Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outrage of National Aquatic Centre Admission prices

Options
  • 29-12-2010 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi all,

My husband & I were planning to take our family to the NAC 2day. Yesterday I rang the NAC to check the price and it is going to cost my family of 2 adults & 3 children 61 euros for the pleasure.

I spoke with the manager at length about the high prices and he kept fobbing me off. Its ridiculous. He said that they have high operating costs and therefore cant lower the price. I explained that if they lowered their prices they may see an increase in the number of people making use of this luxury item. He said that they lowered prices for a month and saw no increase in numbers. I told him that they would need to reduce prices for longer than that. Once people are assured that the cost to go to the NAC is say under 40 euros for a family, they may start to factor it into their lives. At the moment it is off the radar for many of us because of the high cost.

I don't know about others but we would definitely use the NAC once a month if it became more affordable. I would like to hear your opinions.

At the end of the call yesterday, he told me to keep checking the website for the latest offers. He didn't get it at all.

We won't be going today, or maybe my husband will take the 2 older children while I stay at home with the four year old. Its a joke!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I was looking at their site, they do have good price reductions off peak but at the expense of some of the machines not working. This is extreme peak time for them so I wouldn't expect too much.

It would also be jammers over the holiday period, another reason to avoid it. Nothing worse than queuing up for 30 minutes for each ride on a water chute.

http://www.aquazone.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

To be honest I don't think €61 for 5 people is expensive, especially at such a busy time.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭annfield1978

was so annoyed about the acquatic centre and the cost of going for a simple swim, I wrote to my local TD about it, leo varardkar, my email and his response below

Leo
    I am writing to you regarding the extorniate prices in the NAC. I work inear the acquatic centre and would ideally like to go for a 30 min swim every now and again after work.
    The price quoted to me for this pleasure is €16. The NAC have told me that is on the basis that the facilty is a tourist attraction similar to the Dublin Zoo (her words not mine). I find this amazing given that the facity was paid with public funds. The place is very much steeing people to purchasing memberships similar to private enterprises.
    Who sets these prices?, and are these reasonable, I certainly think not. With rates of obesity increasing in today's society, the use of facilities should be encourgaed and not restricted. I would think the facility is not very busy and the pricing policy should be reviewed given the current economic climate.

Thank you for your e-mail. The National Aquatic Centre is run by Sport Campus Ireland which is a government-appointed pubic body (Quango). Parts of the operation are franchises to private operators.

Like most of public investment in the Bertie-era, the NAC never had a strong business case and it is not a commercial viable operation. It requires a government subsidy on top of the very high charges that they impose on visitors and sports clubs. There are discounts for disavantaged groups, schools etc.

Given the state of the public finances, this subsidy will fall not increase over the coming years. I certainly would not support higher taxes or cuts in essential services to subsidise trips to the swimming pool. I know that's not what you are suggesting.

I would, however, question their business model. They might bring in more revenue if they did not charge so much. However, I don't have access to the market studies that they would have done on this (presumably) and do not have any influence over them as it is run by government appointees.

Regards

Leo

To be honest I don't think €61 for 5 people is expensive, especially at such a busy time.
    Not for those that got laid off who have a family to support.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

Hi I agree with most of you - prices are very high, I wanted to go there recently with my wife and 1 year old son - just for 30 - 40 minutes as my son is very young, but i resigned after i saw how much i'll have to pay. However... I'm from Poland and close to my family city there is a similar water park. http://www.aquaparksopot.pl/ea/strony/index.php?id=66&p=7&k=66We all know that average income in Poland is much lower than here in Ireland, but prices are shocking high at the peak time 1 hour for one adult /kid is 6euro/4.5euro , 3h - 11 euro/ 9euro, no time limit - 14 euro/11 euroMaybe cost of running these parks are really so high, as prices in Poland are similar to NAC prices?

• Advertisement

Perhaps they should open up Dunlaoghaire Baths again.

It use to be 6d for adults and 3d for kids, everyone could afford it. :D

1444h89.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Not for those that got laid off who have a family to support.

I understand what you're saying but are you saying every product, every service should be priced with these people in mind? Should we scrap expensive houses when everyone could live in a 2 or 3 bedroom terraced house. Why bother having hatchback cars or BMWs or Mercs when everyone could be driving a people carrier.

It's a facility that you choose to go to, it's not a necessity and as I said €61 for 5 people seems like reasonable value. How much would it cost for a family of that size to go to the cinema?

I understand what you're saying but are you saying every product, every service should be priced with these people in mind? Should we scrap expensive houses when everyone could live in a 2 or 3 bedroom terraced house. Why bother having hatchback cars or BMWs or Mercs when everyone could be driving a people carrier.

It's a facility that you choose to go to, it's not a necessity and as I said €61 for 5 people seems like reasonable value. How much would it cost for a family of that size to go to the cinema?
    IMC Cinema in Dunlaoghaire have a special rate for the unwaged with conditions that you attend before 5pm and excludes weekends.

This is a clever move for this cinema as it fills up empty seats during the day. Likewise the Aquatic center could do the same. You can bet that this place will be empty weekdays after the Christmas holidays. Same with other services, better some business than no business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Why haven't they a family ticket? A 40 euro family ticket would be reasnable imo!

Why haven't they a family ticket? A 40 euro family ticket would be reasnable imo!
    They make more out of charging 61 euro. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 monkeyduff

I see what you're saying but the place is half empty most of the time. Also, 61 euros is not at all reasonable for 60-80 mins in a cold pool.

Teaching a child to swim and ridding any fear of water is indeed a necessity sir. The government have once again failed children in this area too. Many of our local pools have shut down and we can't afford to join private clubs.

It makes sense to broaden the accessibility of the NAC. There is no denying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Coolmine is a lot cheaper if you want regular swimming lessons, and close by. Finglas isn't too far away either. Theres also the Navan rd pool at Cabra.

The NAC really isn't really a local pool. Its aimed at a very different market IMO. Its more like a mini water park with a national pool for training tacked on. Its expensive for what it is. Though the kids like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 monkeyduff

Navan Rd pool closed down.

monkeyduff wrote: »
    Navan Rd pool closed down.

Theres two pools on the Navan rd.

The classes in St Vincents moved to the other pool at the Cabra end. St. Josephs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

I see what you're saying but the place is half empty most of the time. Also, 61 euros is not at all reasonable for 60-80 mins in a cold pool.

Teaching a child to swim and ridding any fear of water is indeed a necessity sir. The government have once again failed children in this area too. Many of our local pools have shut down and we can't afford to join private clubs.

It makes sense to broaden the accessibility of the NAC. There is no denying it.

I just had a look at the NAC's website

http://www.nationalaquaticcentre.ie/NAC_TimesPrices.php

Assuming your three children are all over the age of 3, you could have gotten your swim for €22 if you took the option of 10am - 12noon. The afternoon session 12noon - 4pm would have costed €34 and the price you quoted is obviously for the peak time session.

€22 for a family of 5 is actually excellent value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭sierra117x

me and everyone i know bar ....offhand 3 or 4 families(out of roughly 60 or 70) are either un employed or on low enough earnings that we're struggling to make ends meet . so no dont base the prices on just unemployed people but do remember theres lots of other people struggling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

sierra117x wrote: »
    theres lots of other people struggling
    Like me. I struggle too, but I really want that '10 BMW estate, you greedy German bastards!!!
    I don't know about others but we would definitely use the NAC once a month if it became more affordable.
    Same here, I'd buy even two BMW's if they were cheaper, even those '09 would do... but them Germans... they don't give a fcuk, that annoys the crap out of me!!!!

PS. I know I could buy 3 years old Peugeot, but I want one of those BMW's, the price is ridiculous! I'm going to write to my TD about it as soon as I finish my morning coffee. Stir the sh*t, why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Teaching a child to swim and ridding any fear of water is indeed a necessity sir.

how is teaching a child to swim a necessity?
    if you want them to get used to the water, take them to the beach during the summer.
    but don't be expecting our taxes to further subsidise your leisure activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

UL arena which has great facilities for Swimming and Gym
    only costs
    Family (2 Adults + 2 Kids): €16.00
    extra Child €3.50

total 19.50

in fairness to the OP there is a bit of a price difference

how is teaching a child to swim a necessity?....

That would depend on important you think not drowning is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

BostonB wrote: »
    That would depend on important you think not drowning is.

it only becomes a "necessity" in the pursuit of certain leisure activities which themselves aren't a necessity.
    I never learned to swim, and I'm in no imminent danger of drowning

I'm sure theres many people who ended up in a river, canal or a sea, or swimming pool unintentionally. Kids are even more likely to come into contact with water. If you want to restrict your options, for safety and leisure and health, you're perfectly entitled to do that. Its a great non weight bearing exercise when you're injured, or have some mobility issue. Personally I think it opens a lot of opportunities. Each to their own.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Your kidding me right?
    Blame the government because a kid can't swim, I have to ask what are the parents doing?

There are loads of swimming pools up and down this country that are reasonably priced, people would do alot to get up and teach there kids themselves instead of "why can't somebody else do it?".Lets not forget the rivers and beaches people can also use for swimming and have done for a very long time.

Next you'll be suggesting the government should teach kids how to ride bikes
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Isn't the original poster complaining about the prices for the Aquatic park at the NAC though? That's not really a suitable place to teach your kid to swim though is it?

Are the prices dear for the swimming pool part as well?

They have a shallow pool separate to the main swimming pool. I assume thats for kids.

We don't use it for swimming lessons, as other local pools are better value. Not as flash obviously. The other local pools are a little shabby. But theres nothng wrong with them. The one in St Vincents closed down in need of repair, I don't think they have the funds to repair it. That was pool for learning, shallow on for the very young, and a separate 25m pool. Very little parking though. I thought there was a problem nationally with a lot of local pools struggling to stay open.

Those cheaper prices for the NAC seem to be in school hours. So wouldn't be that useful for a weekly swimming lessons. You often get decent vouchers/discounts for the NAC on the back of Tesco receipts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

I have never been to the NAC, is the OP talking about a 20m x 7m hotel type pool with three staff and relatively low costs (though I was told by a friend who works in a hotel leisure centre that it is very expensive to heat/clean/maintain/change water in a pool), or is he/she talking about a big leisure centre with huge pool/slides/dive boards/staff/insurance/maintanence costs etc?.

I ask because €61 would seem expensive for a hotel pool but reasonable in my view for leisure centre where there is lots going on and loads for slides etc which are not available elsewhere.

The National Aquatic Centre consists of three main elements –

International Competition Pools

At the heart of the National Aquatic Centre are the international Competition Pools designed to cater for international standard Swimming, Diving and Water Polo. The Competition Waters consist of
    • An international FINA standard 50m x 25m swimming pool with changeable depths and configurations. The pool can rapidly convert from a 50m configuration to three 25m pools catering at any one time for different activities.
    • An international FINA standard 25m x 16.5m diving pool (5m deepest) with a floating floor which can change its depth. This pool facilities 1m, 3, 5m and 10m diving.
    • Seating for 2,500 spectators.
    • European standard timing system, drug testing, marshalling and scoring facilities.

AquaZone / Leisure Waters

The AquaZone is one of the most technically innovative water parks in Europe. Facilities include:

• The Masterblaster
    • The Dark Hole
    • The Green Giant
    • The Flow Rider
    • The Wave Pool
    • The Lazy River
    • The Pirate Ship
    Further details on all of these Water Rides are available on AquaZone.ie.

ToneZone / Gymnasium

The Tonezone is a state-of-the-art health club / gymnasium which feature all of the latest cardio vascular and resistant equipment, aerobics facilities and a dedicated spinning room. It also incorporates sauna, steam room and bubble bay for relaxation.

http://www.nationalaquaticcentre.ie/NAC_facilities.php

Not your average hotel or local pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

this thread is actually null and void in my opinion .. .the OP quoted a price of over sixty quid .. when infact they could have availed of the centre for the price of 22 quid if they had chosen to go off peak.

the NAC isn't just an actual swim ... it is a whole lot more than that.

In todays ireland it is to be expected that people will baulk at any time they are expected to pay for anything remotely luxurious where by a few years ago they wouldn't have given it a second thought ...... there was a great proportion of the population living in cloud cuckoo land for a decade or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭AmcD

whippet wrote: »
    this thread is actually null and void in my opinion .. .the OP quoted a price of over sixty quid .. when infact they could have availed of the centre for the price of 22 quid if they had chosen to go off peak.

I rang the NAC yesterday to ask about opening hours as I was hoping to go early with my baby. I knew that we would only be in there for about twenty minutes and wanted to pay €5 for the most off-peak time. The person on the phone advised me that there was no off-peak price because the schools are off. It costs €14 for an adult all day because the water-rides are open all day.

It only costs €5 for an adult if the rides are closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Any time I was in the NAC it was very busy.

Like the ESB, they're expensive and don't need to lower their prices as they've still loads of customers.

Advertisement