Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest way to pay for a car in the UK

Options
  • 29-12-2010 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

Does anyone know the cheapest way to pay for a car in the UK.I am buying a car in the UK after xmas but dont want to transfer the money over until i physically inspect the car first but i would also like the pick the car up on the same day if everything goes well. I was thinking of just bringing over cash with me but does anyone know which way would be cheapest. I have to bring over 7k in sterling. I have used transfermate.com before but they transfer it straight into the other account for you but this doesnt suit me this time.

Does anyone know the cheapest way to buy 7k in sterling from a bank

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Kyle0r

I've used transfermate.com and been very happy with services received.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

1. Purchase a Bank Draft

2. Get his account details and transfer funds electronically.

I bought a car in UK before and used a Bank Draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Trhiggy83

Rebel1977 wrote: »
    1. Purchase a Bank Draft

2. Get his account details and transfer funds electronically.

I bought a car in UK before and used a Bank Draft.

Ya i bought a bank draft as i wanted the cash in hand in case i decide not to buy the car.

The advantages of electronic is that you will get a better exchange rate off of transfermate.com rather than the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Advantage with draft is he does not get your money until you are 100% happy with the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Trhiggy83

Rebel1977 wrote: »
    Advantage with draft is he does not get your money until you are 100% happy with the car.

Ya exactly i bought a car before but went over and looked at it before hand so i was happy to transfer into his account. This time it will be my first time looking at the car in person but i have done all the background checks so just need to make sure everything is up to scratch. The car im buyin was repossessed and low mileage so you would think there aint much wrong with it(i got the mileage verified already) but will still be on gaurd looking for any dodgy repair jobs that may have been carried out.
    I have a list done out of what ill be checking so that i dont forget anything on the day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement