Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie - Duathlon Q's

Options
  • 28-12-2010 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

All........my first ever post.......so sorry if i am doing something wrong!

Anyhoo, I have been running for a year or two and I am thinking of doing a few duathlons coz I am getting bored of running and want to "shake things up a bit".

To give an idea of where I am coming from, I have 2 10mile races and a half marathon planned for Jan 2011 (Mallow, Dungarvan and Waterford). This is a bit more than I normally do in a month but I do about 3-4 half marathons per year.

I noticed that most duathlons are sprint duathlons (5km run, 20km cycle, 2.5km run). I have searched the internet for "Standard" duathlons (10km run, 40km cycle, 5km run) but can't find any in Ireland.

Q1.
    Does anybody know of standard duathlons coming up this year

Q2.
    Has anybody else switched from running ~10miles to doing duathlons?

Q3.
    Am I being naive thinking that a sprint duathlon would be a bit easy

Cheers.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Hi Tomas,

Might not be the best for giving advice as i'm sure some of the senior guys will
    on to give there view, But here's mine anyhooo.

As far as i can tell there is one 10k 40k 5k Duathlon in Ireland this is in Burnfoot, Co Donegal and this is the National Champs, However this year Limerick is hosting the European Duathlon Champ's in April and this will be over 10k 40k 5k distance, But you need to Qualify to race.

I to switched from running (in a way) done 4/5 last year,
    Unlike you i never really ran h/m and only half dozen or so 10ml races as prefer 5k to 10k races.

I for one would not be taking Sprint distances as a piece of p''s, depending on your ability you could expect to be racing for 55mins (very very very good) upwards.

All that said i would defo have a crack at a few to see how things go,
    Hope this helps and hope you enjoy it.

Ceepo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tomas_f

Cheers Ceepo.

There are a few duathlons in March (sprint distance) in my area (south east). i think that i will have a go. i should have the fitness to "get around" but i will need to bring some cycling into my training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Brian Crinion

Tom,

A few good tips for your first Duathlon from the Limerick based coach Mark Dempsey are here.

The big duathlon in the south east is the Spokes Duathlon at the end of February, but a full calendar of all the Duathlons in Ireland are here.

If you're looking for something longer (3hours+) and don't mind a quick paddle, then maybe some of the irish adventure races are your best bet.

Brian Crinion
    IrishTriathlon

Advertisement