Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat got into a fight

• 28-12-2010 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

My cat Ally, who's 2, got into a fight this morning with another cat in our front garden. She came in a bit bloody (small bit) and walked with a limp in her front paw. I'm already after telling my parents she needs to see a vet as the limp seems serious enough (she can barely walk on it), but they keep saying she'll be grand, cats always get into fights etc. etc. :mad: Poor cat looks really sad and in pain, contemplating just taking her myself to the vet tomorrow. Do you think I should take her or just leave her be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

keep an eye on her.

This stuff can get infected very easily as happened my cat and be very problematic.

Not easy getting a vet. before early next week.

See if she is losing weight, not eating, not grooming and if so would suggest vet job.

best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

If she is limping on it tomorrow I'd bring her to the vet. I had a cat with a veeeery slight limp going to bed, with a small little pinhole of a cut. By the next morning her paw under the pinhole was swollen to twice the size.

She had apparently been injured days before by (most likely) another cat. And over the few days it turned into an abcess. She needed a course of antibiotics and soaking the leg. This would have happened in a few mins as she spends hardly any time outside at all, and other cats rarely come into our garden as we also have a dog. You think you're protecting them, but something like that can happen so quickly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

When cats get bitten/scratched by other cats they really commonly develop infections or abscesses at the site of the injury, as cats claws have a lot of bacteria on them that gets embedded into the cut. It's usually better to sort these things out quickly before something like an abscess develops, because these can be expensive to treat!

Also, most cats very rarely show pain, even when they have something very painful going on - so if your cat is already looking off form and obviously limping, it is even more important to go to the vet!

P.S. don't worry that it's christmas week. Your local practice should have a vet on call, and if not they'll be able to point you to a practice where a vet is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Yeah bring if its still limping then go to vet tomorrow, my guy used to get in fights alot!!! And usually when he was limping it was because he lost a claw in the fight. That can be quite serious,he needed it to be soldered once,the next time it was the outside claw and if that gets infected badly it can cause major complications. My aunts cat lost its foot due to this. In my experience its better to get it looked at.

Not to frighten you though, cats do end up with all sort of nicks and scratches:) And my guy is a bit viscous:o

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Hi OP

Definitely bring her to the vet. Cat bites can be very very nasty, I've seen it and I was also bitten by a cat a few months back. I was on 2 different antibiotics to prevent infection. Go the vet tomorrow and they'll clean the wound and will more than likely give you some tablets for her.

Good luck. :) Hope kitty is ok :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Thanks for the advice everyone. :) She's much brighter today, barely even walking with a limp. Just got a bit worried :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

First aid often helps; hold the paw/leg in warm salt water several times a day or bathe it with cotton wool dipped in salt water. It can save a visit to the vet. ( we have lived decades many miles from any vet and have learned to care and heal in simple ways)

The salt water works for dogs feet and legs too. It keeps the wound open enough to prevent infection taking a hold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

There are some great tips on cat forums about first aid.

I'd be inclined to get the cat tested as well.

Advertisement