Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queen Elizabeth to pay us a visit in 2011??

Options
  • 28-12-2010 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭

I don't think anybody has started a thread on this topic so here it goes;
    http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/British-Ambassador-not-ruling-out.6457048.jp

I think there have more recent articles in the People fueling speculation that Kilkenny may be part of any Royal visit in 2011. I think it would/will be fantastic for raising the profile of KIlkenny as one of Ireland's premier places to visit. The last Royal visit was in 1904 and I believe it was a big affair locally. Where would she go? Obviously the Castle and probably St. Canices Cathedral.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

mfitzy wrote: »
    I don't think anybody has started a thread on this topic so here it goes;
    http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/British-Ambassador-not-ruling-out.6457048.jp

I think there have more recent articles in the People fueling speculation that Kilkenny may be part of any Royal visit in 2011. I think it would/will be fantastic for raising the profile of KIlkenny as one of Ireland's premier places to visit. The last Royal visit was in 1904 and I believe it was a big affair locally. Where would she go? Obviously the Castle and probably St. Canices Cathedral.
    She could also visit St. Canices mental hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 BambooBob

Tourism is KK's main source of income since we don't have much in the way of industry. A visit by the Queen or Prince Charles would generate the kind of publicity you could only dream of and could never buy. There every move would be on Sky News which is broadcast around the world. I imagine they would visit the Castle and St Canice's Cathedral and possibly County Hall given its former role as KK College and famous past pupils etc.

Imagine Tutsy and Pat 'the shepard' Clowery on sky news. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Plug wrote: »
    Pat 'the shepard' Clowery

Is the he guy with the ratty looking dog?

Is the he guy with the ratty looking dog?
    yeah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

The dog looks like a man in a dog suit.

Personally, anything combining the Queen and Tootsie would be anyone's must see list for 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭odin_ie

The Queens visit will be the most expensive trip over seas ever for a royal, it only cost her government €7 Billion!!!

Seriously though, it will be a great thing for Kilkenny, hopefully the Shinners don't try and make some sort of statement at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

odin_ie wrote: »
    The Queens visit will be the most expensive trip over seas ever for a royal, it only cost her government €7 Billion!!!

Seriously though, it will be a great thing for Kilkenny, hopefully the Shinners don't try and make some sort of statement at it.

In an act of friendship Sinn Fein have gave her a free boat trip off the coast of Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

odin_ie wrote: »

You surely mean 7 Million?? It couldn't be that much, that would put a nice hole in our national debt!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭odin_ie

I am referring to the €7 Billion "loan" that the British government are giving us as part of the IMF deal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

For Kilkenny tourism it would be great. Britain is next door and short hop visitors would see Kilkenny as a good destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kkmick

I can't see how it will be good for tourism as if the Queen does visit it will surely be met with protest's everywhere she goes! Maybe that's what they are looking for though?
    Just like the love ulster parade. That was just a guaranteed riot and the orange order knew it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

You just know that skangers are going to use this as an excuse to throw fireworks at Gardai and loot their teenage spouses jewelry from Elizabeth Duke.

Most people either don't care about this visit (or else are mildly interested, like me) and the vast majority of people who are opposed to it on principle air their grievances in a fairly harmless way.

So yeah, it's skangers, basically. Like this guy:

No+to+Foreign+Games+RSF+style.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭t63m

we'll need to make high st one way again!

I wouldn't worry about protesters; have you ever seen a corgi fight, vicious things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭geespot

just wondering is there anywhere you could get a clear head shot

geespot wrote: »
    just wondering is there anywhere you could get a clear head shot

The Ormonde carpark would probably be best for a townhall shot anyway!

I wonder what the MI6 personnel who are checking out this visit will think of this thread? LOL

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

t63m wrote: »
    we'll need to make high st one way again!

Do you reckon we could get her to cut the ribbon on the new Aldi? Her family being German and all.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

kkmick wrote: »
    I wonder what the MI6 personnel who are checking out this visit will think of this thread? LOL
    Nothing new I'd imagine. The whole world got a good glimpse of how backward this societies values are with the bank bailout; banks before people. To get upset about an old lady with with a mere ceremonial title visiting just shows how unconfident people are of their own republic. If we had a strong national identity then a visit by the Queen would not be an issue. The norwegian king visited and I don't remember any talk of head shots.

These protesters make me wonder if this republic and it's constitution are meaningless, to them it would seem so.

catbear wrote: »
    Nothing new I'd imagine. The whole world got a good glimpse of how backward this societies values are with the bank bailout; banks before people. To get upset about an old lady with with a mere ceremonial title visiting just shows how unconfident people are of their own republic. If we had a strong national identity then a visit by the Queen would not be an issue. The norwegian king visited and I don't remember any talk of head shots.

These protesters make me wonder if this republic and it's constitution are meaningless, to them it would seem so.

I have never seen a post with as many different issues in it!!
    I don't know where to start with a reply!

• Advertisement

Simple, just start with the first issue and proceed.

catbear wrote: »

Much to drink?:p

I prefer to enjoy drink rather than abuse it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I think it would be great for Kilkenny if the Queen did pay us a visit.

If Obama was to visit too, just imagine how good that would be for tourism.

Advertisement