9)
    E- Enter vehicle (side button top)
    1- Melee (side button bottom)
    2- Pistol (tilt wheel left)
    3- Rifle- (tile wheel right)
    R- Reload (push down mouse wheel).

so for basic ground combat I only use the arrow keys+ 5 keys around them for all my combat in conjunction with my mouse.
    Having a multibutton mouse makes a huge difference in your gameplay

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

I find being in a squad can play against you. At the end of the day, its all about yourself. So why not just go and be a lone wolf? Snipe.. Assault... Engineer etc. Thats what i do anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

KeithAFC wrote: »
    I find being in a squad can play against you. At the end of the day, its all about yourself. So why not just go and be a lone wolf? Snipe.. Assault... Engineer etc. Thats what i do anyway.

how so? playing in a squad with people you know is very handy. you can tell them where people are and where the tanks are at. medics can revive you and ye can move up together and get into the base much faster spawning off each other?
    even having a squad of randomer's is handy. it would take forever to get into their base and get half way there and be blown away by a tank. random people in your squad will provide spawn points unless of course you're the kinda guy who sits in a tree miles from the action sniping and getting angry when people spawn on you and give away your position.

squad play is crucial in the game imo

garv123 wrote: »
    how so? playing in a squad with people you know is very handy. you can tell them where people are and where the tanks are at. medics can revive you and ye can move up together and get into the base much faster spawning off each other?
    even having a squad of randomer's is handy. it would take forever to get into their base and get half way there and be blown away by a tank. random people in your squad will provide spawn points unless of course you're the kinda guy who sits in a tree miles from the action sniping and getting angry when people spawn on you and give away your position.

squad play is crucial in the game imo
    Yeah. Exactly. IF you know them. A lot of gamers don't though or play on TS with other people.

But sometimes i find if i want to baserape, i get people in my squad spawning on me. It can effect your "operation" and can make you a bigger target with more men around you. Thus could effect your sabotage of the roads with say C4 or tank mines or even just simple camping.

Yeah. Exactly. IF you know them. A lot of gamers don't though or play on TS with other people.

But sometimes i find if i want to baserape, i get people in my squad spawning on me. It can effect your "operation" and can make you a bigger target with more men around you. Thus could effect your sabotage of the roads with say C4 or tank mines or even just simple camping.

Why bother baseraping?....

I hate it, the other team clear out and you're left with your whole team just sitting outside with mines and all sorts all over the place.

And so starts a long timer till the next game begins or quit out and find a new one

Not really a war sim, when you can't even engage in proper combat is it.

I hope they sort that out, have never had one game where my team was or my team base raped someone... it's reminds me of the lads who just spam lofted through balls in FIFA over and over.
    Purely just in it for the ratios and wins as opposed to having fun and good games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Theres a clan on xbox called proxima (PRX) who normally play hardcore rush. they have perfected base raping. theres points on bases where if your there you elimate that spawn point, such as on isla innocentes if i sit on the top of the building and another lad sits beside the heavy mg it means that they only spawn over behind the fence behind the house where you can spawn kill with ease. but these lads have it on every base where they do it the whole time and wookies picking off anyone who makes it out. the randomers then arm the charge then.

i was actually playing with one of them who was doing it before, so i decided to arm all the charges as fast as i could and he continued to team kill me to stop me so he'd have more time to do this. game ended fast followed by aload of pm's from him abusing me.

they have a webpage and their bios for each person is about how they like to get into the back of the spawn and rape. they have high stats but its mostly spawn killing.

waits for one to come along and deny it all:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭P H A 7V T O M

garv123 wrote: »
    Theres a clan on xbox called proxima (PRX) who normally play hardcore rush. they have perfected base raping. theres points on bases where if your there you elimate that spawn point, such as on isla innocentes if i sit on the top of the building and another lad sits beside the heavy mg it means that they only spawn over behind the fence behind the house where you can spawn kill with ease. but these lads have it on every base where they do it the whole time and wookies picking off anyone who makes it out. the randomers then arm the charge then.

i was actually playing with one of them who was doing it before, so i decided to arm all the charges as fast as i could and he continued to team kill me to stop me so he'd have more time to do this. game ended fast followed by aload of pm's from him abusing me.

they have a webpage and their bios for each person is about how they like to get into the back of the spawn and rape. they have high stats but its mostly spawn killing.

waits for one to come along and deny it all:rolleyes:
    Good luck to them.... They ruin the game though. Spawn-rape is so annoying. It happens a lot on Atacama on Conquest I noticed, especially when the enemy team has BOTH helo's (Hind and Apache? I think*). DICE are working hard to solve the issue on BF 3, read something on it a few days ago.

OT:If you've played CoD before, forget what you know (bar shooting). Try to help team by getting objectives, reviving (at right time), giving ammo, repairing stuff etc. Spot enemies as often as you can. And if you do choose Recon (which in lot of cases you won't need to), play it effectively, eg looking over a com station or whatever it is.

And try to grab vehicles when you can, but don't hang around the spawn like an asshole! lol good luck! :D

*-Probably wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Recon class should always throw your motion sensors near m-con stations so you pick up free assists. In one map I got 30 assists from just lobbing them at or near positions for team and squadmates to get kills. Once you get the tommy gun or shotguns you can really start to clean up in the smaller maps. I've found mortars are best used to either drive defenders out of a m-com site or once a charge is lit to keep them off it. With your long line of sight spot where the enemy are massing and try stay near to the action for your squad to spawn. Watch enemy vehicles retreating and see if you can kill engineers that try repair them. Magnum ammo is very handy as it increases your bullets power. You'll get better able to judge bullet drop with time, I tend to go with half the target's height again as a rough starter shot. Also the best moment I've had in the game is sniping a black hawk chopper pilot so definitely try for yourself, just don't expect it to happen any time.

For Medics try get your defibrillator asap as it's the easiest class to start levelling up with. Revive anyone on your team and squad that's in or near cover. Don't try and be a hero and revive people in dumb places if you're attacking, no point dying trying to revive a team mate if your squad will respawn on you in 4 seconds. Once you get the med kit it's the fastest way I've found to level up. Defib a guy and chuck him a med kit and you get easy points. Find a lmg you like and stick with it. The xm8 and pkm are personal favourites, I tend to fire in burst rather than open up as the reloads can be a killer. Always have a pistol as secondary.

When using Assault use all of your armoury, frags, secondary pistol, and grenade launcher along with your rifle. You can pretty much call in an accurate artillary strike when used along side an engineer. You cover him and supply the rocket ammo and he takes out a buildings walls, allowing you to kill any defenders inside. Tracer darts are handy here as you can tag for your engineer and he can fire. This class complements others very well. Go in before medics and you can be revived easily and allow them to cover your approach, for recon you give them close protection and all important ammo. I'm not 100% certain if they get motion sensors back with the ammo.

Engineers are good for sneaking as in one moment can decimate a small group up close and stop a tank the next. The tracer dart is hugely important, it's the only weapon that isn't affected by gravity. Use it against choppers and tanks and watch them scramble for cover. It allows your rpgs and carl gustavs to lock on and makes the opposition vehicle know it so immediately their priority is no longer on killing you instead self preservation. In one match I darted our own chopper as there were enemy nearby and sure enough they took our chopper only for them to have a rpg on their tale straight away. If you see a building that enemies are using blow it up and kill them inside. You can bring down certain buildings on m-com stations and get the reward from safety. Also if you come across an unsuspecting enemy use your repair tool on him and ventilate his head. If there are tanks friendly or otherwise give them a quick blast. Just don't approach enemy tanks from the rear as they've a habit of reversing at the worst times. Improved demolitions and destruction 2.0 are your friends here.

This game can be such a pile of **** at times,hope they sort out the multiplayer issues for the next one.

This game can be such a pile of **** at times,hope they sort out the multiplayer issues for the next one.
    Why is that?

• Advertisement

Why is that?
    Matchmaking mainly.
    There's 3 of us in a squad and 1 in the other squad,someone new joins,what would be the most retarded thing to do with the new lad???
    Yes you guessed it,put him in the squad with 3 in it.
    It's such a basic thing to get right that I can't get my head around how the game got released like that and never patched.

Also the respawning,had a particularly bad day with this,spent more time waiting to get back into a game than actually in it today due to spawning 2 feet in front of someone to be killed again straight away.

Damage seems to be very inconsistent,I can shoot someone 3 times in the leg and kill him then seconds later 3 times in the head and he is still running at me.

Another thing that happens a bit is after being killed and you change weapon,if someone revives you in the meantime you can't seem to get back into the game.

Sorry for the rant but I had a really bad few games today,everything that I mentioned just kept happening over and over.
    Don't get me wrong its a very enjoyable game otherwise but needs to be improved.

Advertisement