Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A year in Spain

Options
  • 29-12-2010 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

I have been thinking for a long time about moving to Sapin for a year. Learn Spainish and experience a new way of life.

Anyone have any tips for me? Locations - job hunting ???

I have an hons degree in Law but I dont think this is of much benifit to me, I currently work for a retail clothing chain as a weekend manager and as a merchandiser for a jewellery company.

These are just jobs that pay the bills.. not a career and i have grown fed up of killing myself working and getting no enjoyment from it.

TIPS - ADVICE - INFO!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

madonna123 wrote: »
    I have been thinking for a long time about moving to Sapin for a year. Learn Spainish and experience a new way of life.

I have an hons degree in Law but I dont think this is of much benifit to me, I currently work for a retail clothing chain as a weekend manager and as a merchandiser for a jewellery company.

These are just jobs that pay the bills.. not a career and i have grown fed up of killing myself working and getting no enjoyment from it.

TIPS - ADVICE - INFO!!
    Depends where you want to work but with no spanish at the moment then your best chance is just bar/restaurant work , and as soon as we are into the new year start applying , my brother has a degree in mech eng and was in the same boat as you , he looked up irish bars online and emailed a few he ended up in germany in stuttgard and hes still in the city 3 years later loves it there. The bar work to start with gives you a good chance to get settled and if you lash into learning spanish you could be in a decent position at the end of the summer to apply for other types of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Well I've been living in Spain the past 9 months - working in Gibraltar. Would you consider that option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭clarelad

is there much work there?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,288 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

madonna123 wrote: »

TIPS - ADVICE - INFO!!

Do a CELTA or similar qualification, so that perhaps you can teach English to business or law staff.

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

clarelad wrote: »
    is there much work there?

It's a small enough place, but there are jobs, especially in the financial industry, not so sure about law. Our jobs were sorted before we went out there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

You could do a TEFL course, and as someone mentioned, teach business or legal English over there. You would find, if you stuck around for a year or so, you're Spanish would be pretty good, then your degree could come in handy, especially with Irish or UK expats wanting to relocate to Spain, and needing someone to look over the legal documents....

Advertisement