Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sounds like shooting

Options
  • 29-12-2010 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,
    What is that noise that sounds like rifle shooting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Rifle shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

probably a crow scarer on some of the farmland or the natives have gone feral again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

They are returning...

But seriously OP, if you want someone to answer your question. We need more detail.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Relax, its not rifle shooting, just good old fashioned handgun shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

tdv123 wrote: »
    Relax, its not rifle shooting, just good old fashioned handgun shooting.
    who? What? Where? Why?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

Shooting from the Military Range up past Willow Grove at Carrigour (spelling ?) can be clearly heard some times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

pixbyjohn wrote: »

whats that for?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    whats that for?

A shotgun start is a golf tournament format in which all groups of players tee off simultaneously from different holes. Each hole on a course will be the tee off hole for each foursome. Group 1 would start from hole 1, Group 2 from hole 2, etc. Each group starts play at the same time. A shotgun start will allow a tourney to end at the same time it takes one foursome to finish a full round or 18 holes of golf. If there are more than 18 teams, some double up at the 4 and 5 par holes as A & B teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Huntthe wrote: »
    Shooting from the Military Range up past Willow Grove at Carrigour (spelling ?) can be clearly heard some times.

Altidore

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

This range has not been used by the army/FCA for some years now.

A local clay pigeon (shotgun) club shoots there most Sunday mornings, but shotguns are not loud enough to be heard in Greystones. A few friends of mine are members.

Greystones/Charlesland is not that far from the countryside so it is not that unusual to hear gunshots. The sound of rifle shots for some calibers can be heard for a few miles. This does not necessarily mean that anything illegal is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

2011 wrote: »
    This range has not been used by the army/FCA for some years now.

you used to be able to hear fairly hefty explosions coming from there, but this was back in the 80's - there are still signs up warning of unexploded shells.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I have seen a farmer out scaring crows with a shot gun on the field opposite Eden Gate shops. There is a farmhouse there with sheds so it's close enough. Not sure if it's the time of year for doing a bit of bird scaring.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Advertisement