Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell wireless connection broken

• 29-12-2010 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hey, the wireless connection on my Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop is broke.
    The warrenty is up. Woul dI be better off getting the part replaced (was quoted 159 euro for this) or just buying one of those wireless cards that go into the side of the laptop?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Woul dI be better off getting the part replaced (was quoted 159 euro for this) or just buying one of those wireless cards that go into the side of the laptop?

A USB jobbie would be a better option than paying out that sort of money. Who the hell quoted you €159 anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 stressederic

I got that quote from dell. That was for the engineer to install the part too. It was around 80 euro fr just the part. I have one of those dongles attached now. Its a Scientific Atlanta one. It worked fr about an hour but then packed in so we're back to that big stuid wire hanging out from the back:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

I got that quote from dell. That was for the engineer to install the part too. It was around 80 euro fr just the part. I have one of those dongles attached now. Its a Scientific Atlanta one. It worked fr about an hour but then packed in so we're back to that big stuid wire hanging out from the back:o

So now your original inbuilt wireless broke and then another USB one broke after an hour? A pattern is emerging ....

Are you sure that the onboard wireless is actually faulty? What type is it and how did you arrive at the conclusion that it was broken?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I bought an internal dell card on ebay for around 10 euro for my NC10

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

bhickey wrote: »
    So now your original inbuilt wireless broke and then another USB one broke after an hour? A pattern is emerging ....

Are you sure that the onboard wireless is actually faulty? What type is it and how did you arrive at the conclusion that it was broken?

Ditto. Bit of a coincidence two have two separate wireless cards fail within hours. What troubleshooting have you done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 stressederic

Well first I rang UPC. They went through all different things with me over the phone. The wifi button on the laptop doesn't turn green when I press that and my iphone connects ok to our wireless so thats how they concluded that the problem must be with the actual laptop and not them. Dell wanted to charge a fee of 50 euro to diagnose the problem for me over the ph, but I rejected as I thought I might as well just use the dongle. Now I''m very confused as to why that has stopped working.....any ideas???

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

If you want I'm sure we can try some troubleshooting over the net.

On my dell I can press fn+f2 to enable or disable wireless. UPC just want to rule out their hardware as a fault.

Is your dell wireless card still showing in the device manager? If it is, it'll show you the model name, and you should be able to download the most up to date driver from the dell website. Once you've that done, I'd uninstall everything from control panel that mentions either the dell card, or the one you added later. Restart and install new drivers (wouldn't even bother with the software side of things) and see how you get on.

Course, you could just be really unlucky. No sense throwing away money without giving it a good test though!

Advertisement