Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is a resonable amount of pocket money

Options
  • 28-12-2010 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Looking for some guidance here.

We have a 19 year old daughter at university. She is living at home. We are trying to decide how much pocket money to give her. What she will not have to pay for out of this money is books for college, fees for college, meals at home, "basic clothes", a coat for the winter, sensible shoes etc.

What she will have to pay for is meals at college, "party clothes", nights out, tickets for concerts and that type of thing.

How much per week would you suggest?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I've moved this post to a thread of it's own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

My parents put like 180 into my account every 6 months or so and then I babysit for the rest.

Maybe €20 a week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

That sounds very fair, and also fair play to you for doing something to help yourself. It's good to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

sure lunch can cost €5/6 so that by 5 days. I think €30 would be fairer

bulmersgal wrote: »
    sure lunch can cost €5/6 so that by 5 days. I think €30 would be fairer

There's no reason lunch should cost 5/6€ a day if it's home made and brought to college. Especially if there are warming facilities at the college you could bring things like pastas, left over dinners, pizza etc.

If you're paying for transport to and from college seperately I think €25 a week would be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

i went to dit and there was no warming facilities. You can bring in stuff but everybody else goes out, most places its nearly €5 for a sandwhich and a tea. Also you have to consider she'll have to buy mid morning snacks out of money too.

Even with €30 she wouldn't have much money for ""party clothes", nights out, tickets for concerts and that type of thing. "

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Imbatman

There's no reason lunch should cost 5/6€ a day if it's home made and brought to college. Especially if there are warming facilities at the college you could bring things like pastas, left over dinners, pizza etc.

If you're paying for transport to and from college seperately I think €25 a week would be fine.

exactly..in moylish l.i.t its four euros for a sandwich and 2.50 for a single slice of pizza,myself and the other mature students get a laugh out of how much the younger lads waste on lunches 5 days a week,we averaged it out to between 1800 and 2100 a year,no wonder they are always broke.i make mine at home and hate even giving them the scandalous 1.40 they charge for tea.Give your daughter 25 euro a week and tell her its up to her to make it last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I get 25-30 quid a week, with that I get the bus to Dublin on a monday, buy food and cook it(I stay in my grandads during the week) and go out twice a week, although I dont get taxis, and drink little, and get the bus home on a friday/saturday. I just about get by.

My parents pay for books and other 1 off things, I raid my savings for the rest. I pay 9.99 a month for mobile broadband out of my pocket too. Tell her to feck off with her party clothes, I am sure she has plenty. You are paying enough already.

EDIT: The parents give me the money for generally keeping an eye on my 90yo grandfather and to give him some general help around the house, although he can do most things himself, basically consists of changing light-bulbs, bleeding radiators, nipping to the shop for him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

pauljw11 wrote: »
    How much per week would you suggest?
    I can't see how she could not earn 100 euro herself working in a supermarket or the likes. After that then a hundred or two every few months (maybe 6 months) as a top up to be used for bigger items - clothes etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

well, whatever you can afford really. it'd be great if she could get a part time job but realistically this may not be possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Pocket money for a 19 year old in college?
    Tbh I am staggered by the idea, tell her to get a part time job.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Thaedydal wrote: »

I was thinking the same. I worked my way through college living away from home. I would hope to help my son with tuition etc when it comes to it but there's no way I'll be giving him drinking and shopping money.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would have said they can get a job but at the moment even part time jobs are not as plentiful as they once were so is not always possible.
    I think 100 euro lodged to their account every month is plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'd say €25-30 a week is loads. Buying your lunch everyday in a canteen is ridiculous. My younger brother is in 2nd year and being subsidised by my parents and even he has realised that he needs to bring a packed lunch to keep spending to a minimum. Hell, I work in an office and earn a decent wage and bring my lunch in 4 days out of 5.

Set the weekly allowance and let your daughter budget and manage it. Ideally she should get a part time job but there's not so many of them anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Kunle

€70 per week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Kunle wrote: »
    €70 per week
    You would be the daughter yeah?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

If she could get a part time job it'd be great. I had one for two years but had to quit as stress and tiredness was affecting my studies. Wasn't worth it, so make sure she has enough time to have a job!
    Now I'm getting about €30 to €40 a week from my parents. Goes mostly on the weekend and canteen food (longs days in college, no heating methods on campus, can't cope with just a sambo!). They pay for my monthly bus tickets, books, necessary clothing (coats, shoes etc for the weather).

• Registered Users Posts: 30 pauljw11

Original poster back again--To cut a long story short she built up some debts before she went to college that she is paying back from what she is earning from a part time job--this is a long story and is something that happened that should not have but it can't be undone. We don't want her to do too much part time work and not have any time energy left for her studies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Worked Saturday and Sunday and the odd week day all through college. If part-time work affects your studies, you can work weekends.

No harm imo to top up what your kids earn themselves if you can afford it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I remember my mother commenting on this. Reasonable is as much as you have to give... Sounds stupid but it was true, Up until i was 18 i survived on 1.80 per week. Then i went to collage brought me own lunch and needed 30 pound per week. That was 20 years ago.

My mother also commented how girls needed more money than boys because the are more fashion aware. I think the real truth is my mother was afraid my sister would be caught without contraception or time of month stuff...

• Advertisement

pauljw11 wrote: »
    Original poster back again--To cut a long story short she built up some debts before she went to college that she is paying back from what she is earning from a part time job--this is a long story and is something that happened that should not have but it can't be undone. We don't want her to do too much part time work and not have any time energy left for her studies.

To be honest this is why I would give her less money than usual, €30 a week should do it, your daughter needs to learn to budget and she won't do that if you're handing her money hand over fist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Kalimah

Holy God lads. I'm giving my 21 year old 300 a month and I've heard of parents giving kids 500 a month. He pays for all transport,food in college, books etc. Transport to and from college is 20 euro a week before you do anything else. I'll have another in college next year so I'll have to rethink that figure. I'd tell him to get a part time job but his course hours are more or less 9 to 6 five days a week and there are assignments on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

What does she do around the house to EARN pocket money? If it is for frivolous items it should be earned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ATMW

Kalimah wrote: »
    Holy God lads. I'm giving my 21 year old 300 a month and I've heard of parents giving kids 500 a month. He pays for all transport,food in college, books etc. Transport to and from college is 20 euro a week before you do anything else. I'll have another in college next year so I'll have to rethink that figure. I'd tell him to get a part time job but his course hours are more or less 9 to 6 five days a week and there are assignments on top of that.

I have just finished doing a degree as a mature student--you are talking about a minimum of 300 euro a month if you are realistic about it. As Kalimah says if you have to pay for transport this will probably clock up 20 euro a week unless you are lucky to live very close to the college, one cup of coffee a day would hardly be extravagant, but this will clock up 10-15 euro. It is also unrealistic to expect 19 year olds to live like nuns, they need the odd night out. I know several people who have kids in college and they say "I give them 30 euro a week" but they often bung them another 20 euro when they are going out, frequently lend them their car, buy their clothes for them etc. A lot depends on how much in the way of clothes, shoes, transport etc. you expect the student to pay for.

Ideally this can be wholly or partly earned by part time jobs, but there are very few part-time jobs about these days compared to a few years back, and employers are not near as willing to offer flexible hours to tie in with college commitments as they were a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

I agree with other posters that it is not up to you to fund her clothes, concerts or nights out. That's what part-time jobs are for. 3rd level students get 3 months off for the summer so even if she doesn't have time for a job during term-time she should be saving every summer for the year ahead.

I was very lucky that my parents were able to support me financially through college. I lived away from home and got €70 a week, so that was for bills, food, transport, books etc. I started working at 16 and always earned the money for clothes, holidays etc myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

I had 2 daughters in college at the same time...one was living at home and the other with her gran. Daughter at home did get a part-time job but had to give it up because of her college course pocket money €100 per week... this paid for everything bus ticket clothes, books etc. Daughter living with gran had a part-time job and gave her nothing for the first year and then I had a funny moment cos she had worked her way through secondary school as well and felt she should also get €100 per week. Anyway to make a long story short daughter who lived with gran got work with civil service every summer and had to do a year abroad as part of her degree and that was funded by us as was part of her pgce year in Uk (she did get a grant from uk government). Daughter at home is still at home and is doing a Ph.d and is now in a position to pay for her keep €50 per week so at the end of the day its all about what you can afford. We were lucky that we could afford to keep our daughters while in college. They have been warned that a good nursing home costs a lot... but equally they have also promised to assist us if we need to got abroad to terminate our lives if we feel our quality of life is terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I'm living at college away from home and on grants so I'm not exactly in the same boat, but i think 20-30 a week is unrealistic. It depends really, but if you give her that, she is going to have to come back to you for leisure money. I have friends who live on that kind of money, and I am forever giving them a euro or two here and there telling them to get a bag of crisps or something! I am by no means one of the extravagant ones - on the other side of the scale I have friends who eat big dinners in college and by in expensive clothes shops and still have money to go out at least once a week, which is all well and good if you can afford it I suppose. As somebody said, she's going to spend about 20 quid or so on travel alone. To be honest, I wouldn't push her into a part time job - it can be hard. I work Sundays and while I am driven to get out of bed on a Sunday because of the money, I do find it hard going - I don't have any me time, because I spend Monday to Friday in college and then Saturday is taken up with assignments and then trying to get in a few hours with the boyfriend. I really miss having a bit of time for myself, for my sanity!
    I take care of my own finances now, but in first year I gave my grant money to my parents and they gave me weekly allowance of 70€ and out of that I fed myself for the week - breakfast, lunch and dinner - as well as having money for (cheap) nights out and buying the clothes I needed. Since she's living at home, I'd say give her 50 - that way she'll learn to budget without having to watch every cent, and she should still be able to save a bit, so further down the line she'll have money to cover herself for whatever without going back to you for more.
    It's worth noting that her expenditure will go up and down - she might spend more on going out around Rag week etc, which I suppose you should tell her to save her pocket money for, but then closer to exams she'll need more as she'll be putting in longer days on campus studying and may need to buy two meals and/or snacks in college.
    And of course there are some things you should encourage her to do to save money on the simple things - like taking a bottle of water or ribena and some fruit and snacks or whatever from home, as that itself saves quite a bit in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Thaedydal wrote: »

It depends entirely on what course she's doing, what the work load is like, how much time she has free and how responsible she is.

If she's likely to be working hard in college and not have much time off I'd be inclined to give her as much as I could reasonably afford. On the other hand, the fact that "party clothes" are something she seems to be expecting her parents to pay for perhaps she's not quite there yet. I had a decent part time job during college but my course was not hugely time intensive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I think 20-30 a week is more than fair - it's just 'pocket money' after all. I think you're already playing your part by giving her a home, meals, paying for books etc as you said.
    Let her learn to budget out the money she gets from the job so that she can afford to go out now and then.
    Between study and the job she wont have a whole lot of free partying time anyway.

In my experience a lot of teenagers expect, and often get, way too much from their parents. They need to learn how to handle & juggle money by themselves and not depend on their folks to do it for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Zillah wrote: »
    It depends entirely on what course she's doing, what the work load is like, how much time she has free and how responsible she is.

I did electronic engineering in college away from home, between lectures, tutorials and lab work I was doing 30 + hours a week and I worked at the weekends doing two 12 hour shifts, that paid for my weekly expenses, rent, food, 'pocket money' I did get a grant and that when it was paid out covered books and clothes. I worked every holiday break and over the summer and even took year out to work and then save so that when I went back for the final semester I didn't work at all but just studied.

There are jobs out there, just a lot of students won't lower themselves to do those types of jobs.

Advertisement