Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem with soda bread rising

Options
  • 29-12-2010 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi

Every time I cook any type of bread with baking soda I have a problem with the rising and just cannot figure it out. The same thing happens no matter what oven I put it in, and I have tried several. So I am sure it is not the oven.

When the bread rises it always, always, always, rises more on side, cracking, and producing a loaf that is not nice to look at and difficult to cut.

I always follow the recipes. Does anyone have any idea what is causing this, what I can do to stop it ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

flynnboy wrote: »
    Hi

Every time I cook any type of bread with baking soda I have a problem with the rising and just cannot figure it out. The same thing happens no matter what oven I put it in, and I have tried several. So I am sure it is not the oven.

When the bread rises it always, always, always, rises more on side, cracking, and producing a loaf that is not nice to look at and difficult to cut.

I always follow the recipes. Does anyone have any idea what is causing this, what I can do to stop it ?

I love soda bread :). You need make sure it is Knead again and again. How much baking soda are you using?

Just a tip, when you take it out of the over cover it in a tea towel or towel and leave it to set.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭flynnboy

1 teaspoon as per the recipe. Covering it after taking it out will not make any difference because it is already risen on one side and cracked by then.:o

1 teaspoon as per the recipe.

I never use 1 teaspoon, half or slightly less is more then enough. I never said covering it would stop it rising :)

Good luck.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Moved to Cooking & Recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭flynnboy

Vanbis wrote: »
    I never use 1 teaspoon, half or slightly less is more then enough. I never said covering it would stop it rising :)

Good luck.

Hmm, thanks Vanbis. That would make sense. I'll try cutting down the amount of soda. :)

• Advertisement

Hmm, thanks Vanbis. That would make sense. I'll try cutting down the amount of soda. :)

No probs Flynnboy. I had the same problem myself when starting out. I got all my tips working in Superquinn bakery, great times.

Let me know how you get on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

I would suggest thoroughly mixing all the dry ingredients on their own before you add the liquid? If you're sure it's not the oven then it might be that the bread soda isn't mixing thoroughly throughout the dough, though it sounds unlikely.

And 1 tsp of bread soda might be exactly what's needed, depending on the quantities of other ingredients, so check with the recipe. I usually use 1 tsp (a level measuring teaspoon, mind, not a cutlery teaspoon, though they shouldn't be hugely different) of soda for every 450g of flour I am using.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Muirgheal

Prenderb wrote: »
    I would suggest thoroughly mixing all the dry ingredients on their own before you add the liquid? If you're sure it's not the oven then it might be that the bread soda isn't mixing thoroughly throughout the dough, though it sounds unlikely.

And 1 tsp of bread soda might be exactly what's needed, depending on the quantities of other ingredients, so check with the recipe. I usually use 1 tsp (a level measuring teaspoon, mind, not a cutlery teaspoon, though they shouldn't be hugely different) of soda for every 450g of flour I am using.

Also turn the loaf 180 degrees 10 mins into cooking- helps a bit.

But I have to say I like the "cracked" look of the top of the cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Possum66

Hi

Hello

I think your problem is not the amount of soda. I bake my loaves in tins, and they would do the same BUT before putting them into the oven I make a very deep cut into the loaf (with a wet knife or a plastic scraper dipped into water beforehand). Then the bread rises nicely in the middle. Yes, it is cracked, but at least it is an even loaf and nice to look at. Mind you I like that rugged look :-)

If you bake your loaf without a tin, just make a cut in the middle or cuts in a cross shape. Don't forget to pinch the edges to release the fairies. Very important - or so I was told :-)

Good luck.

Advertisement