Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Advice

Options
  • 28-12-2010 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi all,

Need some advice.I'm a carpenter and I'm wondering if i would have any chance of getting a working visa for the US. I have a brother who has been living there for about 5 years (Legal) and have an uncle who is a resident there. So if i could get a sponsor would it be possible for me to get a working visa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

As a carpenter you are not eligible for sponsorship for work visa. You say your brother is there legally, what is his status (work visa vs. greencard vs. citizen)? Only citizens can sponsor a sibling for an immediate resident visa, there is also a long wait for visa numbers to come up in this category (8-10 years). Assuming you are Irish you can stick your name in for the Diversity Visa lottery every year (I think it has closed for this year, but should open again October time next year).

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭MightyDucks

Would it be possible for my uncle who owns a carpenter company to sponsor me as he is a citizen? My brother is on a work visa but i think his going to be eligible for a green card soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Would it be possible for my uncle who owns a carpenter company to sponsor me as he is a citizen?
    No, it's an immediate relative visa so only parent, child, sibling or spouse can sponsor.
    My brother is on a work visa but i think his going to be eligible for a green card soon.
    Green card holders can sponsor spouses or minor children but for the other categories the sponsor must be a citizen.

No hope so........

Sickener :(

Does anybody know if i was sign up for a night time course in a college would i be intituled to get a year long student in US. I was told this was possible, i'd be surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Does anybody know if i was sign up for a night time course in a college would i be intituled to get a year long student in US. I was told this was possible, i'd be surprised.

No, it needs to be a full time course.

Could i just sign up for a full time course and use that then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Could i just sign up for a full time course and use that then.

In thoery yes, but I'm pretty sure you'd have to do your first year of college though. I doubt that a college would let you enroll, apply for a visa and then leave the country. Besides, USIT check for your registration with the colleges which wouldn't be official until you've paid your registration fees in september.

I am open for correction on this, I know that they've reformed the visa programs recently.

Just been looking around and was wondering if i would be allowed to get a B-2 tourist visa?

Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

You should be able to get a B-2 visa, but that doesn't help your situation as you aren't allowed to work in the US while visiting on a B-2.

• Advertisement
Advertisement