Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy water off at night??

Options
  • 29-12-2010 3:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Right, bit of a rant now, but where is my bloody water??? it's 2 in the morning and I have just got home from work and the water is off. I therefore refuse to pay for water, or any kind of tax the Goverment think they will get off me, Anyone else in the same position?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Dodally

its turned off at night in most places in ireland because of all the leaks and during the day perhaps off for a few hours and the water pressure is reduced.

were all in the same boat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

Padjo1981 wrote: »
    Right, bit of a rant now, but where is my bloody water??? it's 2 in the morning and I have just got home from work and the water is off. I therefore refuse to pay for water, or any kind of tax the Goverment think they will get off me, Anyone else in the same position?

poor you

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

Well it's only recently here I have noticed. I don't pay for half a days supply, so I won't pay. If SKY tried the same I would not let them away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

+100 I'm sick and tired of Enniscorthy's water supply being turned off with no prior warning and while it may have something to do with the snow - this time - what about all the previous occasions? :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

+100 I'm sick and tired of Enniscorthy's water supply being turned off with no prior warning and while it may have something to do with the snow - this time - what about all the previous occasions? :mad::mad::mad:

Could be worse-at least we don't have to queue for hours at a standpipe to collect water in buckets as has happened in Belfast and other parts of the country.If people stopped leaving taps running at night and spent the very small amount of money needed to lag pipes,the water pressure wouldn't need to be reduced or turned off at night.

Pipes freeze and expand then burst when the thaw sets in.We had serious cold for the last 2 weeks and had similar in January/February,pity people didn't learn lessons then,it's not as if we don't get cold weather in Winter.A friend of mine has had no water for a week now in the midlands.Fill a few containers during the day in case you need water during the night.

It's not a perfect plan to turn off water at night but unfortunately it's needed at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭nc43

Hey zerks can you help me understand something please so the water is off but theres still water from the hot tap (cold water ) why is this and is it safe to drink this if I boil it first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Well it's only recently here I have noticed. I don't pay for half a days supply, so I won't pay. If SKY tried the same I would not let them away with it.

You don't pay for any water.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

nc43 wrote: »
    Hey zerks can you help me understand something please so the water is off but theres still water from the hot tap (cold water ) why is this and is it safe to drink this if I boil it first

That water is stored in a tank in your attic and heated via your central heating.Not recommended to drink-(only use after boiling as a last resort) best store some cold water in a container to use at night.As soon as the restrictions were announced we filled a few jugs etc. with water just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭nc43

Thanks for that zerks.... local shop is closed so I thought it might be ok to just boil the water from the hot tap (lazy I know! )

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

I pay TAX, would that not be paying for water?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

I pay TAX, would that not be paying for water?

Hardly, unless you pay some tax that people in rural areas don't pay? Plenty of homes there have to have their own wells with associated sinking and running costs, so by comparison you are getting water for free. It may be funded out of tax money, but you are not paying any more for it than other people who can't avail of it, so no, paying tax is not automatically payment for water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Back on topic. I fully appreciate the need to conserve water and my only objection is the manner in which Enniscorthy UDC cut it off - regularly - with no prior warning. Forewarned one can at least fill a kettle for breakfast/hot water bottles and the dog's bowl. The first indication I ever get is when I turn on the tap.

Advertisement