Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pres/Mocks?

• 28-12-2010 10:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭

Probably been asked time and time again but clueless myself if it is same or different for different schools but when are the pres?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

Different in every school,usually the two weeks after mid term!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Hmmm... Damn...
    Best get cracking so,
    Arent all pre papers the same though?

Yes,there's examcraft & Debs companies , if you're interested in having a good cheat I can send you the link of a website where people post all the papers !Personally im not going to cheat, would prefer to see what I actually get rather than a fake 550-600!

Seems counterproductive yeah,
    No I won't cheat, same reasons, just doesn't seem to be a good idea like,
    If your going to do it do it right... Same as leaving cert,
    (This is in regards to the timing of the pres)
    Bit of professionalism required surely...
    Anyway, shant complain, nice to know I've an escape clause :)

Ye it is good to know ,there's an emergency exit plan for when there's no study done & your really scared the week before your pre's but if you do constant study & cheat it's going to give you & parents false hope!

• Advertisement

And theyve that in excess as it is,
    I shall study, get what I get and at least they know where I am then..
    Then things will be taken off me, things will be said, a little "You can do it/ We have faith in you" speech then back on track :d

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,237 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No, not all schools use either DEB or Examcraft papers.

Some schools have teachers who make up their own papers, plus there are at least two other smaller companies offering papers to schools at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I write my own papers but sold them to a company last year so they'll be used this year by them and my new one used in my own class.

So essentially pres are just like another test,
    Theres nothing THAT exclusive about them bar the fact that they take the same amount of time as the actual Leaving Cert.
    Not trying to play them down but always thought of them having much more significance.
    Also, I'm taking that you're a teacher after quoting "my class," :P
    Is there any direct resemblance between what comes up in the Pres and what comes up in the actual Leaving Cert exam...
    Not trying to cut corners, just curious... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Desire to Aspire

No, there is no connection between the Pre papers and the actual Leaving Cert papers. Obviously, the same questions could come up, but that is pure coincidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Do the Mock paperstend to use things from this years news? As in a subject like Irish where the Essay title can be influenced by what was happening when the papers were being written (e.g. church scandal/government issues etc.)? Or will they just be completely random questions with nothing to do with current affairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

They're current. The essays are always current, actual papers written October.Retired teacher from my school writes them and says end of October when they choose from Foinse or other sources.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,237 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The actual papers, on the other hand, are mainly set by the previous summer.

The mock papers are set by businesses who are in it for the money. The SEC papers are set to reflect the syllabus and a number of other criteria.

The value of mocks? It's debatable - timing for questions can be done in house exams, any halfway competent teacher could make a fairly accurate assessement of what each student will get. If the purpose is to give lazy students a 'fright' that can be done in other ways too.

Whether the disruption caused to revision schedules and the school as a whole, not to mention the cost incurred, is worth it, personally, I don't think so, but like many things in Ireland we do them because we always did.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dizzymac

DaveMur1 wrote: »
    Ye it is good to know ,there's an emergency exit plan for when there's no study done & your really scared the week before your pre's but if you do constant study & cheat it's going to give you & parents false hope!

Unless you're any way good at cheating, in which case you can do it in the real thing too, and it won't be false hope.

dizzymac wrote: »
    Unless you're any way good at cheating, in which case you can do it in the real thing too, and it won't be false hope.

Everyoe know's you don't actually need to be good at cheating to do it in the leaving cert hundreds of idiots come out every year braging about how they done it.Good thinking to whichever idiots decided one person was enough to watch 150 doing the leaving cert!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mulner92

Best off to just do them, don't bother finding out what comes up that is pointless. I found the pres were marked a bit harder than the actual leaving cert which was to my benefit. I came up by 25 points in the leaving cert proper. I know plenty of people who cheated their waqy in it and i imagine it served them no help in the actual thing unless they were incredibly lucky of course!

Sure you're screwed when you get to your course then anyway...
    Others around you have a general knowledge of the subject at hand while you're sitting there puzzled about everything bar the ins and outs of the Leaving Cert 2011 exam...
    Rough enough, best to do some work I reckon :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Not trying to come across badly here but could you cheat to a good result? I really can only see how it might barely pass a person, it would almost take as much effort to plan the cheating as to actually study the information surely?

If you're under pressure to do well in the Pres, I think you should cheat.

I'm doing the Junior Cert, and my parents would freak if I didn't do well. Obviously, I won't be able to have everything covered by then, so I'd like to know where to concentrate my study.

Not trying to come across badly here but could you cheat to a good result? I really can only see how it might barely pass a person, it would almost take as much effort to plan the cheating as to actually study the information surely?

Yes cheating could easily help someone to get an A.The modern cheater is not usually someone who is failing their classes,they are now people in the low B grade too lazt to get the A but know's what needs to be done.
    An example of this was is where I seen someone with a 35euro online calculator ,with a usb slot that could exchange large essay type files that can be scanned down through on the calculator screen,this looked the exact same a the legal Casio calculators & could provide a vast amount of answers if in the right hands!

• Advertisement

There was someone on here a couple of years ago that broadcast tht he brought one of said calculators into Leaving Cert and got away with it, oddly enough earlier in thread he gave name and his school so some of people in thread who were a little peeved that this lad had got his desired course whereas they may not have, reported this to the board of education which looked into it...
    Funnily enough thats when I stopped following the story...
    Unsure what happened to him but I'm guessing it wasnt good...
    Like leaving a murder film just before they announce the murderer...
    Disappointed in myself, perhaps some on you might remember it,
    I was on a different account then as well so can't look it up... ><

Absolutely nothing could have happened unless caught by the examiner they have no authority,this is not a reliable source by which they can take any legal action 6r base evidence on.Once your out of the exam you're in the clear as it becomes a case accusations which can be denied!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

DaveMur1 wrote: »
    Absolutely nothing could have happened unless caught by the examiner they have no authority,this is not a reliable source by which they can take any legal action 6r base evidence on.Once your out of the exam you're in the clear as it becomes a case accusations which can be denied!

Wasn't it someone on this forum who reported cheating in her school and that's how the big scandal started this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

There was evidence in that case as they were well armed for the students given the amount of detail given when they were dobbed in. It's not the first time people got caught either. Their business cos quite frankly I'd not bother.

Ciaramb92 wrote: »
    Wasn't it someone on this forum who reported cheating in her school and that's how the big scandal started this year?

Indeed. The girl was looking for advice on whether or not she should report the cheating. It was a pretty hectic thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

So DaveMur1 is wrong..! :P

Remember the thread at the time was massive,
    Insults galore and mayhem essentially.
    Gripping thread, hope someone finds itand brings it up again,
    Only 2 years ago :P

Gripping thread, hope someone finds itand brings it up again,
    Only 2 years ago :P

It was six months ago?

Then there was another because I was in TY when one happened...
    Remember following on here

• Advertisement

Ciaramb92 wrote: »
    So DaveMur1 is wrong..! :P

Wrong!
    I looked it up earlier all charges on the students in question were dropped & no action was taken! So im right as usual, :D
    Im not saying cheating is good but to be honest whichever girl that was who went off & tried ratting on everybody , must really be a proper stuck up b!tch!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement