Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study techniques/plans/ANYTHING!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 heyyjude

I find it easier to study with other people, even if its only one person.
    You feel motivated to do something, as long as ye dont get sidetracked and start talking! its good to study together on a subject and then test each other on it. Even studying different things is good too because you have to be quiet and seeing another person studying will motivate you :)

It works for me as I get distracted by the smallest things, I dont have a timetable though :( It would be handy because you tend to spend more time on the subjects you like and neglect your weak subjects which isn't good. And something always pops up when you are supposed to be studying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

heyyjude wrote: »
    I find it easier to study with other people, even if its only one person.
    You feel motivated to do something, as long as ye dont get sidetracked and start talking! its good to study together on a subject and then test each other on it. Even studying different things is good too because you have to be quiet and seeing another person studying will motivate you :)

It works for me as I get distracted by the smallest things, I dont have a timetable though :( It would be handy because you tend to spend more time on the subjects you like and neglect your weak subjects which isn't good. And something always pops up when you are supposed to be studying.

You've just pretty much summed up my study woes.
    Try anything with anyone and just end up talking,
    Try stuff on my own and I make my own distractions,
    And work on my stronger subjects...
    Just avoid anything remotely challenging really or anything I don't understand, at the moment its Biology.. :X

Maybe try study groups? so that you will be in a study environment and seeing other people studying will freak you out and might motivate you.

As for studying by yourself, i haven't figured out the trick to that one yet! I try to avoid German cause i dunno where to start and english cause there is so much to cover!!!

To get into studying english, i do some reading comprehensions or unseen poetry and once you start that you are kinda in the rhythm of studying. Then pick out a poet and read his poems and notes or study a few themes in Hamlet (if thats what you're doing?)

I love Biology and tend to study that more then the other subjects. Understanding is the key to that, there is no point in trying to learn the stuff off. Pick out a chapter, for example Genetic Engineering and read it slowly and try to understand it. As you are reading the book read your notes aswell, teacher's notes are often less confusing than the book. Then go through your exam papers and pick out the questions and see if you can answer them, go through your book if you need to, as long as you understand it!

Photosynthesis and Respiration are really hard to understand. I tackled Respiration yesterday and kind of understand it, although i'm a bit confused about the electrons in the Krebbs Cycle. I highlighted that and i'm going to ask the teacher. Even though i don't fully understand it, i have a grasp of it and could answer most of the exam questions.

Those two chapters are very off putting but try to read through them and think about them, whatever you are really confused about ask you teacher :)

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

We have an English and oral study group going, it's going well so far. We each take something and do the most indepth notes and most reading we can on it and then pass them among the others in the group, it's good thusfar anyway.

heyyjude wrote: »
    Maybe try study groups? so that you will be in a study environment and seeing other people studying will freak you out and might motivate you.

As for studying by yourself, i haven't figured out the trick to that one yet! I try to avoid German cause i dunno where to start and english cause there is so much to cover!!!

To get into studying english, i do some reading comprehensions or unseen poetry and once you start that you are kinda in the rhythm of studying. Then pick out a poet and read his poems and notes or study a few themes in Hamlet (if thats what you're doing?)

I love Biology and tend to study that more then the other subjects. Understanding is the key to that, there is no point in trying to learn the stuff off. Pick out a chapter, for example Genetic Engineering and read it slowly and try to understand it. As you are reading the book read your notes aswell, teacher's notes are often less confusing than the book. Then go through your exam papers and pick out the questions and see if you can answer them, go through your book if you need to, as long as you understand it!

Photosynthesis and Respiration are really hard to understand. I tackled Respiration yesterday and kind of understand it, although i'm a bit confused about the electrons in the Krebbs Cycle. I highlighted that and i'm going to ask the teacher. Even though i don't fully understand it, i have a grasp of it and could answer most of the exam questions.

Those two chapters are very off putting but try to read through them and think about them, whatever you are really confused about ask you teacher :)

Stumped on biology now on those two chapters.
    Missed Genetics as well though but kind of have notes on that and will try to pick it up at a later date.
    Read through photosynthesis today and kind of got a grasp on it but totally clueless on respiration..
    Tend to try to avoid Biology but really need to get stuck into it now...

On the other hand I'm a big fan of English,
    Not exceptional but enjoy it as a subject as you don't really have to learn stuff off.

Kind of laying off French for a bit (probably unwise) as I've just moved to pass.

Must put in more work in Geog and Business too but at the moment concentrating mainly on Chemistry, not because I'm massively struggling but to prove the teacher wrong :)

• Advertisement

dont study photosynthesis and respiration together because that will make it exteremyl confusing!! I loved English, but at the moment im suffering from a writers block, it has been going on for 2years :(

How do you find Chemistry? i tried doing it by myself cause i wanted to be a vet but couldnt make head nor tail of it!!

Hows ur irish? you can pm me if you need any help in that, not that im an expert or anything but im from the gaeltacht so im pretty good at it :)

Thats how the teachers taught it :-/
    Photosynthesis then Respiration,
    And both going to be in upcoming test S:

You'll get over it by pres :)
    Just have to do a few pieces of creative writing,
    And make it enjoyable to read,
    Balance humour with good vocab and grammar and you've a lot of your marks got already :P

Now poetry and play is all about personal touch really,
    Everyone has pretty much same information on each poet,
    Up to you to make your answer different,
    Use relevant quotations, give your personal views on the poems,
    What you think of the writer, good/bad and so on...
    Have to make your answer stand out from everyone elses.

Chemistrys almost impossible to learn on your own,
    I've a very good teacher, explains everything well and throws in digs and me every chance she gets, which surprisingly motivates me :P
    Not an expert at Chem but know a thing or two and could suggest a website and a book to get if you wish to learn how to answer questions on Chem (Exam Edge Chemistry.) Basically like an examinations.ie for Chemistry with the questions split up topic by topic and Q&A then throughout. Theres also a Celtic Cross booklet with Chem thats very helpful and summarizes entire course.

Offered help in Irish 2/3 times now :D
    Came to Ireland from England when I was 10,
    Just about the right time to be exempt from Irish :P
    Lucky enough :)

lucky you!
    I'll be fine with English once i get over my stubborness haha

I gave up Chemistry after like 2months, it seemed too much like hard work and I was putting so much concentration into it that my grades were dropping in everything else so it was for the best really!

What are you thinking of doing after school?

Ah yes yes,
    Too much to do on your own,
    Struggling now :P

Wish I had a solid idea...
    Its done the full circle really,
    Touched on everything and now its back to Law again...
    Could very easily change tomorrow... :X

And yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Deedeecupcake

For respiration and photosynthesis, try drawing out your cycles with labels. According to my biology teacher who is fab ( Wish I could lend her to you :rolleyes:) the cycles are all you need to know in detail. Once you know these everything else gets a little bit easier :)

• Advertisement

it changes every week but i'm thinking of Law aswell, but i'd do it through arts and do English and Legal Science to keep my options open :)

Yes the diagrams are very helpful in photosynthesis and respiration but getting to the point of understanding whats going on is difficult.

Advertisement