Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking and Ram Disapearing

• 28-12-2010 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hey guys, im pretty new to overclocking and I'm having an issue that I'm hoping someone can shed some light on. I'm using an Intel i7 950 with an MSI X58 pro-E, 6GB of DDR3 ram (3x2gb sticks) and a Corsair A-50 CPU cooler. When I overclock the cpu frequency to 155 (roughly 3.5ghz) everything works great but when I go to 166 (roughly 3.8ghz) my system only see's 4gb of ram. Temps remain cool and system appears stable so I dont know why this is happening. Anybody have any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Sounds like the CPU's integrated memory controller is unstable at that speed/voltage. Try upping the voltage a little and seeing what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭fuzztone

Okay, I've up'd it to 170 (3.9ghz) and all 6gb are showing :) I'll see how stable this runs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

3.9 sounds nice. but you can go higher!

3.9 sounds nice. but you can go higher!

I would love too but I'm having issues. I currently have it sitting at 3.5GHz @ 155 which is completely stable. Between 156 and 170 2gb of ram disappears. Between 170-180 my PC appears fine with my normal use but Prime95 and OCCT crash within seconds of running which doesn't happen at 155, and at 180+ Windows wont go beyond the startup screen. I wouldnt mind but my CPU temps @ 179 never went above 64° during a normal days use which including some gaming and some cpu intensive audio production.

Edit: After doing some net research it turns out I didn't realize when you increase your processors frequency your memory frequencies increase proportionally as-well. This could be the root of my problems.

Wait - you didn't know that?! :eek: Ouch :o

• Advertisement

Solitaire wrote: »
    Wait - you didn't know that?! :eek: Ouch :o

Im new to this :o But I'm learning :) I'm at 166 (3.8ghz) now and since I've reduced the ram ratio all 6 gigs are showing. Gonna stress test this and see how stable it is, and if its all good I'll take it to 4 :)

So I tested 166@23 for 40 mins with a memory ratio of 4 (1320) and it seemed stable (I know thats not a full proper test) so I tried upping it a bit to 174 (4.004GHz) and OCCT crashed straight away.

I turned off EIST in the bios which gave me access to the CPU multiplier so I tried 200x20 with the memory ration staying at 4 (im using 1600MHz Corsair Ram and this ratio gives me a perfect 1600) but with this setting windows wont boot. Is there anything I'm missing?

Keep EIST on! Turn Turbo Mode off and up the voltage unless its already too high. If it is you might have found your CPU's limit.

Advertisement