Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hours of study??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Dropped from HL to OL Maths so loving it :D
    Business and Geog a lot of learning but if you know the stuff and are capable of expanding on it, you do do pretty well in it.
    Dont do Engineering and hated Metalwork for JC despite doing quite well in it, so cant relate :P

Done more study this week than I have since September I reckon.
    Threw a plan together and go for broke...
    Going pretty well so far, tough going though :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Ian_K

We had our pre-debs friday night so needless to say this weekend was a write-off in terms of study unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

Wake-Up; 7.00 AM
    Go to school; 8.00 AM
    Finish school; 3.30 PM
    After school study;3:45-6:00 PM
    Food; 6:00- 6:30 PM
    Evening Study;6;30-8:00 PM
    Break; 8:00 - 8;20 PM
    Night Study; 8:20- 10:20 PM
    Go home;10:30 PM
    Go for run on treadmill; 10:40-11:20 PM
    Go to Bed;12:00 AM
    Get up & start all over again Monday- Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭sh1tin-a-brick

DaveMur1 wrote: »
    Wake-Up; 7.00 AM
    Go to school; 8.00 AM
    Finish school; 3.30 PM

HOW?!?! Are you superman?! :p only 8hrs sleep and apparently no hobby/interest apart from a bit of a run. Fair play to ya but thats mad! I could never do that much, I need rest to function :L

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Wake-Up; 7.00 AM
    Go to school; 8.00 AM
    Finish school; 3.30 PM

Are they all arranged by your school? We only have study from 4:00 until 6:00 every day. After that we have to do our own at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

I have the weekends to do whatever I like,it's nice to have two whole days off,and at the same time not to be worrying about not doing enough studying. The way im looking at it is it's six months of torture rather than having to repeat & do an extra year!
    My school offers the after school study & the evening study but then there's an education centre across the road in conjunction with the school offer the night study.The school itself has a restaurant which offers food at break times & there's also a gym!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Gonna do 2 hours of study per day starting tomorrow. LOL FML :pac: I'm gonna die. Getting myself to do 10minutes is a challenge in itself :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭musicloverx

Done more study this week than I have since September I reckon.
    Threw a plan together and go for broke...
    Going pretty well so far, tough going though :-/

yea could say the same, didnt do enough atall last year but going for it now,.you do a study plan is it?..I'd want to do something like that, so I'd stick to it and get the work done:rolleyes:

Gonna be tough going for the next few months.,but then freedom;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

Ian_K wrote: »
    We had our pre-debs friday night so needless to say this weekend was a write-off in terms of study unfortunately
    pre Debs, wtf is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Alright-ish to stick to :)
    Found it in this thread I'm sure.

Mon-Thur = 1 hr morning study 8-9
    2hrs after school study 4-6
    Homework at home and try and get an hour of study in too.
    Friday = Morning study 8-9 relax in evening, maybe do a bit of homework
    Saturday = Intense study day, split up subjects and do them in bitesize chunks. I make myself a To Do list and work off that.
    Sunday = Free Day

Free ya :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Dougal.Maguire

My school offers the after school study & the evening study but then there's an education centre across the road in conjunction with the school offer the night study.The school itself has a restaurant which offers food at break times & there's also a gym!
    what school do you go to do you mind me asking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 chair

you only need 2hrs max a night, do your homework and revise what was covered that day/week. Do a bit extra sat and sun mornings. Anything more is pointless, it's not that big a deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

The trouble with these threads is sorting out the genuine responses from the exaggerated responses and the malicious misleading responses.

Just do what suits you and what you think you need to do. If you're capable of acing everything sans any study then more power to you. If you need to do eight hours a day to get 100 then that's what you need to do. Don't benchmark yourself against other people in terms of hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 the_wests_awake

lads never mind other people on here basically boasting about how much study they do (which would probably worry some people thinking they dont do enough) do what makes you happy.. and keep smiling ;) simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭RovinPirate

Hey! I just wanted to mention to those of you NOT studying at this stage and hoping to get 400+ points.. YOUR FOOLS!
    I have personal experiance here!! Im repeating my leaving cert, and let me tell you repeating is absolute hell. I got 415 points, without studying at all, but what is sickening is i was 15 points off of what i wanted.. I managed to get an A1 in honours biology!! but probably only because i find that subject intresting (even though i want to go into langauges!!)
    so put a little effort in now, or youll end up doing it all next year again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Hey! I just wanted to mention to those of you NOT studying at this stage and hoping to get 400+ points.. YOUR FOOLS!
    I have personal experiance here!! Im repeating my leaving cert, and let me tell you repeating is absolute hell. I got 415 points, without studying at all, but what is sickening is i was 15 points off of what i wanted.. I managed to get an A1 in honours biology!! but probably only because i find that subject intresting (even though i want to go into langauges!!)
    so put a little effort in now, or youll end up doing it all next year again

What if we are planning to study now in the run up to your mocks. I need over 400 and have done a bit here and there before Christmas. By your own admittance you got " 415 without studying at all ". I think your direction of " FOOLS " should not be aimed at the general consensus of this board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 rage against the leaving

The amount of study you need to do depends on three things :

1. The amount of points you want. It goes without saying you need to do a lot of study to get 500+.

2. The quality of your study. Some people can do one hour of intense, well though out study and learn the same as someone half doing 4 hrs.

3. Your personal intellect and the subjects you do. Chemistry, Maths etc are difficult for a lot of people and may require a lot of hard study. Some people have a natural flair for Business or Biology and can coast through with very little study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Maher08

I started to study for 6 of my 7 subjects with under 2 months to go, I chipped away at HL Irish for longer. I got 425 points and with an extra 2 weeks, I could have easily got an extra 50 points.

Mocks are given in order to see were you are now with your studies. Dont take them too seriously as there made to give you a kick up the backside if your doing nothing what so ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭RovinPirate

SDTimeout wrote: »
    done a bit here and there before Christmas. /QUOTE]

I was talking about those that say, "i havent studied at all" and still think its going to be all good, even if your doing a bit your keeping fresh, I also took 8 subjects for my leaving cert, while i didnt study i did put alot of work into my projects and paid attention in class along with almost perfect attendance (i missed 3 days of school) so the fools part wasnt directed at the majority, just the minority

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭mangled

monday-friday
    7am wake up,food,shower,brush teeth etc,
    7.30am study
    9am lift to school
    9.20am- 4pm school
    4.30pm study club
    7pm home(dinner,tv,etc)
    9pm study
    11pm sleep
    friday i go out nd get wasted

at the weekend i study from 12pm til 6pm with breaks every hour for 15mins. the rest of the time i do feck all. Have to have sky sports on on a saturday aswell to keep my eye on scores:D

I forgot to mention, i have a sneaky joint or 2 every mornin and a few more in the evening. helps me relax and study better! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

mangled wrote: »
    [
    friday i go out nd get wasted

at the weekend i study from 12pm til 6pm

How can you study from 12 to 6 after gettin' ''wasted''? If go for a proper session I cant move the next day never mind do 6 hours study.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭mangled

because im class and ur not. simple fact of life:D, jokin aside....use lifeline tablets. They work so well! u wouldn't even know u had a drink the night b4 except for the taste in ur mouth

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MissBrightside

Did the leaving last year and got exactly what I wanted. I never thought I was doing enough study, because, well I wasn't really studying. My advice to anyone is do your homework and do it really well. Work hard for any test you have. Work for the mocks but don't burn yourself out and keep up with homework. This is what I did and have to say it worked out extremely well. Don't study random aspects of subjects instead of doing your homework...you'll just fall behind. Sorry for going on about homework so much...I just think it's under-rated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I do about 20 mins of study in total after my homework, and its not really learning things its just reading over a chapter in history maybe to try get the jist of it until I forget about it again. I'm aiming for no points but I reckon Ill get about 190 at most. Just want to pass everything at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭musicloverx

by the time i do my homework/exam questions and that I don't have time for getting much study in I've noticed, I need to do up a timetable to fit study in and start working quicker on homework I think, aiming for psychology but thats looking more unlikey each day, mocks will be a good realisation of what needs to be done:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Cut out the drink & drugs talk guys....... this is not the place for that tbh....

Not impressing anyone either :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

I haven't started studying yet :( i'm sucha gimp. And everyday I don't, I'm just sitting there moping about how I'm not studying. Ugh! The guilt of it all..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 rstax

Well I spend about 6hours every evenin during the week just doing written homework!.. AND the teachers expect us to studying on top of that.. It's more at weekends... Mentally exhausted after that-english essays stop making sense, and spell simple words awfully! So, in short, I am doing zero study these days.. Hoping for high 400s points wise, But we shall see :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I haven't started studying yet :( i'm sucha gimp. And everyday I don't, I'm just sitting there moping about how I'm not studying. Ugh! The guilt of it all..

Don't sweat it. Pay attention to your homework and you'll be learning as well as doing

Also, after seeing the posts up there, I don't think many teachers put enough importance on positivity and motivation. Make sure you do have something like an out of school activity to unwind with. Have a healthy diet and sleep well . Basically, before worrying about your grand 8 hour a night routine, make sure you're mentally prepared and geared up for it all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Ok so our school is doing Wuthering Heights as our main text and then using The Kite Runner, Hamlet and Billy Elliot in our Comparative. I went to a revision course at Christmas and the teacher guy basically told us it was mad doing WH as our stand alone text and that we should swap it to Hamlet now :o
    But surely its too late to change now isn't it?
    Seriously confused :(

Advertisement