Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Printer and Scanner advice

Options
  • 29-12-2010 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Apologies for yet another thread on printers and scanners, I am looking at picking up a multifunction printer in the sales and have narrowed it down to the following. I don't have a great lot to spend (~€80ish) but don't want to buy a piece of crap either (possibly slight contradiction but that's the hope anyway).
    Here are some of the basic info to assist in giving advice as to which is best:
    - Maximum size I will want to print is A4 and it will be used for basic infrequent photo printing (on photo paper) and some basic office type printing.
    - I am not concerned by machine noise or print time.
    - I have a number of family pictures ( 50+) that I want to scan from childhood and would like to get a decent scan quality.

I have been having a look around and narrowed it down to the following in my price range:
    Canon Pixma MP272
    HP Deskjet 3050
    HP Deskjet 2050
    HP Photosmart eAllinOne
    Epson Stylus SX125

Regards and thanks in advance for the help.
    Tommy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

I have several printers and copiers of various types, including all-in-ones. I have long used Epson and HP in preference to other makes, and my experience has been that both makes are reliable, but Epson have a better replacement policy if one goes wrong.

HP are generally very good, but of the list you posted I would think that the Epson offers you better facilities. Also, Epsons load paper from the rear rather than a paper tray in the front. That means it takes up less space, but more importantly the feeding paper doesn't have to fold around a roller as it does in the HP. That means that the Epson will handle thicker paper and even card without jamming, while HP machines don't generally like stiff card or thick photo paper.

The only point about the Epson you list is that it seems pricey to me. For example, the Epson web site

http://www.epson.co.uk/Printers-and-All-In-Ones/Inkjet/Epson-Stylus-SX125

lists the RRP as €39.99

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Hi ART6

Thanks for the advice, The paper loading is something that I had not considered and maybe is something that could swing it for me if the scanner is considered as being of decent quality.

The printing side of things seem to be pretty standard across the board anyway.

I have just checked the link and it appears the epson is €49.99 in argos so if that would put it firmly in my price bracket.

would you consider the epson sx515w better than the sx125?

its very tempting as it is only £53 on amazon.co.uk at the moment..

tommycahir wrote: »
    would you consider the epson sx515w better than the sx125?

its very tempting as it is only £53 on amazon.co.uk at the moment..

Looks like a good spec for the money. Only one other thought that has just occurred to me is that if you like to refill your own cartridges rather than buy new ones, Epson generally use chipped cartridges that can't be refilled without a chip resetter. Basically that means they have a microchip that detects when the cartridge is empty and causes the printed to stop working and display an empty cartridge message. Simply refilling it won't get the printer to recognise it as a fresh cartridge.

Hi Art6

Thanks for the info, I won't be refilling the cartridges so there shouldn't be an issue there. interesting to know though.

I have ordered the sx515w and now am just waiting for it to arrive..

Thanks for all the help.

• Advertisement

No bother. Hope it works out for you.

Advertisement