Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bobby Powers Carrick Wheelers Challenge Sportive 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭marcofan

wicklow will be like a recovery spin in comparison to this:)

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Muckers

michael196 wrote: »
    that is you muckers ? in the video at those times ??, ur right its a right turn at harneys cross.

and descend the powers the pot part i think. .....

@Michael. Sure is me alright.
    Your right. Descend powers the pot and into rathgorrmack for fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Why have so few signed up for it? I was sure it would fill up in the first few weeks.
    This event, promoted
    on Sunday 5th June, will be over the toughest ever course devised in Irish
    cycling, and will be a serious challenge for even the fittest cyclists. The sportive, which will be the hardest
    of any on the Cycling Ireland Leisure Tour Calendar, will be over 160km and
    will include famous climbs such as Seskin Hill in Carrick, Mahon Falls and
    The Mountain Road, both in the Comeragh Mountains, and the climb to
    Kilcash over Tipperary’s most famous mountain Slievenamon
    Phil2me wrote: »
    Scared to death I'd say...LOL

sounds about right...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

Am sure we can find more people to help us around the circuit, and fill the quota

I mean there is a limit to how many tshirts we can share out amongst ourselves.

It is a sportive at the end of the day, so enjoy at ur pace: Not a a race !

Lets rally and petition and get the numbers in ........

Wexford Wheelers fairly well represented : ( without our Jetski ) !!!!

more details of challenges 3&4 on the club website

http://carrickwheelers.com/?p=947

• Advertisement

I have been eyeing up those hills over the past few weeks and today decided to sign up for the 160, checked my diary and its clashing with a weekend away I promised my gf. I would try and re arrange but I already moved it from the previous weekend cos of a two day cycle...... nuts

Bring your girlfriend on a lovely weekend to the sunny southeast, just tell her on the Sunday morning that you have to pop out for a couple of hours. The coppi t shirt will impress her when you come back 8 hours later!

I really wanted that T shirt.... if I do it myself another time will you gimme one?:(

Marcofan,

you know that excuse is wearing thin these days .................

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

Muckers wrote: »
    We will turn right at the junction after 3.2k of torture.The first kilometre has an average gradient of 18% after which it drops to an easy 10-12%:D:D:D. It then kicks up again for the last 600 metres before we reach the top.

average of 18% for a kilometre, that sounds a bit savage. I ride on a few 20%ers but they generally last < 100m !

Id love to do this ride, but probably cant due to other commitments, hopefully I can wangle something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

michael196 wrote: »
    Barry,

I take my hat off to you, you did it justice, Congratlations.

http://worldwidecyclesblog.com/2011/04/22/tickincor-a-climb-like-no-other/

thanks for the video, 'barry' you are one strong cyclist needing no higher than the 21 ring going up there (perhaps you dont have one :)).

latest update on the club website

http://carrickwheelers.com/?p=1013

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Phil2me

I have been eyeing up those hills over the past few weeks and today decided to sign up for the 160, checked my diary and its clashing with a weekend away I promised my gf. I would try and re arrange but I already moved it from the previous weekend cos of a two day cycle...... nuts
    Bring her down for "The Clancy Brothers festival" and just disappear on Sunday mrning for a "couple " of hours.....

@ Marco

will there be an emergency phone number given out ?

possible service on the day ?

yes every participant will get a laminated route map with contact numbers on it in case of an emergency

unfortunately our "boss" Bobby Power lost his battle with cancer last night but the show will go on

please remeber enteries are closing next sunday and there will be absolutely no enteries on the day

Now the commentry on the route is getting interesting, as for me at least, this is the area that I am least familiar with. Once off Mahon falls, I would not know Kilmacthomas too well, scrouty, Lord Waterfords estate etc.

Will check out the videos of the strada bianca as soon as I can .

looks like good tyres would be needed......

http://carrickwheelers.com/?p=1126

after the descent off mahon falls (very tricky descent but most will know it from the kelly tour) its a flat run across to kilmacthomas (there will be a second small food stop just before the village) and then you descend down to the village of portlaw so there will be plenty of recovery time before the strada biancha. I have never rode through courraghmore but i imagine it will be very draining especially as people will have 90miles in there legs at that stage but its not billed as Irelands thoughest sportive for nothing!!!!

I would recommend good tyres of course but also low enough gears, i would definately recommend a 39*25 at least if not lower as lots of the climbs have very steep ramps and it will be important to spin the legs as much as possible early on

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭damo80

marcofan wrote: »
    after the descent off mahon falls (very tricky descent but most will know it from the kelly tour) its a flat run across to kilmacthomas (there will be a second small food stop just before the village) and then you descend down to the village of portlaw so there will be plenty of recovery time before the strada biancha. I have never rode through courraghmore but i imagine it will be very draining especially as people will have 90miles in there legs at that stage but its not billed as Irelands thoughest sportive for nothing!!!!

I would recommend good tyres of course but also low enough gears, i would definately recommend a 39*25 at least if not lower as lots of the climbs have very steep ramps and it will be important to spin the legs as much as possible early on

great training for the Etape then :) the more i read of it the more scared and excited i am to do it. even managed to rope in 3 others to join me!!

good man the more bodies on the start line the better

i am trying to get the towns most famous son to show up but his phone has been turned off with the last week

i am sure he will ride but i would like to have confirmation as it might help to swell the entry as it would be a great chance for people to do a spin with him in a relatively small group

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Junior

Which way is it going to Portlaw from Kilmacthomas ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

I have an entry for this if anybody wants to PM me . Can't do it myself due to injury . Entry transfer was cleared by the late Bobby Power R.I.P. with whom I had correspondence in the last few weeks .

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Muckers

Scrouty has been mentioned here several times. This is a 4k climb and is not on the route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

i am trying to get the towns most famous son to show up

Is this going to be too much climbing for Kelly, hes more of a sprinter isnt he?;)

No seriously - I'm interested in doing this but am worried it might be too tough for me - like whats the etiquette for these things? Would there be a natural selection of groups forming based on ability that can get through it? I don't expect people to wait for me but don't want to ride that distance alone either. It would be some achievement for me to finish it - I have done the Sean Kelly tour of Waterford (only the 100km route) - and while i found it challenging, what ever periods of suffering i went though were soon forgotten by the huge sense of achievement that washed over me as i arrived back to Dungarvan with the other riders I met up with that day.

If Kelly could ride that would be a massive bonus - riding an event like this with a legend like Sean Kelly would be unreal - I'd say the man could tell you a few stories:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭dowtcha

after the descent off mahon falls (very tricky descent but most will know it from the kelly tour)

This is putting it mildly - the main thing is no repeat on last years SK - some unfortunate failed to take the 90 deg bend at the bottom and ended up being airlifted off the mountain a few hundred yards off the road:eek::eek:

Nothing like a bit of real life drama to keep your eye on the road

Junior wrote: »
    Which way is it going to Portlaw from Kilmacthomas ?
    we go straight through kilmacthomas towards newtown parallel to the main cork/waterford road straight through newtown (its only a cross roads)and descend down to carrols cross turn left a drop down to portlaw (caution on the descent as there is a few pot holes and a dodgy bend at the end) and enter courraghmore

we are not going up scrouthy i think ye have enough climbing!!!!

00833827 wrote: »
    Is this going to be too much climbing for Kelly, hes more of a sprinter isnt he?;)

No seriously - I'm interested in doing this but am worried it might be too tough for me - like whats the etiquette for these things? Would there be a natural selection of groups forming based on ability that can get through it? I don't expect people to wait for me but don't want to ride that distance alone either. It would be some achievement for me to finish it - I have done the Sean Kelly tour of Waterford (only the 100km route) - and while i found it challenging, what ever periods of suffering i went though were soon forgotten by the huge sense of achievement that washed over me as i arrived back to Dungarvan with the other riders I met up with that day.

If Kelly could ride that would be a massive bonus - riding an event like this with a legend like Sean Kelly would be unreal - I'd say the man could tell you a few stories:pac::pac:

hi 088, the beauty of sportives is that u ride them at ur own pace always, people wont necesarily wait or u , and if you arirve with a cycling partner, then u will most likly stay with that person most of the day. the mass start will help keep things together,

typically the group stays together untill the first refreshment stop, then larger faster groups depart etc. Natural selection occurs on the road and u can easily mop up a good 8 man group at your own fitness level.

In the Wicklow 200 last year, I mopped up into a group of 15 for the last 30 miles into greystones.

While I suffered on hills last year, I made it up by not stopping at all the refreshment stops. Bring as much as ur own food as possible , be as independant as possible, but enjoy it. It is a tough one, for anyone familiar with even some of the hills, but not impossible. Walk the hills if u have to, and next year you wont need to walk the hills.

my advice to you ? give it a lash.

I rode sportives last year for the first time ever, STK, W200, Leinster Loop, Cork to Galway, Castelcomer, Sky Etape, Swords sportive, all different lengths etc, but same etiquette applies. This year only the Slieve Bloom and three peaks challange so far. but in all, bit of a race at the start followed by a bit of a slog.

visited some beautiful parts of ireland on the sportives, and an added bonus, is that sportives frequently cover parts of routes later used in club races.

Have to hand it to the Sky etape in Clare for atmosphere created .

find ur pace and u will find others at that pace, form a group, get ur up and over, push it on if u want. It is a great training day. its a great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭quintana2

00833827 wrote: »

Hi Guys you will have no need to worry about being left on the road , I will be doing broomwagon / service . i will have a tool kit some spares , maybe a few flasks and some CAKE! ;) All i want from the day is for everyone to enjoy themselves and get home safe and make this an event that the great Bobby Power would have been proud of .Bobby put in a huge effort into this event even though he was battling illness so lets get stuck into these hills and show them who's boss, and remember if the going gets tough the guy in the green van is there to encourage you and get you home even if it takes a " big stick".

enjoy the day!!!

just be gratefull "quintana2" is driving the broom wagon and not riding as he would be inflicting a lot of pain

remember enteries close tomorrow night

all these mystery people !!!

that we probably know ,

except for these unusal / unfamilair names .

'' quintana 2 would normally be inflciting a lot of pain ''

Who could Quintana 2 be !!!!! :D:D:D

• Advertisement

quintana2 wrote: »
    Hi Guys you will have no need to worry about being left on the road , I will be doing broomwagon / service . i will have a tool kit some spares , maybe a few flasks and some CAKE! ;) All i want from the day is for everyone to enjoy themselves and get home safe and make this an event that the great Bobby Power would have been proud of .Bobby put in a huge effort into this event even though he was battling illness so lets get stuck into these hills and show them who's boss, and remember if the going gets tough the guy in the green van is there to encourage you and get you home even if it takes a " big stick".

enjoy the day!!!

any sticky bottles with you ?

Advertisement