Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MA in Child, Family and Community Studies

Options
  • 28-12-2010 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hiya,

Im thinking of doing the Masters in Child, Family and Community Stuides. Im ata bit of a crossroads at the mo and checking out a few different options. Anyone have any thoughts on this course or anyone that has done the course??

I have a Honours Degree in Social Care, want to know would I gain from doing this course. Job prospects, whats covered...suicide stuides?? mental health?? addictions?? are these included??

Any help would be great :)

Thanks Roxy21

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭nia121

Hi

Have recently applied to this course. Was just wondering does anyone have any idea when I may receive any notification on my application? Also - can't see under the course information- how many places are on offer? anyone any estimate on postgraduate class numbers?! I really have no idea! kinda pinning all my hopes on getting into this next year :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

Hi,

I'll be going into the Second Year of the Part-Time Course in September. I'm not really sure when I found out I got a place, tbh. Numbers are fairly small....about 20 in both full and part time courses. You'll be mixed with both for most lectures. Just that Full-timers complete the course over one calendar year (Sept-Aug).

Hey thanks for reply!

I still havn't got word..but it says on my application online..awaiting approval..so i just presume they havn't allocated all places yet..who knows! il wait and see!

Just wondering...when you got offered your place was it on a conditional 2.1 degree or anything like that?

I had gone back to DIT a few years after I did my Level 8 degree in Social Care which I got a 2.1 in....so I wasn't waiting on results to get into the course. Think the minimum is a 2.1 (I am open to correction), but I know they also take work experience, etc into consideration. I would say they are in the process of finalising places now, think final year Undergrad students got their results recently so they'll be seeing who they can accept from that cohort.
    You could always e-mail the Course Co-ordinator and see when they expect to let people know. You can find the contact details here: http://www.dit.ie/socialscienceslaw/socialsciences/postgraduateprogrammes/machildfamilycommunitystudies/

Hope this is of some help.....hope you get on OK.

cool thanks very much!! i haven't got my results yet anyway - there out thursday! so i shall see then anyway... Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭andylennon11

Hi guys, i am interested in going back to do MA in community studies or Family and community studies in one of the colleges. need to do it part time but can only find full time courses and would love to hear more about these courses. Can anyone give me some info??At a cross roads in my life and not sure which masters i would like to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Moah

Andy,

Maybe you could consider looking at Family Support as an alternative. NUIG as far as I know have a masters in family support - definitely look it up. The head of department is a man called Pat Dolan he currently holds the UNESCO chair - he's absolutely amazing. If I wasn't on my current masters - I'd be looking in that direction, it's very interesting work.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 orla201

Hi all,

I've just been offered a place on the MA Child, Family and Community Studies course in DIT for Sept 2012. Just wondering if any1 has any further info on it? Like was the course intense/enjoyable, and what are the career prospects?
    Not 100% sure whether to accept it or not as it doesn't lead to a specific qualification. Like would I be employable with this Masters and if so in what sectors?

Thanks,
    Orla x

Hi Roxy,

I know this post is old, but did you apply for this course or find out any more info on it? I was offered a place for the Sept 2012 programme, but trying to find out more info on it before accepting.

Thanks,
    Orla x

orla201 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've just been offered a place on the MA Child, Family and Community Studies course in DIT for Sept 2012. Just wondering if any1 has any further info on it? Like was the course intense/enjoyable, and what are the career prospects?
    Not 100% sure whether to accept it or not as it doesn't lead to a specific qualification. Like would I be employable with this Masters and if so in what sectors?

Hi Orla,

I'm currently in my Final Year (Part-time) of the course. Some of the practicalities that you might need to consider (I'm going on my own experiences/thoughts):

1. Time-table: Generally the lectures are held on Tuesday and Thursday from 4-8pm. You may not be in both days, depends on you modules. If you are taking the course Part-time, then my advice is to get both the 'Option' modules out of the way in the Year 1. This leaves you with only one module in the Second Semester of Year 2.

2. Intense/Enjoyable: Both I'd say. Some of the modules are Continuous Assesment and others are a mix of CA and Exam. Exams are in January and May. I would have to say that some modules were more intense than others and it depends what particular areas you are interested whether you enjoy them. There were one/two modules I could have done without really. But overall I am happy I am doing the course. From talking to some of those completing the Full-time course this year, I would say unless you can devote a substantial amount of time to the course you are better off doing it Part-time - More time to degest info and do essays/assignments, etc.

3. Employment: This MA is purely an Academic Masters and is NOT a professional one. The reason it is not a Professional Masters is that there is no body that course can be accredited to. I think a MA of any kind will stand to you employment-wise.
    I'm not sure what Qualifications you have to-date, but some of those who are currently completing the MA this year are: Teachers, Childcare Workers, Montessori Workers, Social Care Workers, Youth Justice Workers, School Completion, Residential Services, Disability Sector. Others in the class have come straight from Undergrad education. I am also sure it would aid in a Policy-making typ job.

4. Thesis: You will be expected to complete a Thesis in the Second Semester (i.e you would start this shortly after January and then finish it by September the same year). This is your chance to do some research into an area you are interested in.

Any other question?? Please bear in mind that this is MY experience and feedback is given on the basis of what you wrote. The course is subject to change and what is said above should only be seen as a guide to you and other prospective students.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

I've merged the two threads on this MA into one :)

Thanks so much for the quick reply Lang. My undergraduate degree was an Arts degree studying English and Human Development, so to date I have no professional qualifications. That's why I'm a bit sceptical about accepting this place. Although I've an interest in the area, and I'd love to tackle a Masters, I still wouldn't be qualified in anything after completing it.

Decisions Decisions!

Although I've an interest in the area, and I'd love to tackle a Masters, I still wouldn't be qualified in anything after completing it.

Decisions Decisions!

It might help you if you check out the Health and Social Care Professionals Act 2005 (http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2005/en/act/pub/0027/sec0004.html#sec4). This lists a set of occupations/professions that, in the coming years, will be regulated and you will need minimum qualifications in. My two undergrad degrees were in Social Care (minimum requirement under the Act is a Level 7), so I am ok on that score. The MA is purely Academic, however it will stand to you with regards employment as any other Academic MA would. With regard employment in Social Care (Residential Services), most employers will look for a minimum qualifcation of BA in Social Care (Level 7) or equivalant.

Hope all this helps you in deciding whether to take up the Course or not. Best of Luck!!

Thanks so much for all the info Lang. I've emailed the course co-ordinator for guidance as well. I'll let you know what I decide.

Orla :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 amyd1801

Orla im in the same predicament as you.

I recieved confirmation yesterday that I have been accepted onto the same course Part Time. Like you, I really want to do a Masters and I am quiet interested in this area but am worried about job prospects when I finish! :confused::confused: could you let me know of any further info you get?

Lang cheers for sharing all that info, good to get the perspective of somebody currently on the course. My Undergraduate Degree is in Early Childhood Studies so its good to see that some from a similiar background are currently on the course. Your advice has been quiet helpful.

Cheers:)

Amy

Hi Amy,

Congrats on d offer :) I was offered a place on the Full-time and part-time course but I think financially I'd have to accept the Part-time course, as it would allow me to continue working a few days a week in order to fund it!

Does your undergraduate degree qualify you to work with children in an educational setting, or is it just purely academic like mine?

I'm currently completing a postgraduate cert in childhood and youth studies online from The Open University. I'm really enjoying it, and have the option to continue to Masters level aswel, but found myself drawn to the DIT Masters as I feel I'd be more motivated by actually attending lectures as opposed to online tutorials and downloads. But if childhood studies is your interest, you should give the Open University a look aswel.

Like urself my only qualm is if the Masters Degree is in DIT is worth studying. I'm currently working in a Newsagents - something which was only a part time job during my under graduate degree- yet has been a god send to me since I left college in 2009 as I'm not actually qualified in anything! My biggest concern is actually accepting the DIT Masters and after two years of study, still finding myself employed in a Newsagents as I'm still not qualified to apply for other jobs!?

No doubt the Masters would be a huge learning experience and personal achievement, yet would it make us more employable?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 amyd1801

Hi again Orla,

I have been weighing up the pro's and cons i.e. cost, employment opportunities etc all weekend and am happy to say that I have decided to accept the place:D having an MA on the cv can only be of benefit and if i dont do it now i never will. at the moment my degree is both academic and professional and allows me to work with children up to 6 years of age so im not to bad in that respect!! I am quiet excited about the prospect of going back to education hopefully i will be as enthuasiastic about this come september!!! have you thought anymore about it??

Amy

Hi Amy,

I'm thinkin of accepting it aswel. It's too much of a good opportunity to let it pass me by. I still have doubts about investing 2yrs of my time and money into a course that still won't qualify me for anything. Especially cause I've no current qualification. But at d end of d day it's a Masters, and the learning experience alone would be great. And as u said it'd give any c.v a boost!

Yeh I can't wait to go back to college either. Stocking up on new stationary, hehe. Looks like I'll be seeing u in class :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1 RuHarrison

Hi Amy,

I'm thinkin of accepting it aswel. It's too much of a good opportunity to let it pass me by. I still have doubts about investing 2yrs of my time and money into a course that still won't qualify me for anything. Especially cause I've no current qualification. But at d end of d day it's a Masters, and the learning experience alone would be great. And as u said it'd give any c.v a boost!

Yeh I can't wait to go back to college either. Stocking up on new stationary, hehe. Looks like I'll be seeing u in class :p

Hi Amy/ Orla

I know it has been a long time since you were talking about this course but would you be able to tell me how you found it in the end? If it lead you to job opportunities?

Thanks!

Advertisement