Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In a quandary.

• 29-12-2010 8:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

First time poster looking for advice!

I have a 360 (don't know which model, I got it when the first Gears of War came out), and about a year ago, it got the RROD, finally got around to getting it fixed during the summer (not by me, answered an ad on Donedeal), got it back and it worked fine. For about six weeks (in total, about 4 -5 hours of usage).

Now, like a lot of people, money is tight these days.

So, my quandary is....do I take the chance of getting it fixed again (€50.00), buy a refurbished one off Adverts (€75.00) with a three month guarantee, buy a refurbished one from a shop (approx. €140.00) with a twelve month guarantee, take a chance on buying a second hand one privately, or hold on until I can afford a new one?

Also, what's the story with the 4gb model, are they worth the money?

For what it's worth, I don't use it very often, I don't intend to play online, to me it's just a games console.

Thanks (in advance)!

Wedgie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭cycocycle

I bought a re-manufactured 360 in gamestop earlier in the year and so far have had no worries with it. It came packaged from MS with new leads, controller etc Can,t remember now what it cost but to me it was worth the peace of mind of the MS warranty. If I had known about the new S model I might have waited however.
    Personally I wouldnt bother with the 4gb as I tend to install games to my hard drive and I pick up the odd game or demo from XBOX live. If you dont use it much other than to play single player/offline games it would probably be OK. If you had a launch (20gb?) model you will know how much of that space you used and how much you will need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

Don't go back to that guy who did the repair anyway as he did a crap job if it only lasted a few hours. That is unless he is willing to repair it again for free.

Opinion 1: Ask for free repair
    Opinion 2: refurbished one off Adverts: is fairly risky, I do not see the logic in it. Also, the console may be banned from XBL if you want to buy DLC
    Opinion 3: refurbished one from a shop: Best option IMO, you have someone to blame if all goes wrong and you will have a working xbox for at least a year
    Opinion 4: second hand one privately: risky, may be banned, does it have a warranty?
    Opinion 5: brand new: You rarely play it, may not be worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

CORaven wrote: »
    Don't go back to that guy who did the repair anyway as he did a crap job if it only lasted a few hours. That is unless he is willing to repair it again for free.

Opinion 1: Ask for free repair
    Opinion 2: refurbished one off Adverts: is fairly risky, I do not see the logic in it. Also, the console may be banned from XBL if you want to buy DLC
    Opinion 3: refurbished one from a shop: Best option IMO, you have someone to blame if all goes wrong and you will have a working xbox for at least a year
    Opinion 4: second hand one privately: risky, may be banned, does it have a warranty?
    Opinion 5: brand new: You rarely play it, may not be worth it.
    Im the person selling the refurbished consoles on adverts and no they are not banned I check every single one before I sell them,
    They are repaired using a bga rework machine wich is the right way of repairing them any thing else you are being ripped off whch I would say happened to the OP you more then likely payed somebody 50 euro to x clamp your console,the x clamp mod does alot more damage than good.
    What I would do if I was you is go back to that person who fixed it and get a refund under the sales of goods and supply of services act if somebody is carrying out a service and they dont have the proper tools (bga rework station) you are entitled to a refund.
    Dont let them go near your console again because they will do more damage but bring the console to prove its broken.
    And then go from there

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Wedgie

Im the person selling the refurbished consoles on adverts and no they are not banned I check every single one before I sell them,
    They are repaired using a bga rework machine wich is the right way of repairing them any thing else you are being ripped off whch I would say happened to the OP you more then likely payed somebody 50 euro to x clamp your console,the x clamp mod does alot more damage than good.
    What I would do if I was you is go back to that person who fixed it and get a refund under the sales of goods and supply of services act if somebody is carrying out a service and they dont have the proper tools (bga rework station) you are entitled to a refund.
    Dont let them go near your console again because they will do more damage but bring the console to prove its broken.
    And then go from there

Whatever all that means, it probably happened to mine!

That's my lesson for today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

this is the so called x clamp fix http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM4TEIZqOso
    It does alot more damage than good to be honest with you I've about four xboxs looking at me right now that had this so called fix done and cant be reflowed now.
    I'd go for a refund If I was you

• Advertisement
Advertisement