Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible fix for getting water

Options
  • 28-12-2010 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭

This worked for me.
    Basically, pipes are still frozen.
    So find your outside stopcock, should be just at the end of your drive.
    Small square thing with a lip, get a screwdriver and lift the lid.
    Now pour boiling water on it.
    Mine took 8 kettles worth.
    Now goto the back of your house to your outside tap.
    Pour boiling water over the pipe.
    Take the tap off and pour boiling water in that.
    Takes a few goes but eventually it started working.
    Turn on your kitchen tap and it should start.
    When its running, turn off all the taps and go into your loft, and see if the tank is filling up.
    Mine is but very very slowly. The pressure will be low and it does the toilets first.

Good luck!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭mann

Cant understand how mine was still frozen this morning, What you say about the main outside stop valve makes a lot of sense as it would be the most exposed connection to the cold weather :cool:

I wil give it a go when i get home

Thanks Mr Pepper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

One of my neighbours threw 3 runs of the kettle and nothing happened, I was gonna do the same, but as it didnt appear to work for them I didnt botter, but as Sgt Pepper 64 says it took 8 runs, so maybe thats the amount that is needed. Sgt Pepper 64, when you say take the outside tap off, do you mean actually unscrew the tap of altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

yep, as this is connected to the mains, the hot water eventually unfroze and went down it instead of sitting in the top

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

THIS WILL WORK
    BUT IF YOUR HOUSE IS ON A SLOPE AS IN YOUR DRIVEWAY IT WONT WORK
    it will not work as you need a lot of pressure to send the hot water UP A HILL

Many thanks to you Mr Pepper,

As this is a new house to me I had to go looking for the mains and found it to be about a foot away from the footings and this would be about 10ft from where the room where the mains enters the house,

It took 4 kettles of boiling water over a period of 20 minutes… I left the tap in the kitchen on as I worked on a couple of odd jobs around the house roughly 30 minutes after I started pouring the hot water on the main I was over the moon to hear water running for the first time in a week,

I’m not actually living at this house my main home is about 80 yards away but I can enter this place from the bottom of my yard so its handy when I need to get some peace and quiet among other things ;)

Reason I couldn’t wait for the pipes to defrost naturally is I found that behind an ugly looking electric fire that sat in the fire place was a Grant boiler that I was mad to try out to see if its all connected to the water tank to heat up the water for me while I sit looking at an open fire - As its doing now :D

Great stuff Mr Pepper,

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mr kr0nik

Cheers for that. The waters been off since XMAS day. Never realised how much I took it for granted for how much I wasted it.

Tried that with 2 kettles of hot water. I thought it would have thawed by now considering the very mild temperatures. I think I'll give it another go tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Pouring boiling water over frozen pipes in not recommended:rolleyes:

Scottie99 wrote: »
    Pouring boiling water over frozen pipes in not recommended:rolleyes:

Have to say the thought of pouring boiling water unto the pipes kinda went against what I have learnt over the years

but seen as it was outside I decided to take the chance as it wouldn’t have cause any floods inside should the worst happen,

It worked out fine for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

This worked for me.
    Basically, pipes are still frozen.
    So find your outside stopcock, should be just at the end of your drive.
    Small square thing with a lip, get a screwdriver and lift the lid.
    Now pour boiling water on it.
    Mine took 8 kettles worth.
    Now goto the back of your house to your outside tap.
    Pour boiling water over the pipe.
    Take the tap off and pour boiling water in that.
    Takes a few goes but eventually it started working.
    Turn on your kitchen tap and it should start.
    When its running, turn off all the taps and go into your loft, and see if the tank is filling up.
    Mine is but very very slowly. The pressure will be low and it does the toilets first.

Good luck!
    thanks mike, credit where its due. ;)

Advertisement