Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sky dish repair

Options
  • 28-12-2010 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭

Guys does anyone know anybody local who can repair sky dishes? Snow falling has pulled out a cable on the lnb so now no signal and its 100 call out charge with sky!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭jonnygee

Local to where exactly?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

The letterkenny area...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

If you can reach the dish (with steps or ladder) just go up and reconnect it, if you can make the aerial cable connect to the metal fitting to make the cable go to the back of your tv ect you can reconnect the one at the back of the sky dish ;)

If you can reach the dish (with steps or ladder) just go up and reconnect it, if you can make the aerial cable connect to the metal fitting to make the cable go to the back of your tv ect you can reconnect the one at the back of the sky dish ;)

I've tried that already and will try again 2moro but still isnt working.....its not the small fitting that has come out, its the wire from within that if you kno what i mean....

Have a look at this. (mmm dont worry too much about the grease, but i didnt say that)
    www.satcure.co.uk/tech/fconn.htm

• Advertisement

I've tried that already and will try again 2moro but still isnt working.....its not the small fitting that has come out, its the wire from within that if you kno what i mean....

Just to be clear, this small fitting that you mention is the f plug. this screws off the lnb, use pointed pliers if it is tight.
    connect this f plug as described by satcure to the cable and screw the f plug back onto the lnb. Inner and outer wires must not touch
    100 euro saved.
    When you get it working try to seal the connection to keep out the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

hi mate,
    if you can wait till next tuesday i will fix it FOC.
    pm me a mobile number incase i have to go before then.
    theblueirish

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭mistermouse

Thats such a simple repair it will seem to easy, screw off the f-connector ( the silver bit that connects the cable and screws onto the lnb)

Put back onto the cable, taking care to not have the external wire sheething make contact with the main internal cable. This is a bit like an earth but more for keeping other signals out. If it does make contact, it will not electricute you etc, but will result in bad picture or possibly none at all. Its insulation as such,. Then when you have replaced the cable into the connector, crimp with pliers or similiar to avoid happening again and re-screw into the lnb.

If you are stuck or worried, I'm in Letterkenny and will do for you FOC too so long as its not at serious heights.

People do get the impression these things are more complicated than they are and companies charge on that basis, in reality, not only is it simple but very safe if its not too high or the appliances attached not completely wrongly wired, and that would be unlikely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

I have to say fair play lads for offering to do it FOC, not many other places would people offer this :)

Guys got it sorted, many thanks for the help and offers. It was a pain because of the positioning and the cable is now secured in the lnb......unfortunate thing is i was looking forward to a good match watchin liverpool 2nite :rolleyes: Thanks again!!

• Advertisement

The dish is an easy fix, unfortunatly Liverpool is,nt.
    Beaten by Wolves, unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

jonnygee wrote: »
    The dish is an easy fix, unfortunatly Liverpool is,nt.
    Beaten by Wolves, unbelievable.

sigh i know still at least you didn't have to hand over your wallet for someone to come out before you seen the match

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Guys got it sorted, many thanks for the help and offers. It was a pain because of the positioning and the cable is now secured in the lnb......unfortunate thing is i was looking forward to a good match watchin liverpool 2nite :rolleyes: Thanks again!!

Must be a Wolves fan so eh?;)

Advertisement