Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Spec for my Build - Need advise

Options
  • 29-12-2010 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭

Right I've been talking about this for over a month. But I will be placing my order tomorrow or Thursday.

This is not a gaming rig. It's for 3D design and Photoshop use.

I will be overclocking to about 3.5/3.7 gig what on the stock fan, Is this power supply to much even though i will be Overclocking.

I was trying to get it under €600 but went a little over.

I need HDMI on the graphics card.

Here is the spec.

axgns5.jpg

I want 8gig ram and this is the cheapest 1600 i could see on the site.

Advise would be great.

Cheers lads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

You might run into stability issues with that RAM- board only officially supports 1333 and 2000 (@ OC). If you are overclocking your CPU, the last thing you want is instability issues with other components.

Also, I know some of the other Asus 8xxG boards have issues with running certain Samsung drives- you need to manually set the board's controller to SATAII (I needed a BIOS update to do this).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

should i get 6 gig RAM at 2000 then ? cant afford 8 gig of 2000 and i dont really want to use 1333.

Changing the HDD is no problem. Which should i use ? gotta be 1TB. I''ll be putting more in in a few months.

C.D. wrote: »
    You might run into stability issues with that RAM- board only officially supports 1333 and 2000 (@ OC). If you are overclocking your CPU, the last thing you want is instability issues with other components.

Also, I know some of the other Asus 8xxG boards have issues with running certain Samsung drives- you need to manually set the board's controller to SATAII (I needed a BIOS update to do this).

Sorry just wondering.. Can i not just OC the processor ? and leave the RAM as it is ?

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

NeVeR wrote: »
    Sorry just wondering.. Can i not just OC the processor ? and leave the RAM as it is ?

You can, but when you OC your CPU, you are going to run a load of stability tests. If your RAM is causing instability, you will fail the tests and will not be able to discern if it is your CPU overclock or you RAM.

To run in dual channel (which you definitely want), you will need 4GB or 8GB to occupy 2 or 4 slots. There is minimal impact on gaming performance between 1333 and 1600- your RAM latencies and timings will have a bigger effect, so look for CL7 1333 DDR3.

For the money, I'd get a decent Antec or Corsair PSU, you could get by on a good ~500W PSU.

Also don't forget CD/DVD drive.

what about getting 8 gig of this
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=29671&agid=1192

Would i not need a 600W+ PSU for overclocking . Also i'll be adding some small fans into the case and extra HDD's later on.

I've got some DVD drives so i'm ok there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Have a read up on the software you use, and see if any of it is GPU accelerated. Some of them might use CUDA, in which case get this instead, and if none of them are GPU accelerated then drop your graphics card back to a 5450 or something and spend the savings elsewhere

No they dont use Cuda.

3Ds max might in the next few years. But there might be a renderer that supports it. I'll have to look into that.

Also from what i've read Photoshop does not support it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

3ds max is autodesk yeah?

I know their cad software has hardware acceleration, but i never really noticed much difference even when doing the odd redner of a 3d layout.

Id get the cheapest card you can that has the output you need (dvi/hdmi or whatever) save the money for something else.

Lu Tze wrote: »
    3ds max is autodesk yeah?

I know their cad software has hardware acceleration, but i never really noticed much difference even when doing the odd redner of a 3d layout.

Id get the cheapest card you can that has the output you need (dvi/hdmi or whatever) save the money for something else.

Will any HDMI GPU throw out 1080p to my TV (my TV is 1080p)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,437 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

NeVeR wrote: »
    Will any HDMI GPU throw out 1080p to my TV (my TV is 1080p)

yep.easily..even the low end latest series from nvidia/ati can easily handle 1080p blu-ray decoding on the card...
    however photoshop does use 3d acceleration..think it's only nvidia at the moment though

link below will clarify

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404898.html

• Advertisement

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    yep.easily..even the low end latest series from nvidia/ati can easily handle 1080p blu-ray decoding on the card...
    however photoshop does use 3d acceleration..think it's only nvidia at the moment though

link below will clarify

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404898.html

Thats cool. I couldn't find that earlier.

With that in mind and a budget of €100 for a GPU which one would be best.

Advertisement