Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Birmingham vs. Manchester United (KO 20.00, SS1)

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I think people are being a bit harsh on Gibson. He set up the goal and was by no means the worst United player tonight.

Tonight though proves Gibson and Carrick can't play together as our central midfield. With Anderson playing a slightly more advanced role, we missed out on his energy deeper in the park. Carrick and Gibson don't hassle and harry in the way Ando does, and don't go on those box-to-box runs either.

They are too similar as players to play together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

killwill wrote: »
    What has he done in the last 2 seasons?
    I rest my case.
    Van Persie WAS a class, class player. Not anymore though. Chamakh ahead of him every day of the week IMO.

Eh van Persie had 9 goals and 7 assists in the 16 games he played in the league last season? Just because he's been injured and he didn't play well in an individual game you watched doesn't suddenly make him ****.

Not to detract from the topic at hand though, I am glad Birmingham managed to salvage something from this game. I hope Arsenal can capitalise tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Why is there a debate about Robin Van Persie in the Birmingham v Manchester United match thread? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

The reality of why that equalizer went in was the midfield of Utd was sucked backed and nobody moved to fill the hole.....

The ball was spread across a gaping midfield which allowed for a curling cross to come in.

Rooney needs dropping fast & Giggs is finished as a regular starter.

Massive game to lose two points in thats going to come back and bite us in the arse.

Away form must improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

ughness. Annoyed about the goal but these things come at you on the title race, and you need to have put away that second goal in order to ensure that they don't cost you. That's what champions do so no sense in blaming that.

Poor performance, but a point nonetheless. Still unbeaten. Need to beat West Ham and Stoke now, and put some daylight between us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Two games in hand and United are 6 points ahead! Would of taken that back in September after a woeful start. All is good:D

Am I missing something here? :confused:

Chelsea away and Blackpool away are a guaranteed 6 points you see :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Think he just means there is the potential to be 6 pts ahead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Chelsea away and Blackpool away are a guaranteed 6 points you see :cool:

I'd agree until I had a look at the table at the Away section of the results.

Wouldn't you:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Interesting to see how small this thread is.
    This would be a 50-pager if that decision had been reversed last night. The haters are surprisingly quiet. Must link them to this thread the next time we have to hear about Utd getting all the decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Think he just means there is the potential to be 6 pts ahead

Well by looking at the table currently, Arsenal are three points behind Man Utd after playing the same number of games, so I dont know where he was coming from with his two games in hand and a possible 6 points ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

#15 wrote: »
    Interesting to see how small this thread is.
    This would be a 50-pager if that decision had been reversed last night. The haters are surprisingly quiet. Must link them to this thread the next time we have to hear about Utd getting all the decisions.

There just isn't that much to discuss. A marginal decision went against United and it cost them 2 points. A few even harsher decisions have potentially cost Chelsea points recently and we were simply told to get over it, which we did. If you take your chances and finish teams off when you have the chance then these things wouldn't be as big an issue. United could have put the game to bed if Gibson had picked out Berbatov in the last few minutes but he didn't and ye paid the price, unlucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm late to the after party here but what complete bollocks was that at the end? 2 or 3 fouls in the build up to the goal?

Referees should be made to explain their decisions. They are a bunch of molly coddled, sensitive souls who should be thrown to the sharks when the occasion presents itself.

Essien wrote: »
    There just isn't that much to discuss. A marginal decision went against United and it cost them 2 points. A few even harsher decisions have potentially cost Chelsea points recently and we were simply told to get over it, which we did. If you take your chances and finish teams off when you have the chance then these things wouldn't be as big an issue. United could have put the game to bed if Gibson had picked out Berbatov in the last few minutes but he didn't and ye paid the price, unlucky.

I agree with you. I'm not complaining about the decision at all. These things happen, we need to get over it and move on quickly.
    Most Utd fans here haven't dwelled on the issue either.

But if it was the other way round, a select few would be having a massive inquest (not banter, actual conspiracy theory stuff) and trotting out the 'Utd always get the decisions' line. It's a regular feature of Utd match threads.

#15 wrote: »
    I agree with you. I'm not complaining about the decision at all. These things happen, we need to get over it and move on quickly.
    Most Utd fans here haven't dwelled on the issue either.

But if it was the other way round, a select few would be having a massive inquest (not banter, actual conspiracy theory stuff) and trotting out the 'Utd always get the decisions' line. It's a regular feature of Utd match threads.

Here's the difference though, if all the haters and ABU's and all the rest come into a thread and say United got a helping hand from the ref, there are more than enough United supporters here willing to argue that, this in turn leads to a thread being a 50 pager as you put it. When a relatively neutral team get the benefit of what I would say was a 50/50 decision*, nobody really cares that much and the United fans end up just having nobody to argue with.

*I say 50/50 in a "you win some you lose some" sense though I do think there was an unintentional handball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

marginal my freaking hole.

Philips offside when the ball was crossed in (shoved into Rio so certainly active), Zigic climbing on Rio, debatable free, and a clear freaking handball.

Yeah, certainly marginal...

marginal my freaking hole.

Philips offside when the ball was crossed in (shoved into Rio so certainly active), Zigic climbing on Rio, debatable free, and a clear freaking handball.

Yeah, certainly marginal...

Meh, unlucky

Essien wrote: »
    Here's the difference though, if all the haters and ABU's and all the rest come into a thread and say United got a helping hand from the ref, there are more than enough United supporters here willing to argue that, this in turn leads to a thread being a 50 pager as you put it. When a relatively neutral team get the benefit of what I would say was a 50/50 decision*, nobody really cares that much and the United fans end up just having nobody to argue with.

*I say 50/50 in a "you win some you lose some" sense though I do think there was an unintentional handball.

I see where you're coming from, and your point is reasonable.
    That's not what I'm talking about though.

I'm talking about the conspiracy theory stuff - Utd have the refs in their pocket, always get the decisions, etc. It's mostly confined to match threads, and there's only about 5 or 6 posters who actually believe it, so it might not be that obvious for all to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

We're six points ahead of our title contenders.

And we have two games in hand.

Fairly obvious what he was getting at.

Advertisement