Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bobby Powers Carrick Wheelers Challenge Sportive 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

real or imagined.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭dowtcha

What are the chances the number one will feature at least well... once?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Muckers

Did a dry run of 3 of the climbs recently. Seskin, Ticincor and the Nire Valley loop. Most of us know what Seskin is like ie steep and short. Ticincor however is in my opinion the toughest climb ive had the pleasure of taking on. Be aware that after we reach the summit of the beast we will descend for 1k and then go straight into the Nire valley loop. This is a double climb divided by a fast 4k descent. The two climbs are 2.5k and 3k respectively and are hard ascents in their own right.

I won't be expecting a high average speed at the finish line on Sunday

Muckers,

you cannot be saying that was ur first time up tickencor ?

this tullought place sounds short but steep, thats gonna be hard, hard to justify a warm up prior toa 160 K sportive .....

was on the slieve bloom a few weeks back , think Waterford sportive were there, fast race pace for first 45 K then the slog for the remainder.

hopefully the 94 will stay together for most of this. because with a relativly small number for a sportive, mopping up groups along the way wil be difficult if it splits into bits. they could be few and far between .

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Muckers wrote: »
    Did a dry run

Dry? it was Pissing down that day.

The climb out of the Nire is much longer then i thought it would be. Hopefully we will have a view from the top this Sunday, forecast looks good so far.

• Advertisement

Dry? it was Pissing down that day.

The climb out of the Nire is much longer then i thought it would be. Hopefully we will have a view from the top this Sunday, forecast looks good so far.

not everywhere, gorey/ carnew/ shilelagh was sunny and dry for most of today.

@Kayaksurfbum. Was it raining that day? I never even noticed it.

@Michael.
    No ive been up ticincor a few times now but never followed it with the loop of the Nire valley

fair point, god almighty , to follow tickencor with the nire loop.....

what have we done !! signed up for !!!!

suppose it seemed like at good idea at the time....

better order a few thousand gels !!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

seve65 wrote: »
    Statistics, damned lies and statistics::

Mahon Falls, Cat 3, 320m Av grd 6.6%, 4.9Km (max grade 25%)
    http://app.strava.com/rides/603976#8991167

And by comparison, a slightly easier 'Cat 2' climb
    Clogheen, Cat 2, 398m, Av grd 7.1%, 5.6Km (max grade 12%)
    http://app.strava.com/rides/614696#9156856

Great climbing Seve65, I'm guessing you're ready for that Marmotte now ;) (I think that's what you're taking for :o), BTW I'd love to have that 'low' HR that you have, I'd be in the 170's climbing at that pace. Also, I think you should train for the National Hill Climb Championships !!

looks like the organisers are permitting sign up on the day with the caveat that no jersey will be available.

sounds fair enough, to build the peleton number even higher .

• Advertisement

countdown is on,

gotta go clean the bike,

get lunch,

dinner,

check over da bike,

pack the jersey,

organise bars, drinks,

puncture repair etc ..

check weather forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭henboy

michael196 wrote: »
    countdown is on,

gotta go clean the bike,

get lunch,

dinner,

check over da bike,

pack the jersey,

organise bars, drinks,

puncture repair etc ..

check weather forecast[/QUO

You mean your bike is not clean .............:eek:

Is it ever clean: gets a wash about once every 2 months ....

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭531

hopefully the 94 will stay together for most of this. because with a relativly small number for a sportive, mopping up groups along the way wil be difficult if it splits into bits. they could be few and far between .[/QUOTE]

Have only 94 entered? I could be facing a long day alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Auntie Carol

Just got back from watching riders go over climb at Mahon Falls in a strong wind and heavy mist and I have to say I think ye're all bonkers!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Moreofthatjazz

Much Kudos to the Organisers, the route setter, the marshals and all the folks at the tea stops etc. Had a lovely day's climbing, t'was very enjoyable... and thanks especially to the marshal who got my water bottle back to me after a dim moment... thanks folks... hope to see ye again next year...

Just got back from watching riders go over climb at Mahon Falls in a strong wind and heavy mist and I have to say I think ye're all bonkers!:D

Bonkers ? you mean you stoood there in the rain and waited to see us go over : kettle pot black.. LOL :D:D:D

tomorrow, my head is falling off me after the strada .............

Much Kudos to the Organisers, the route setter, the marshals and all the folks at the tea stops etc. Had a lovely day's climbing, t'was very enjoyable... and thanks especially to the marshal who got my water bottle back to me after a dim moment... thanks folks... hope to see ye again next year...

+1 from me too, I'm sure Bobby would have been proud of the organization, the turn out, attention to safety, and for myself at the rear there was welcome encouragement from all the marshals, and the event was a great chance to see places I've never been -Tigancor,Nire Valley, Portlaw, so a big thumbs up to all involved:pac: As for the gardens, tbh I was never as glad to see tarmac on the road back to Carrick!!

Great event. Marshalling, route, foodstops and overall organisation brilliant.

I was a little concerned riding my pride and joy over the strada bianca, to be honest, racing bikes with 700x23 tyres aren't really intended for that sort of stuff, but it seems fine, to be fair.

Numbers taking part seemed low, I don't think there was 300. It will grow. I took part in Slaney CC's first Mount Leinster Challenge 4 or 5 years ago and, if I remember correctly, about 25 did it. Now they get the maximum allowed 300.

• Advertisement

Thanks, Auntie Carol, I suppose we are a bit:eek:!

And my wife thinks I was out enjoying myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

Fantastic event and I loved it. Hats off to the Carrick Wheelers. It was a very challenging route and I think its billing as Ireland's toughest sportive may well be justified. There were lots of great climbs - Tickincor stands out - and the 'strade bianche' section near the end was an absolute blast! The marshaling was excellent throughout, and the food and drink was plentiful and good quality. Oh and the T-shirt is very nice too! I will definitely be back.

cantalach wrote: »
    Fantastic event and I loved it. Hats off to the Carrick Wheelers. It was a very challenging route and I think its billing as Ireland's toughest sportive may well be justified. There were lots of great climbs - Tickincor stands out - and the 'strade bianche' section near the end was an absolute blast! The marshaling was excellent throughout, and the food and drink was plentiful and good quality. Oh and the T-shirt is very nice too! I will definitely be back.

+1 to that. Great event and brilliant organisation. 130 I believe started out with around 50 abandoning during the event. Here's a weird one. My garmin was telling me I was descending while I was climbing the Nire valley loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Originally Posted by cantalach viewpost.gif

Agree completely well done to the organisers.

Looking at the club facebook page, official entry was 125, and 75 finished, so I guess the numbers entering were lower than expected, but hopefully the word will spread for next year - with the effort put into organizing, it deserves only success

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

There was loads of people turning around at the bottom of mahon falls. id say they are included in the non finishers.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Fair play Carrick Wheelers and all the helpers. It realy was a challenge wasent it. Think I saw lamas in a field somewhere along the road or was I seeing things. The rain on the decents was horrible hit 3 climbs freezing. Mahon falls was painfull again and the off road part was great crack. Great course. Hope its on again next yea.r

For those who wish to relive the day out, you're sure to feature somewhere
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1BjaqEl8H8

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Sr. Assumpta

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ Thanks for the memories.......

I was going to comment on the pleasure and the pain, but those photos just about cover it.

Happily wine, sleep & good company have now helped dull the after-effects of the suffering.

Yes, this event lived up to it's promise/threat.

There was also superb and cheery marshalling, more than ample quantities of enouragement, praise and Cadburys Roses from the organisers, and of course that funky T-shirt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Really enjoyed this one. Well done to all the organisors and marshalls - it was a first class event. Pity about the weather for the first half but it cleared up then. Will definitely be back for more punishment next year. I would advise all you boardsies who fancy a challenge to give it a whirl - it's not your average sportive!

Advertisement