Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full time Vs Part time courses

Options
  • 28-12-2010 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭

So I'm planning to go back to college in Sept, I am a mature student and currently not working. Won't qualify for grant as I live at home even though I have a daughter and don't receive anything from parents.

I want to do a business degree and am thinking of either Tallaght or Blancherstown It. Was looking at cost of part time degree and its €1700 roughly depending on college. Whereas if i go full time It is €2000 reg fee's and around €100 per week for creche.

So obviously i'm leaning more towards going part time. Realistically what will i be missing out by not going full time. As course is same length of time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,067 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

with part time you can get 20% tuition fees back in tax refund

Also - are you getting social welfare - you could be entitled to BTEA

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

btea is the same as i get on my lone parents only extra is €500 in september.

I dont think I can get 20% back if i've paid no tax that year. Or can you?

bulmersgal wrote: »
    btea is the same as i get on my lone parents only extra is 500 in september.

I dont think I can get 20% back if i've paid no tax that year. Or can you?

Yes - if a parent or someone else pays tuition fees and I am only talking about tuition fees then they can claim a 20% refund

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

oh never thought about that, be handy to get my dad to pay and get 500 off. Thank you so much for your advice. Thats great, thank you so much.

bulmersgal wrote: »
    oh never thought about that, be handy to get my dad to pay and get 500 off. Thank you so much for your advice. Thats great, thank you so much.
    note that I'm only referring to tuition fees NOT the registration fee or student contribution

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

no i understand that what i'll be going for. Thanks again

Advertisement