Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is AIB open tomorrow?

Options
  • 28-12-2010 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭

People keep saying banks are closed tomorrow for another day.I fail to see how it is a holiday tomorrow.:confused::mad:

ok Fair enough Monday,even Tuesday but Wednesday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

I know it's not what you asked, but Ulster Bank is closed tomorrow. So I presume AIB will be closed too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

number10a wrote: »
    I know it's not what you asked, but Ulster Bank is closed tomorrow. So I presume AIB will be closed too.

How do they justify that,i do not understand how they can get away with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Dec 27 is a bank Holiday so tomorrow is a bank holiday for stephens day

It's always been the way caseyann

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

efb wrote: »
    God way to make up their holiday boggy men :mad:
    It's always been the way caseyann

What getting away with whatever they wish,making up bank holidays for stephens day lol

• Advertisement

It's always been a bank holiday

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

The 27th and 28th are the days to cover the Bank Holidays.

Today is a normal working day except for those in the Banks .

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Toboldlygo

Irish Banks have had long holidays over Christmas for the past 30 years at least.

Half day on Christmas Eve (except when Xmas Eve falls on Sat and Sun). This is a tradition from the days when Bankers worked away from their home town and was originally allowed to enable bankers to make their way home for Christmas Day.

The Banks tried to do away with this 'half day' holiday in the eighties but the IBOA made sure it was retained. Maybe Larry Broderick (leader of the IBOA; the bank worker's union) can explain why? He is usually not shy about giving his opinion in public; but then I am sure he's well paid to do so (he has been shy about broadcasting the size of his pay packet - even to IBOA members of 30+ years standing)!

Christmas Day, Saint Stephen's Day and the day after St Stephen's day; then New Year's Day are also bank holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

caseyann wrote: »
    God way to make up their holiday boggy men :mad:

Been like that for decades, tradition at this stage

Nothing new happened in 2010 for these holidays

parsi wrote: »
    The 27th and 28th are the days to cover the Bank Holidays.

Today is a normal working day except for those in the Banks .

Yes it's not a PUBLIC holiday, it's a BANK holiday- the clue is in the name...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Yes it's not a PUBLIC holiday, it's a BANK holiday- the clue is in the name...

If only someone published a list of Bank holidays....

If only someone published a list of Bank holidays....

That link is presumes a lot - I would hope that by next Christmas bank employees would have similar holiday arrangements to Public Servants seeing as they will be State Owned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

That link is presumes a lot - I would hope that by next Christmas bank employees would have similar holiday arrangements to Public Servants seeing as they will be State Owned.

Wo hoo :D
    Roll on our defined benefit pension.

But what do our half hour off to cash a cheque entail when we work in a bank? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭noworries

Excellent suggestion... now what are the bank officials going to do with the extra holidays...

you do of course mean that bank officials will now get the extra 'privilege days' in line with the public sector no ??:rolleyes:

Wo hoo :D
    Roll on our defined benefit pension.

But what do our half hour off to cash a cheque entail when we work in a bank? :confused:

The majority of bankers have defined-benefit pensions. The 30 minutes (now gone) wasn't for cheque cashing - it was for training.
    noworries wrote:
    you do of course mean that bank officials will now get the extra 'privilege days' in line with the public sector no ??

As part of their contribution to finding the money to bail out the banks public servants lost their privilege days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭noworries

As part of their contribution to finding the money to bail out the banks public servants lost their privilege days.

No they did not..... they will loose the bank time from Jan 1st 2011.

The 'privilege' days are still being discussed - not gone.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/1216/1224285653708.html

Advertisement