Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single Parent Holiday Advice

Options
  • 28-12-2010 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I'm a recently separated Dad with a three year old boy and looking to take him on a sun holiday where he could meet and play with other kids. Any suggestions? Thanks Bobbie P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Majorca/Spain any hotel + flight package, panorma is cheaper but falcon have more choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bobbie P

Cheers for this Grindelwald!

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Check out places like
    Mark Warner holidays. Family orientated and with clubs for the kids during the day.

I've never gone on one with my kids, but I worked in a Scuba school on one of their hotels once. Pretty nice setup, but pricy if i remember right.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

At age 3, I really think your best bet is to holiday in Ireland to be honest.

He's not going to wander too far from your side at that age in terms of making friends/playing independently and flights/travel can be very tiring on your own.

Do you have relatives/family you could holiday with? It's good to have some adults to chat with/share the load.

Particularly when they were younger, I was always concerned if something happened to me when abroad there would be no one to care for the children.

As they get older (say from 7/8 years) the Keycamp type set up (France/Spain/Italy) is ideal. You can save a lot of money booking all the elements yourself.

Depending on whether or not you are into winter sports but once he's around 5/6, they really take to ski-ing very quickly. Again, I think you are better to be in a group.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Go into a good travel agent and ask their advice on good places to holiday suited to your circumstances. I'm sure they'll be delighted to help. You don't have to book anything with them. I'd keep the flight short if i was you so Portugal and Majorca would be ideal. The 4hour flight to the Canaries can be a bit much for some young kids

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Tiernan36

I have a two year old daughter and would love to get away for a couple of nights to somewhere in Wexford or Waterford. Finances will just allow a couple of nights.. Can anyone reccommend a nice family friendly hotel which has good child care but also suitable for single parents, I dont want to feel like an odd ball sitting on my own after daughter gone to bed (as long as they have babysitting service)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The only ones I know of are Kellys resort and The Amber Springs. Kellys is brilliant but very expensive.

My family used to go there for a week every Summer and it was heaven.

The Amber Springs is good value but I'm not sure if they do babysitting. I was there for a Baptism and there were babysitters, though just for kids over 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Tiernan36

Thanks

I heard Kellys is great, I will check with them to see if I caould get a deal in September when kids back at school. Thanks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Locking 19 month old thread. Common protocol is not to bump old threads like this but to start a new one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement