Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fergal White Muzzle Break

Options
  • 29-12-2010 4:26pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I originally had a moderator on the 30-06. A T8. Didn't like it and with such a large caliber and small, light barrel it would warm up pretty quickly. I tried firing without the mod on and no real problems bar one. There is a fairly noticeable kick from the rifle.

The mod used to take some of this kick away so i decided i needed something else. So next step had to be a muzzle break. I bought one a year ago. It was a generic .30 cal one and while somewhat effective was not ideal. So i rang Fergal White. He had the threading size of the barrel from the time he done it and made a muzzle break for the rifle. I dropped down last night so he could align the break and bore the hole. This was all done in less than an hour.

Never got a chance to fire it last night, too late. I got up this morning and took a walk to the bog where i usually zero when i cannot make it to the range. The difference was incredible. It took more of the kick out of the recoil than the mod, but as the break was made specifically for this rifle and the ports vented so as to aid in recoil managment it was a pleasure to fire. There was little difference in my previous zero, and i couldn't be happier with it.

Got a nice little surprise when i range Fergal to tell him how i got on. He made the break out of Titanium. I took if off and couldn't believe how light it is.

Anyway just wanted to show it off a bit. :D (Sorry about the poor pic quality :o).

picture.php?pictureid=8302&albumid=939&dl=1293635678&thumb=1 picture.php?pictureid=8301&albumid=939&dl=1293635678&thumb=1 picture.php?pictureid=8300&albumid=939&dl=1293635608&thumb=1 picture.php?pictureid=8299&albumid=939&dl=1293635608&thumb=1 picture.php?pictureid=8298&albumid=939&dl=1293635608&thumb=1
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Nice looking bit of kit there EZ, well may she wear for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

I have a very similar one that Fergal made for my .270- I had been meaning to put a post just like this one up to sing its praises!

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

nice job
    expensive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

sweet muzzle break, fergal really does good work. did it make the rifle sound much louder? i heard they're supposed to do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Lovely job Ez, he showed us some when we were up to him. Must make another trip soon :D

• Advertisement

declan1980 wrote: »
    sweet muzzle break, fergal really does good work. did it make the rifle sound much louder? i heard they're supposed to do that

I can't speak for EZ's, but my .270 would deafen you. You only forget to wear the ear defenders once! :eek:

But it's totally worth it, it brings recoil down to .22mag levels, leaving me to concentrate on my breathing and trigger pull :D

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭stick shooter

Fair play fergal, that is some tasty work , Would you mind sending me a pm with roughly what one would cost .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Cheers lads.
    declan1980 wrote: »
    .... did it make the rifle sound much louder? i heard they're supposed to do that

I honestly couldn't say so. The rifle is cruel loud anyway. If anything i find a slight reduction is noise, but that could be the break or it could be in my head. Its the recoil i was concerned about and its way down now. Gives me more confidence behind the rifle.
    Glensman wrote: »
    You only forget to wear the ear defenders once! :eek:

+1. Made that mistake once and ONCE only.
    Would you mind sending me a pm with roughly what one would cost .

PM sent.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

Titanium is a lot more difficult to work with than stainless .Good to see it been used in rifles .

I could be wrong, but if remember correctly he said he can get 2-3 stainless ones bored with the same bit, but it takes 2 bits to bore out 1 Titanium break.:eek:

• Advertisement

Mine is identical in design to your own EZ, but Steel- unfortunately funds were a Severe problem for me- so Titanium was out. The steel doesn't feel like a compromise though- I'm Extremely happy with it! :D

Its by no mean a compromise. There is only weight difference between them as it has NO effect on performance. And in all honestly with the size of the break even the steel is light enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Whats the story with Muzzle Breaks and the law?

Are these treated in the same way as Silencers/Moderators
    or do they fall outside of any definitions in the law ?

~B

bullets wrote: »

~B

I think they fall outside... They don't actually do anything, just redirect gasses.

If it were me ordering, i'd order steel again. As EZ said, for all the size of them- there can't be much diff between steel and TT...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

~B

I wouldn't think there's any problem with them. May be corrected on that but I'd be very surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Was just curious as moderators surely just redirect gas too,
    yet they need a letter of permission and apparently muzzle breaks do not.

Since I got a visit from the boys in blue a few weeks back specifically asking to inspect my moderator/silencer ONLY
    (and could not give a fiddlers about the guns/alarm or safe) 3 years after my initial letter of permission was issued its got me wondering about all the other stuff out there shooting related that either falls inside or outside our firearms laws and what you could stick on the end of yer gun.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I can't think of any interpretation off the top of my head that would cause legal hassle over muzzle breaks. We really only get it over moderators because of Hollywood's image of the silencer being the ultimate in assassination weapons (and how empty coke bottles have escaped attention given their Hollywood image I don't know). Moderators got a specific mention in the Act; not much else that screws on the end of your barrel did, so breaks, bloop tubes, and so on, are all free from hassle.

Was just curious as moderators surely just redirect gas too,

A muzzle break is designed to redirect the gas in such a way as to reduce the felt recoil. This usually involves gases being diverted to the sides and slightly rearward and up through vents in the top of the break. There should be NO vents in the underside of a break. Defeats the purpose and will lead to muzzle flip.

A moderator is completely different in its workings. It allows the gases from the fired shot to expand and cool as the interal size of the moderator is much larger than the barrel diameter. This expansion and cooling reduces the pressure of the gas as it leaves the moderator. Hence the reaon you get a different POI with a mod on as opposed to off. The gas still goes out the "front" of the rifle so is not redirected.

With regards to the law. As Sparks has said TV and Hollywood imagery of how "silencers" are dangerous has alot to do with the curreent situation we find ourselves in. Muzzle breaks do not share this bad press.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭MACT1RE

That's a nice brake!

As for a mod, the pressure of the gas as it leaves the moderator has nothing to do with the POI shift. The POI shift is caused by the weight of the moderator changing the harmonics of the barrel which causes the bullet to be released at a different point in the oscillation of the muzzle which produces a slightly different POI at say 100yard.

MACT1RE wrote: »
    As for a mod, the pressure of the gas as it leaves the moderator has nothing to do with the POI shift. .

So you're telling me that if i chrono a bullet with no mod and then with the mod on there will be absolutely no drop in MV?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

ezridax wrote: »
    So you're telling me that if i chrono a bullet with no mod and then with the mod on there will be absolutely no drop in MV?

A boards member did recently and there was a drop in MV
    Hence the reason Target shooters do not use mods, as they are trying to squeeze the last fps out of a round to make 1000+ yards

Nope, I didn’t tell you anything of the sort. What I said was the weight of the moderator on the end of the barrel is what causes the shift in POI, not the pressure of the gas leaving the moderator.

A boards member did recently and there was a drop in MV
    Hence the reason Target shooters do not use mods, as they are trying to squeeze the last fps out of a round to make 1000+ yards

I know lots of target shooters that use mods, but if you mean the guys who shoot competition within the long range disciplines such as Benchrest, Fclass and Palma? Then the reason they don’t use mods is because it’s against the rules of their sport.

MACT1RE wrote: »
    Nope, I didn’t tell you anything of the sort. What I said was the weight of the moderator on the end of the barrel is what causes the shift in POI, not the pressure of the gas leaving the moderator.

I know lots of target shooters that use mods, but if you mean the guys who shoot competition within the long range disciplines such as Benchrest, Fclass and Palma? Then the reason they don’t use mods is because it’s against the rules of their sport.

Well I have never seen a target shooter using one.
    To get a round past 1000 yards one wants all the fps one can achieve, be that a 32" barrel or the desired twist/grain weight.
    It would be great for the sport if everyone was using one as planning permission would be easier got if the range produced less noise

If memory serves me there was 89-100 fps less with a mod on Vs off. Same rifle same ammo same day chrono'ed by a boards user

I'm not disagreeing with the harmonics POI affect, I am saying that the mod slows down the round.
    Similar to a free flow racing exhaust versus an EPA approved exhaust on a motorbike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

To get a round past 1000 yards one wants all the fps one can achieve, be that a 32" barrel or the desired twist/grain weight.
    It would be great for the sport if everyone was using one as planning permission would be easier got if the range produced less noise

If memory serves me there was 89-100 fps less with a mod on Vs off. Same rifle same ammo same day chrono'ed by a boards user

I'm not disagreeing with the harmonics POI affect, I am saying that the mod slows down the round.
    Similar to a free flow racing exhaust versus an EPA approved exhaust on a motorbike.
    Tac ,i chronoed my rifle and a good few of my mates and found NO differnce in M/V ,with or without a mod.

tomcat220t wrote: »
    Tac ,i chronoed my rifle and a good few of my mates and found NO differnce in M/V ,with or without a mod.

If it's lies I'm tellin, it's lies I was told

Come on, one test proves nothing. I’ve seen rifles appear to shoot faster with a mod on and some appear to shoot slower.
    It’s a hard one to call cause if you think about it, I can’t see how a mod should be able to affect the MV one way or the other. A mod doesn’t contact the bullet so how can it slow it down? and once the bullet leaves the barrel the gas is no longer accelerating it so how can it speed up in the mod?
    Yet tests will sometimes show an increase or drop off in MV with a mod on. It’s a hard one to call alright.

Personally I think it has something to do with the muzzle being either compressed or strained by having the mod treaded on top of it which could change the way it expands as the bullet leaves the crown which could increase or decrease the pressure of the gas for that last split second.

Either that or the Unreliability of ammo and chronographs.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Probably a lot more to do with the fact that pretty much every organised target shooting discipline out there bans their use, from ISSF to Palma and at every range in between. Disciplines that don't ban them are a lot rarer, in fact I can't think of any that we do in Ireland. The idea, as I understand it, is that a moderator makes it easier on the shooter (by reducing noise and flinch and so forth), and apart from the basic necessities (jackets, slings, etc) that you have to have, everything else should be a challenge for the shooter rather than an aide. It's why you don't see many target rifles with muzzle breaks either.

Well gave the rifle and muzzle brake a good testing today. Results were excellent.

The recoil is now comparable to a .223 cal or a modded .308. The barrel was able to stand up to 7 shots one after the other without excessive heating compared to the usual 3 shot max i got out of her before.

There was 1 inch difference at 100yd from the previous zero so all in all i extremely happy. Definitely a huge difference between the custom made to fit MBs and the "generic" ones that fit any .30 cal rifles.

Well gave the rifle and muzzle brake a good testing today. Results were excellent.

The recoil is now comparable to a .223 cal or a modded .308. The barrel was able to stand up to 7 shots one after the other without excessive heating compared to the usual 3 shot max i got out of her before.

There was 1 inch difference at 100yd from the previous zero so all in all i extremely happy. Definitely a huge difference between the custom made to fit MBs and the "generic" ones that fit any .30 cal rifles.

If you fire her in low light do you get a fancy Muzzle blast effect ?

• Advertisement

Yep. :D

Advertisement