Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bobby Powers Carrick Wheelers Challenge Sportive 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

i hope thats a little sofware bug somewhere ...

36 % WTF....

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Phil2me

michael196 wrote: »
    i hope thats a little sofware bug somewhere ...

36 % WTF....

I hope so too....

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

marcofan wrote: »
    lads and lassies

mass start or staggered start??? what is the preferred option?

There's nothing like a lovely mass to start off a sportive, but tbh it all depends on the priest. :)

I'm fuming I'll be missing this one, the brother's stag is on that weekend in the other Carrick in a place called Leitrim (is this right, maybe I just didn't hear it right). And he's having the wedding on the day of Tour de Kilkenny. As you can guess, he doesn't cycle...

Best of luck with it lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

There's nothing like a lovely mass to start off a sportive, but tbh it all depends on the priest. :)

I'm fuming I'll be missing this one, the brother's stag is on that weekend in the other Carrick in a place called Leitrim (is this right, maybe I just didn't hear it right). And he's having the wedding on the day of Tour de Kilkenny. As you can guess, he doesn't cycle...

Best of luck with it lads.

Stag party? Strippers?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭damo80

any idea on the numbers signed up yet, is it filling fast? waiting to hear back on a few yea or nay's but dont want to miss the boat on this one.
    as for mass or staggered start; mass start is way more fun and sense of occasion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭marcofan

there is 54 signed up through the website at the moment but we have a good few postal enteries that are not reflected on the website yet. The closing date for enteries is the 22nd of May. We wont be doing enteries on the day. The reason for the closing date being two weeks before the event is we want to ensure that everyone can get the correct size t-shirt and not end up with a guy who is 5ft 2 getting an XXXL shirt that is no good to him.

The t-shirts have a cool design with a pic of Coppi on the front riding over some strada biancha

I dont have any pics of the strada bianca i am afraid as i have never been on the road as its normally closed on the weekends but there is a small pic on the carrick wheelers website giving you an idea of the surface

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Stag party? Strippers?

its a forrested area so should be a few stags about , and maybe more snipers than strippers !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭damo80

there is 54 signed up through the website at the moment but we have a good few postal enteries that are not reflected on the website yet. The closing date for enteries is the 22nd of May. We wont be doing enteries on the day. The reason for the closing date being two weeks before the event is we want to ensure that everyone can get the correct size t-shirt and not end up with a guy who is 5ft 2 getting an XXXL shirt that is no good to him.

The t-shirts have a cool design with a pic of Coppi on the front riding over some strada biancha

I dont have any pics of the strada bianca i am afraid as i have never been on the road as its normally closed on the weekends but there is a small pic on the carrick wheelers website giving you an idea of the surface

thanks Marcofan, bit of time to commit then. cheers for the info. sounds like it could be the start of a new "classic"!!!!

the first 2 challenges that await the riders on the day

both very steep climbs with the first one being relatively short with a super smooth surface the second climb is longer and the surface is a lot deader to make it feel even longer!!!

http://carrickwheelers.com/?p=912

hi Marco,

great to see pics up for such a route.

given that a lot of the routes would not be that well known , especially the tullahought sections,

anyone care to video a live ascent of Tickencor, I certainly hope to see that on video with garmin evidence that it was not filmed from a car !!

serioulsy, should the rider be watching where he was going ?

but fair dues, great video,

can we expect to see more sections video' ed ????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

route-histogram-357546.jpg

OUCH!

yeah: ouch but WOW............ !!! this is where carrick trains.... huh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Yep I think it's Ireland's toughest sportive alright ! It's our version of that 'mad' one in the UK, the Fred Witton. I wouldn't mind giving it a lash, if I'm free (and fit :p).

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

As result of surgery , I am off the bike for a few months . I have an entry for the Carrick Wheelers Challenge on offer if anybody is interested . I have cleared it with the lads in Carrick and the transfer of entry is no problem . The entry cost was 40 euro for me , will let the sufferfest entry go for 25 euro if someone wants it ? PM me if you're interested in taking it up .

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

Yep I think it's Ireland's toughest sportive alright ! It's our version of that 'mad' one in the UK, the Fred Witton. I wouldn't mind giving it a lash, if I'm free (and fit :p).

carrick's route is about 2500m ascending, fred whitton is 3900m with a couple of 30%ers in there. I think there are a few u tube clips of it, and a few with people just laughing at the sight of some of the climbs. I think possibly a tad steeper than the likes of patricks hill. Difficult to know for sure, anyway plain mad :D

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

seve65 wrote: »
    carrick's route is about 2500m ascending, fred whitton is 3900m with a couple of 30%ers in there. I think there are a few u tube clips of it, and a few with people just laughing at the sight of some of the climbs. I think possibly a tad steeper than the likes of patricks hill. Difficult to know for sure, anyway plain mad :D

dont know whether its still going but there was a david lloyd challenge ain North wale s well of 150 miles and 5500m of climbing. And a few steepies there too.

michael196 wrote: »
    hi Marco,

great to see pics up for such a route.

given that a lot of the routes would not be that well known , especially the tullahought sections,

anyone care to video a live ascent of Tickencor, I certainly hope to see that on video with garmin evidence that it was not filmed from a car !!

serioulsy, should the rider be watching where he was going ?

but fair dues, great video,

can we expect to see more sections video' ed ????

this is interesting
    , the thread asked for a videod ascent of Tickencor : /worldwide ( clonmel) posted a descent of Tickencor, including Powers the Pot ............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sACUU6LgOqw

half marks for trying guys .............. Now go ascend............

thank god I have Visa to return to Irishtown Clonmel..........otherwise I could be stopped at the border !!!

Noonan: Walls place,

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Muckers

@marcofan. Regarding t-shirt sizes. There was no option on the entry form to register a size, so what's the story regarding getting proper sizes right on the day.

just looked on there myself, there is an option for T shirt size

what do you think ?,

should it be caught on cam ?

and post the links back on here as well as Carrick website if they want the link ?

what do u think Muckers ?

• Advertisement

hi all

the t-shirt design is now on the web site

http://carrickwheelers.com/?p=979

there is an option for selecting t-shirt size on the website, we are determined that everyone will get a correct fitting t-shirt especially as we have gone for higher spec than the normal cotton t-shirt. let me know if you have any problems

worldwide cycles also have a link up videoing the tickencor climb out of clonmel

any questions give me a shout

@Michael 196. Why not. Got a good laugh with you last year in Castlecomer. Might be fun to see the pain as we climb Tickincor(which I climbed two weeks ago in preparation)

I signed up ages ago for this and could find no t-shirt size option. Either could my club mates. They must have added the option in lately.

Barry,

I take my hat off to you, you did it justice, Congratlations.

I dont mind so much about the other 6 hills of this sportive because I either dont know them or I know what they are like in relation to tickencor. ( mahon falls , Powers. Nire loop etc ).

God it feels like anyone who has previously climbed tickencor , recognises every turn , bump, undulation, captured in the video of this hill.

Folks watch the transmitter as you approach the top only to discover that it is not actually at the top !!!!

http://worldwidecyclesblog.com/2011/04/22/tickincor-a-climb-like-no-other/

As you come in from Kilsheelin , look up for the transmitter: thats where u are going. Or if you are appraching the start from CLonmel. look up to see the transmitter : thats one of your destinations !!!!

Jaysus just on ur garmin, u did enough of a warm up any how.........but fair dues.

Muckers wrote: »
    @Michael 196. Why not. Got a good laugh with you last year in Castlecomer. Might be fun to see the pain as we climb Tickincor(which I climbed two weeks ago in preparation)

I signed up ages ago for this and could find no t-shirt size option. Either could my club mates. They must have added the option in lately.

hey muckers , its gonna be hard to film you guys again when i will be so far off the back !!!!!

but maybe not, u never know, better dust off the bike huh !!!
    ( now where did I put the bike after Castlecomer ??? must be in that big shed down the back somewhere .........).

Will be wearing a wexford wheelers jersey and a little box on my head !! u know the story !!!!

hold on and I will pull up Muckers in action lads ......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgjVG-LmtZI Muckers there: ( I think !! ) from 11 seconds to 1 minute and 6 seconds ( on the inside in the Waterford Sportif Club jersey),

We are the Sportif Waterford lads. Not too difficult to spot us. Just to verify we will not be climbing Tickencor in its entirety. We will turn right at the junction after 3.2k of torture.The first kilometre has an average gradient of 18% after which it drops to an easy 10-12%:D:D:D. It then kicks up again for the last 600 metres before we reach the top. Should be some great film footage available Michael

that is you muckers ? in the video at those times ??, ur right its a right turn at harneys cross.

and descend the powers the pot part i think. .....

"I signed up ages ago for this and could find no t-shirt size option. Either could my club mates"

lads if anyone has had trouble selecting a t shirt size through the website please pm me and i will try to rectify the issue for you

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Why have so few signed up for it? I was sure it would fill up in the first few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Phil2me

Why have so few signed up for it? I was sure it would fill up in the first few weeks.
    Scared to death I'd say...LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Are people saving themselves for the wicklow200?

Advertisement