Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

eBay Question

• 28-12-2010 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi Guys, Ive been thinking about making the transition to a dSLR for a while now, but the prices in Ireland are ridiculous. I've been looking on eBay and found the SLR I'm interested in for a very good price, more than 200 euro cheaper than in Harvey Normans!!

Ive checked feedback on the seller, etc and it seems legit, however they are based in Hong Kong.

So the only question I have really relates to warranty, if I buy from a seller in Hong Kong where would I stand warranty wise?

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Apart from warranty issues, you will be hit by customs to the value of 22% so it won't be near as cheap as you think. I never buy anything over €22 [that is their cut off/customs] from HK, I only ever buy little add ons. I bought a flash unit priced at €37 and had to pay €13 on top to customs [inc charge for the postie, they say ... ] weigh that up to your dslr price. Won't be pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭noellinnane

Bugger

Didnt think of that, they just love ripping us off dont they! Road trip to Jessops then I think, still cheaper up there! (Do they deliver to ROI?)

Any opiniions on the Nikon D3100?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

What model and price were you looking at in Harvey Norman's ?

Nikon D3100 with 18-55 Kit Lens:

- Eur699 in Harveys
    - Eur619 in Currys
    - Eur557 on Pixmania
    - Eur503 in Jessops (with Cashback)
    - Eur466 from this particular eBay seller

466 + 22% = 568.52

Still cheaper to go that route than Harvey. Keep in mind that whilst you should always be prepared for customs, they don't actually always charge you. It's quite often you'll get away from them without the addition % being added on.

It's 50/50 I suppose. Only thing is, if you have an issue, are you sure you want to have to send back to hong kong and such?

Also, always haggle in Harveys. I think someone on boards before said they are allowed to give up to 10% off most prices, so that's a serious enough saving.

• Advertisement

I think at 568 from eBay, I'd be better off buying from Pixmania; I've bought both of my previous cameras from them and have never had issues, come with warranty n all

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭IamBlip

Conns Cameras in Dublin have it €599.00 + €50 Cashback, Training Course and 2 Year Warranty Available Free, and NikonPlus Vouchers.

Seems like a good deal and they're are also very well rec'd here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

€599 in Argos too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

IamBlip wrote: »
    Conns Cameras in Dublin have it €599.00 + €50 Cashback, Training Course and 2 Year Warranty Available Free, and NikonPlus Vouchers.

Seems like a good deal and they're are also very well rec'd here.

I wouldn't say that. You'll tend to find more people use the phrase - Conns by name and by nature. :eek:

Try Berminghams or Gunns. :D

I would rather wait and pay the extra in Currys than buy a camera from that far away.

• Advertisement

Bermingham's in Dublin
    Nikon D3100 & 18-55mm AF-S G VR **PRICE AFTER CASHBACK €549**

SKU:

List price: €669.00
    Our price : €599.00

Looking at the Nikon Cashback and Training offers they are available to anyone who buys a Nikon within the UK and ROI, so, if bought from Pixmania I would get the EUR50 Cashback and course, ditto Jessops?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭IamBlip

Paulw wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that. You'll tend to find more people use the phrase - Conns by name and by nature. :eek:

Try Berminghams or Gunns. :D

Maybe so Paul, Berminghams have that same deal, Gunns dont put prices online so cant tell without going in.

Birmingham's also give you your first wet sensor clean free and dry sensor cleans for life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Bermingham's in Dublin
    Nikon D3100 & 18-55mm AF-S G VR **PRICE AFTER CASHBACK €549**

SKU:

List price: €669.00
    Our price : €599.00

Wouldn't go near them to be honest, dealt with them once on the phone and was spoken to by the worst and rudest staff member ever.

I'd hate to be anyone who'd have to deal with them if they had an issue or worse needed a replacement.

I've only ever bought one thing in Conns, but have rang them a few times inquiring about used gear. have to say, they were very helpful and chatty on the phone. Didn't try rush me off or anything. Though one guy did tell me going from a D200 to a D90 would be a step down, he was obviously only thinking body-wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

beware though Pixmania usually have foreign stock that arent eligible for cashback offers/training and warranty is only through them usually (my experience from my first camera 2 years ago which was a Canon 1000D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

IamBlip wrote: »
    Maybe so Paul, Berminghams have that same deal, Gunns dont put prices online so cant tell without going in.

Give Gunns a call or drop them an email via their website.

True, they don't have prices online, but you should give them a call as their prices are usually much better than Conns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭woody_2000

Pixmania, I think, sell French/European models - or, at least, they used to (they're now part of the same group which owns Currys and PC World) - which might make them "grey imports" in Ireland and the UK (new models not supported by local manufacturer/distributor warranties). That's why they may offer their own warranty on models they sell. On their website, they do indicate that the models they sell are European specification - and that there may be a manufacturer's warranty -- but does this apply to products sold to Ireland and the UK? Pixmania actually wasted a lot of my time two years ago when they sent the wrong products, which had to be returned for the correct items (this is apparently a recurring problem with them). I bought an Asian grey import from SimplyElectronics.net during the summer because of a particularly good price, and is only covered by their own 12 month warranty in Ireland (for what it's worth). I didn't know at the time I was purchasing a grey import, but, so far, it's worked out ok... Simply Electronics currently have the D3100 available for approx. €525 with free shipping (they bill in £ sterling), however, there is a chance that this may be a genuine Irish/UK model eligible for local warranties and cashbacks. I contacted them before Christmas asking them about eligibility of their models for the latest Canon and Nikon cashbacks, and they confirmed that the SLR models in question were indeed eligible for the cashbacks in question (I had sent them links to the cashback terms and conditions - and had pointed the terms out in my e-mail). I've seen in a fairly recent thread on this forum where someone purchased a Nikon D5000 from them which apparently had a genuine UK/Irish warranty (2 years Nikon warranty). Simply Electronics ship into Ireland from the UK, so there should be no extra import duties or VAT liability (however, I don't know if VAT can be claimed back on their purchases). It's not certain if this is the case, but it would be worth checking and confirming pertinent details with them beforehand - and maybe even insist on holding them to their (e-mail) statement if it is not the case (as this understanding may have been the basis for the purchase)... Simply Electronics are noted for slow shipping, though (and may charge your credit card straight away), and may take up to two weeks, or so, to receive an order. I posted referencing a personal experience with them recently (which wasn't too bad) - but I could not recommend or endorse doing business with them. Would I personally buy off them again? I'm not sure - but if a sufficient price differential existed, I might consider it. I'm not sure I'd risk buying off some of the sellers on eBay selling new cameras, though, as the status and warranties of the cameras in question might not be that good (maybe as low as a 90 day seller's warranty on a new camera)...

On a side note, one thing I personally don't like about the D3100 is that it doen't appear to have exposure bracketing - FWIW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Nikon D3100 with 18-55 Kit Lens:

- Eur699 in Harveys
    - Eur619 in Currys
    - Eur557 on Pixmania
    - Eur503 in Jessops (with Cashback)
    - Eur466 from this particular eBay seller

It's best that Harvey muppet goes back to Australia :mad:

Must check out Jessops, Great price there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭T-rev

OP - Why not look at 2nd hand models, they usually tend to be in really good nick and you will get one for much cheaper than the RRP.

Jessops confirmed that they deliver to ROI :)

@T-Rex, can't find any second hand models of the D3100 anywhere, wouldnt expect to either as it's new.

I have looked at a few second hand models out there, i.e. Adverts.ie etc, and they tend to be way over priced in my opinion

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 submachinegun

Unfortuantly from my own experiance with Irish customs they seem to man-handled everything, I purchased a few lens before on eBay but the last one I got had a massive scracth on the lens. This only happened once but I would never get another lens or anything from Hong Kong again. Fantastic offers from Hong Kong but can't guarantee that they come safely and/or genuine.

Just bare that in mind, it's fine with small items but never anything big or expensive.

Hope it helps.

Advertisement