Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

my beer is an ale

• 29-12-2010 12:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭

My Youngs Harvest Larger has turned out more of an ale, why was that?

The fermenting temp varied from 14c to 20c, i also used malt extract syrup as well as sugar.

beerj.jpg

As for the taste its definitely not a larger, more like an ale a tad sweet kinda like cafferys ...feck it i like it hiccup!:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭kenmc

fryup wrote: »
    My Youngs Harvest Larger has turned out more of an ale, why was that?

The fermenting temp varied from 14c to 20c, i also used malt extract syrup as well as sugar.

beerj.jpg

As for the taste its definitely not a larger, more like an ale a tad sweet kinda like cafferys ...feck it i like it hiccup!:)

Probably cos you added an 'R'. "Lager" + "R" = "Ale".

Oh and cos the yeast was almost certainly an ale yeast in the kit too.

And you fermented too high for a lager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

oops yes Lager

ale yeast? but it was packaged as a lager kit

and it said in the instructions to ferment at 20c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭kenmc

yes but they know that most people are unable to control the fermentation temp low enough, hence its an ale yeast, hence it says 20 degrees.
    lager is hard to do properly.

Advertisement