Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Taxis and women on their own

Options
  • 29-12-2010 1:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if there is a Dublin taxi forum here on boards- but here goes

Last week, Wednesday the 23rd December, myself and a male friend got a taxi from a rank just north of the Liffey.

As I live at an address easily confused with one on the southside, I always check with the taxi driver first that he knows where I am wanting to go.
    The first fella in the queue didn't have a clue where I was talking about.

He began consulting maps, and being as he was a bit reluctant about doing so, and I was not in the mood for directing somebody-since I was indulging the money for getting a taxi, I went to the next fella in the taxi rank.

Well, the next fella in the rank was so aggressive with me and demanded me and my friend took the first taxi.
    He was literally boiling over with rage-it was scary, I was actually thinking, thank goodness I was not on my own and/or we didn't get a taxi with him!

Anyway, we got home safe and sound all was well.
    Now, our taxi driver was black-was this the reason the second taxi driver was livid with rage with us - assuming racism?

Also, is it not okay for a person to reject the first taxi the rank queue?

Usually, as a female on my own, I have nothing other than my gut instinct to rely on when I get into a taxi on my own- so therefore, should'nt I have the choice to get into a different taxi, without question if I just do not want to go into the first one in the rank queue?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

It's your money. You can pick any taxi you want.

Without trying to sound too smart... What exactly is the fear of getting a taxi on your own? What do you expect will happen in a worst case scenario?

And yeah, you can get any taxi you like. They just prefer you to go to the front of the line, as it's fairer for them (as the bloke at the back has just come back from a fair and the bloke at the front has been waiting).

I'd be more concerned about women taxi drivers having to deal with all kinds of drunken blokes. But they know what they're getting into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

It's your money. You can pick any taxi you want.

Well. This the question I am asking. Can I?

Mr. No. 2 demanded to know why I wasn't going with Mr. No.1 in the rank, and when I explained, that was when he got aggressive, and got angrily out of his car storming of to Mr. Taxi No. 1 to tell him where I lived.

Then, when I said ' Okay hold on a minute, surely I can choose which taxi I want', well, this was met by serious aggression from mr. taxi man no.2 ' he knows where you are going now!' etc.

Bit freaked, but as I was with a male friend home for the cmas, and both of us just wanted nae hassle we meekly got into taxi. no.1.

But, in future, am I okay in standing my ground and just saying no?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Darlughda wrote: »
    W

Just get a taxi from somewhere up the road and report the shenanigans to the Taxi Regultor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Mr. No. 2 demanded to know why I wasn't going with Mr. No.1 in the rank, and when I explained, that was when he got aggressive, and got angrily out of his car storming of to Mr. Taxi No. 1 to tell him where I lived.

Then, when I said ' Okay hold on a minute, surely I can choose which taxi I want', well, this was met by serious aggression from mr. taxi man no.2 ' he knows where you are going now!' etc.

Bit freaked, but as I was with a male friend home for the cmas, and both of us just wanted nae hassle we meekly got into taxi. no.1.

this os the faq on the taxi regulator site.

and i quoted this from the page

Am I entitled to choose any taxi at a rank?

Yes, as a consumer your can choose whichever taxi you would like to travel in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Absolutely, a swift "Go F*ck yourself" to taxi driver No 2 wouldn't go amiss earlier.

Also, I presume they are just handing out taxi licences to any Joe Soap these days. An Uncle of mine got his taxi licence when deregulation first happened (about 12yrs ago, maybe more?).

He had run a haulage company for many years and knew Ireland - Dublin in particular - inside out. I remember him telling me how difficult the written test was. How you had to plan routes using exact streetnames etc (ie, not just saying "head down the end of that road, take a right") and you had to pick two entirely different routes to get from Point A to Point B using none of the same roads.

I wonder when I hear stories like the OP's about "new" drivers not knowing an address or area... I hopped in a taxi from the airport with some pals a couple of years ago. We all live Southside and to our amazement, the taxi driver (wonderfully pleasant and polite lady that she was) needed directions to the Red Cow roundabout - one of the busiest and most well known thoroughfares in the country.

Makes you wonder...

Degsy wrote: »
    Just get a taxi from somewhere up the road and report the shenanigans to the Taxi Regultor.

Ok. So are you saying that this is not ok?

I am confused-Late at night when there is competition for taxis, particularly on an icy night as this was, it just seemed somehow, impossible to imagine there are rules about this.

Are there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Of course. Look at it this way (actually prob not a good comparison), if your in a shop and you see 2 chocolate bars of dairy milk. Doesn't mean you have to take the first bar there, you could reach around and grab one from the back if you wanted.

Without trying to sound too smart... What exactly is the fear of getting a taxi on your own? What do you expect will happen in a worst case scenario?

I dont mean to be smart- but have you seen the Bláinaid Timothy thread?

Also, getting into a car with a strange man - damn right I am going to rely on gut instinct! Wouldn't you?:eek:

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Ok. So are you saying that this is not ok?

I am confused-Late at night when there is competition for taxis, particularly on an icy night as this was, it just seemed somehow, impossible to imagine there are rules about this.

Are there?

You can do whatever you like, had a similar issue on the 23rd at the stephens green rank. First guy wanted to know what the roads were like out the way we were going before he would take us, just walked to second car straight away. Second guy wanted to know why we didn't go with first guy, third guy was happy to take us without the stupid questions..

• Advertisement

an idea might be to get into a taxi that has a phone number on the plate - this shows that the taxi is part of a rank and more than likely has a driver who knows the business and isnt moonlighting

an idea might be to get into a taxi that has a phone number on the plate - this shows that the taxi is part of a rank and more than likely has a driver who knows the business and isnt moonlighting

Well, as I stated we didn't get as far as even getting into the taxi, before mr. Taxi rank no. 2 got so aggressive and made sure we got in the first taxi.

But yeah, when I'm in a taxi, (i.e., a car with an unknown man on my own, I do make note of these things.....doesn't everbody?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

this os the faq on the taxi regulator site.

and i quoted this from the page

Am I entitled to choose any taxi at a rank?

Yes, as a consumer your can choose whichever taxi you would like to travel in.

i actually used this to my advantage once for the craic.

i picked the guy with the biggest nicest volvo and it paid off.... heated seats are a win at no extra charge :)

i literally just picked the nicest car out of the lot and it had nothing to do with driver :)

Well, its good to know thanks.

As I said that night, I was with an old mate who was back for the night for Cmas, staying in my place, we had sank the pints and possibly the Titanic, so last thing either of us wanted was to get into a 'discussion' at the taxi rank.

Nonetheless, it niggled with me, and as I am single, I do rely on taxis late at night, and was wondering what would happen if were on my own, and just did not like the look of the first guy in the queue?

from reading your first post can i guess that you live in bonnybrook in coolock, sounds like donnybrook?

from reading your first post can i guess that you live in bonnybrook in coolock, sounds like donnybrook?

No. not even lukewarm, and unlike faery tales, you don't get any more guesses, nosey parker.

the only reason i was asking is if you had said yes i would have said maybe the 27n would have been a late night option for you

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭get_d_hand_in

QUOTE]

Well you sound the opposite of smart if you ask me.

Obviously a women on her own is going to have questions in her mind when choosing a taxi... It's fairly self explanatory with the kind of lunatics about these days.

Goodwoman, pick what ever taxi you like the next time. sure if he didn hnow where he was going, he was incapable of fulfilling the contract you would have to pay him for. Also the next time a someone starts to harass you like so, call the gaurds and take his registration number..

Worst case scenario ?
    I imagine rape or murder really, not exactly unheard of is it :rolleyes:

RoverJames wrote: »
    Worst case scenario ?
    I imagine rape or murder really, not exactly unheard of is it :rolleyes:

But if the guy is at the rank, he's surely known to be a taxi driver, and at least known by the other taxis around him?

When the taxi starts to go the wrong way or you cop it's not headed to your house, surely it can't be too hard to cause a scene? Especially in Dublin or other such populated places?:confused:

• Advertisement

But if the guy is at the rank, he's surely known to be a taxi driver, and at least known by the other taxis around him?

There seems to be no guarantee of this.
    When the taxi starts to go the wrong way or you cop it's not headed to your house, surely it can't be too hard to cause a scene? Especially in Dublin or other such populated places?:confused:
    In a locked car what the fck can you do?
    If the doors are locked, there is no way out, even exiting from a car at high speed is going to be instant collision with death or brain damage.

Who is going to hear your screams if you are in a car with a fcking psycho who just wants to rape and/or kill?

So instead of pulling into the fare's estate he pulls into an industrial estate up the road.............................. in all fairness it's not beyond the realms of possibility that a taxi driver would rape or murder someone. When I lived in Dublin once you left the actual city centre the place was fairly quite in the small hours of the morning, I presume that hasn't changed in the last 5 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Celtise

I have to say I have had a few experiences in taxis where I didn't feel totally safe, mostly were in Dublin but one in Cork. I think the Dublin ones were just trying to figure out how much they could scam me for though since I definitely don't sound like I'm from Dublin. I have at times insisted them on taking the route I want though since I do actually know Dublin (well the parts where I do be going) quite well. I also would not take a taxi in Dublin on my own after midnight/1am anymore, and in Cork I would pick the taxi I wanted if I were taking it on my own that late.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

There seems to be no guarantee of this.

In a locked car what the fck can you do?
    If the doors are locked, there is no way out, even exiting from a car at high speed is going to be instant collision with death or brain damage.

Who is going to hear your screams if you are in a car with a fcking psycho who just wants to rape and/or kill?

I think this is what you really wanted to talk about. Isn't it? You originally asked repeatedly whether you could get in to any taxi you like at a rank. You were directed to the taxi regulators website which states you can.You still kept asking the question.
    Now you are talking about rape and murder!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I suggest taking the night link in future, especially if you're not going far.

Your disposition doesn't seem suited to the harrowing roulette-wheel of crime possibilities that is getting a taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

I would have got out and got the taxi at the very back of the rank. He would be the most grateful. Must be awash with money in the taxi game that they can afford to reject and hassle customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Primarily thanks to the OP this thread has rapidly descended into sensationalism & has left rational discussion behind.

OP - if you have an issue with a taxi driver contact the Gardai or the Taxi Regulator. But don't come to this forum in an attempt to scaremonger & raise a virtual lynch mob.

Closed, until Des or Makikomi feel that this is worth reopening.

HB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement