Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Patches for heat detection in cows?

• 28-12-2010 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Was thinking of trying the patches for cows to detect heat. Has anyone used them and are they any good? Where can they be purchased?
    would appreciate any feedback.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Was thinking of trying the patches for cows to detect heat. Has anyone used them and are they any good? Where can they be purchased?

ya used them, not big into ai now so some of the lads here would better tell you but have found them a help, used kamar strips, can buy in kerry store or farmrite.co.uk, use gloves when applying them as the glue is messy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

violet nevin in mullingar area is the person to talk to , shes the agent in ireland for them , shes also an A.I technician

hell of a lady , only problem is , i think she spends half the year inseminating cows in australia or NZ :eek:

ring progressive genetics for her number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

if you arent in violets area PG can supply them. eastrotect they're called. All the AI companys should be able to supply some form of pactch weather it be the kamar type of scratch card type

from my experience of the eastrotect, if a cow has long hir you may need to clip it to keep the patch on when see's mounted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I used a pack of the scratch card type a few years ago and found them a little bit fiddly. No problem sticking them on but I found myself scratching my head when I seen a scratch or two and wondering how it got there!
    A heifer mad bulling I found easy enough but the silent sneaky types were a nigthmare.
    I found a heifer bulling strong will sometimes attempt to mount other heifers not bulling and mark, to some extent the scratch card.
    So I found the just confused the situation, for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Pacoa

I used the estrotech ones this year. Didn't like them so im going back to the kamars for next year.

Would farmrite be competitive??

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

Thanks for all the info. will see how I get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Can anyone explain how these patches work? Im very intrested to know and it might make things easier detecting cows in heat instead of checking the feckers 3 or 4 times and day. I feel like a bloody detective in the summer months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

Can anyone explain how these patches work? Im very intrested to know and it might make things easier detecting cows in heat instead of checking the feckers 3 or 4 times and day. I feel like a bloody detective in the summer months
    the kamar works like, a little capsule or something like it breaks or releases the red ink when pressure is applied for a couple of secs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

ive used a few of the heat detection aides an came back to the conclusion that tail painting is the most effective, easiest, and cheapest.
    find the tail paint sticks the best, as they can be kept down the front of the apron while milking, or just left in handy places around the yards, where ever you are dealing with bulling cows.
    then again every one to their own.

kamars were a disaster when the cows were in cubicles as they kept getting partly set off when the cow would lie against a bar of the cubicle. and it was hard to distinguish one set off from bulling or from a knock.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

i have the heat time system ... i find it brilliant , i know it is expensive but it picks up alot of silent heats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

thanks for the replys

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

you are doing it right!3-4 observations plus tail paint is the most successful method apart from the bull

whelan1 wrote: »
    i have the heat time system ... i find it brilliant , i know it is expensive but it picks up alot of silent heats

it seems like a good system.

I know a sucklewr man out west that uses it. he made two walls beside the drinker so cows can only go one at a time and set up the reader unit there. He's all autumn calving so works well for him when they,re inside. except for one december calver they all calved in sept/oct this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭John_F

whelan1 wrote: »

does the heat time compare activity with the rest of the herd? just if the cows were walking to furthest paddock would it show up high activity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

i find it a bit dodgy when the cows are going to the furthest fields , but i normally have a bull in with the cows then , also small cows who have to walk more get picked out alot:rolleyes: it really comes in to its own atthis time of year , it picks up alot of cows that i wouldn't have seen in heat, also i can use the drafting gate to pick out cows for scanning /hoofcare etc

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Chiliroses

Hey I'm new to this rigmarole! And I know this was posted ages ago but sure its coming in to that time of year again, my uncle uses a couple of different ones from a company on the net called magenta direct.ie hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Poor Farmer in the hills

Use ambic alert self adhesive patches from Gregg agri care. cost about two euro each . How does this compare with the price of other patches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Use ambic alert self adhesive patches from Gregg agri care. cost about two euro each . How does this compare with the price of other patches

I think the ones i got are similar to Kamar ie a red capsule within a pouch that should burst when pressure applied when mounted, mine were E2.75 sold singularly in NCF CO-OP Ballinrobe, only tried 2 for the crack, injected a heifer Sat evening with estrumate and put one on but no sign of anything mounting her yet.. thats 4 days now.. day 11 she should get another shot if she not bulling right?!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭SoJoMo

Ambic Alert Heat Patches (just like the Kamar ones I reckon)
    40 for €70 plus 6.50 P+P(next day delivery)
    from
    http://magentadirect.ie/proddetail.php?prod=SMDH0055&cat=26

I've not used Heat detection patches before so it will be interesting to see how they work out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Chiliroses

SoJoMo wrote: »
    Ambic Alert Heat Patches (just like the Kamar ones I reckon)
    40 for €70 plus 6.50 P+P(next day delivery)
    from
    http://magentadirect.ie/proddetail.php?prod=SMDH0055&cat=26

I've not used Heat detection patches before so it will be interesting to see how they work out

Yeah thats it, they work well for my uncle anyway, they're very handy for heifers as they can be left on for a couple of weeks, whereas tail paint has to be applied every couple of days.

Advertisement