Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Medical card; casualty

• 29-12-2010 3:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

When we first moved here a few months ago, and before I registered with a GP, a fall meant I needed medical advice; query broken bone in foot. One practice I called in at told me to go to casualty.

When I arrived, I asked immediately re charges; they assured me that my medical card from another area was fine and that all would be free. Would not have entered the building else.;)

Now I am fielding repeat bills and threatening letters from HSE; replies are not being responded to.

Would value any input. I am incidentally an OAP and registered disabled.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Have you furnished them with your medical card number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Have you furnished them with your medical card number?

Yes; they took all the details and the number etc in casualty ... maybe a clerical error?

I made very sure of that at the time of course.. The nurse warned me re charges at the door and I said I had a medical card etc ans she assured me that there would be no charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Your local HSE health office should be able to help you with this. This is the office which would have handled the transfer of your medical card to the area and supplied you with list of local doctors who take medical card patients. The card from your previous area is usually valid for three months after a move.

Moving to another area

If you move to a new Health Service Executive (HSE) Administrative Area, you must re-apply for a new medical card with a new doctor's acceptance form. The existing medical card remains valid for three months. To use your medical card during those three months, you should make arrangements with the Local Health Office in the new area.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/gp_services/gp_services_to_medical_card_holders.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Trish2007

Have you telephoned the accounts department to query the letters?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

The usual way to sort out bills with a medical card is to carefully put you card number on the bill they send you and post it back.

• Advertisement

mp22 wrote: »
    The usual way to sort out bills with a medical card is to carefully put you card number on the bill they send you and post it back.

Will do that again with the next threat of a solicitor they send.. although actually I need to be near that hospital soon so may just call in; with BOTH medical cards.

Thank you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

That would probably be the best bet, to drop into the hospital and show them the medical card.

That would probably be the best bet, to drop into the hospital and show them the medical card.

Yep; a 40 mile drive each way! Hate confrontations too, but there we are. ;)

It is the first time in the ten years in Ireland I have been near a hospital too.

Advertisement