If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speakers for Yamaha RX-V765

Options
  • 29-12-2010 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I just bought a Yamaha RX-V765 second hand and i got a pair of mission 760i speakers with it. These are just connected up to the amp as front speakers now.
    What would i be better off doing, just buy 3 more speakers to use as center and surrounds or should i invest in a complete new set of speakers.
    My budget would be fairly tight around 500 Euro and i like the idea of floorstanders to be used as fronts.
    Any recommendations, i am totally new to home cinema so please excuse me if the post is not 100% clear.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Irishder wrote: »
    Hi,
    I just bought a Yamaha RX-V765 second hand and i got a pair of mission 760i speakers with it. These are just connected up to the amp as front speakers now.
    What would i be better off doing, just buy 3 more speakers to use as center and surrounds or should i invest in a complete new set of speakers.
    My budget would be fairly tight around 500 Euro and i like the idea of floorstanders to be used as fronts.
    Any recommendations, i am totally new to home cinema so please excuse me if the post is not 100% clear.

Irishder,
    Irishder wrote: »
    so please excuse me if the post is not 100% clear.

Jeez - I just wish all posts were this clear!

OK,

Your RXV765 is a cracking receiver - however in my opinion it is not a great match for the Mission 760's which although a good speaker can tend to sound a little 'bright' - which is also something that the 765 was accused of - If it was me I would retire the 760's off to rear duty in the 1st instance and start building a new 5.1 system.

If you wanted something cracking I could offer you the Monitor Audio BX5 Floorstanders( http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Monitor-Audio-Bronze-BX5/ see here for the latest 5 star review!) with the Monitor Audio BX Centre

We can do this system at €499 (funny that ;)) reduced from €669 - however when you add a sub this will really finish the system off but the BX10 Subwoofer will completely blow your budget (£379.95) but it is worth waiting for!

I am a fan of system building and whilst just going out and spending €500 on a 5.1 package will give you a quick improvement to your system - retaining your 760's means that you won't achieve the complete transformation of your system until you get the complete package - however the end result will be significantly better in the long run (and probably much more affordable as well!)

Thanks again for the post and please do drop me a line if we can assist in any way,

Best regards,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.