Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunken boat in grand canal basin

Options
  • 28-12-2010 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

Just noticed that a fairly large tugboat has sunk in the last day or two in the grand canal basin (possibly due to the basin freezing).

http://twitpic.com/3kixp3

There seems to be an oil sheen on the vicinity and I'm concerned that the boat could have quite a bit more fuel on board. Who do I contact about this? Waterways Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Smokey Bear

The Irish Coast Guard would be the agency you contact I belive.They are responsible for pollution control on water ways if I am not mistaken.

http://www.transport.ie/marine/IRCG/Pollution/index.asp?lang=ENG&loc=2089

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭smackyB

I emailed the contact for pollution control. May try waterways ireland as well. Fuel leak is much more significant this morning. img20101229084237.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Waterways Ireland are the authority for this area. http://www.waterwaysireland.org/index.cfm/section/article/page/ContactUs

Have tried a few numbers but they are all on holidays. :confused:

Update: I have contacted the IWAI, hopefully they will know someone who can tackle this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Go onto the inland watereways site and post there, they will know how to make contact the the elusive WI

http://www.iwai.ie/

Just got a reply from coast guard so hopefully they'll sort it.

"Thank you for your e-mail re pollution Hanover Quay.

We are investigating the situation at present

Regards

MRCC Dublin"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

smackyB wrote: »
    Just noticed that a fairly large tugboat has sunk in the last day or two in the grand canal basin (possibly due to the basin freezing).
    While its possible that the ice did further damage, it wouldn't be enough by itself to sink something.

Water is at its densest at 4 degrees, so the bottom of the basin is unlikely to reach that temperature. The ice on top acts as an insulating layer. This makes it difficult for boats to sink.

Victor wrote: »
    While its possible that the ice did further damage, it wouldn't be enough by itself to sink something.

Water is at its densest at 4 degrees, so the bottom of the basin is unlikely to reach that temperature. The ice on top acts as an insulating layer. This makes it difficult for boats to sink.

Yes you're probably right - I was merely speculating as the sinking coincided with the ice being at it's thickest.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Just got a message back to say it's being dealt with by WI.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Any idea of the name of the vessel and how it happened

Victor wrote: »

Ice internally rather than externally is a common problem with boats. Hoses will snap near seacocks (through hull valves) and allow water to flow in. Water tanks and their hoses can be a problem, even the toilet and the associated hosing can give problems. I have heard of six boats in the last week alone sinking due to the ice and subsequent thaw.

• Advertisement

Any idea of the name of the vessel and how it happened

Nope and probably not useful to speculate. ;)

Advertisement